Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly old duffer  (Read 12993 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Silly old duffer
« Reply #30 on: 18 January 2019, 13:47:01 »

If you are going to "ban" a group of drivers who cause most accidents ... which group should it be .....  ?

In November 2018, there were 5.3 million over-70s with full driving licences in Britain, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

There were 11,245 people involved in road traffic accidents where the driver was in that age group - a rate of two per 1,000 licence holders.

For Britain's 2.8 million drivers aged 17 to 24, the rate was more than four times as high, at nine per 1,000.

The DVLA did not provide figures on whether this simply reflected that the older age group were on the road less than the younger age group. However, a separate study from the National Travel Survey suggests that over-70 drive an average of 1,000 miles a year more than under-20s.

probably not the elderly ???  :)  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 January 2019, 13:55:03 »

If you are going to "ban" a group of drivers who cause most accidents ... which group should it be .....  ?

In November 2018, there were 5.3 million over-70s with full driving licences in Britain, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

There were 11,245 people involved in road traffic accidents where the driver was in that age group - a rate of two per 1,000 licence holders.

For Britain's 2.8 million drivers aged 17 to 24, the rate was more than four times as high, at nine per 1,000.

The DVLA did not provide figures on whether this simply reflected that the older age group were on the road less than the younger age group. However, a separate study from the National Travel Survey suggests that over-70 drive an average of 1,000 miles a year more than under-20s.

I suppose we could ban both the young and the old. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 January 2019, 13:57:52 »

I wonder if the coppers really tested him for booze........despite what they say is standard procedure.

Just a thought.  :)

Yes they have as, you correctly state, it is standard procedure no matter who you are ;)

I think belligerent elderly royals are excluded, Lizzie. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 January 2019, 14:43:06 »

They crashed while swerving around old folks who had pulled out in front of them, who then drove off blissfully unaware of the carnage they had left behind.  ;D
Do accident statistics take in to account who was at fault or do the statistics simply rely on who has placed a claim.  :-\
As always,there are good and bad drivers of all ages but, as said, not observing and adjusting to the speed limit is a test failure, weather and conditions permitting.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2019, 14:44:17 »

I hear what you all say and in so many ways agree with all :y

However, 30 mph on local roads, that also have NO minimum speed limit, is not a sign of driving incompetence. Just remember we all will be old one day and will need our freedom to get around. If an older person, or anyone else, can still be considered to be well enough to drive so be it.

With all of us though, for the sake of the safety of others, we must hang up the keys when we fail to drive to modern standards, as my parents had to, and no doubt I will one day.

As for my comments about youngsters, and amazingly I once was a 17 year old new driver, many are actually very good drivers and are no problem at all ( just as I was ;D ;D).  However, they lack experience and do have hot head moments. That is why premiums for that age group are so high.

My point is do not just pick on the older motorist, like the Duke. Perhaps EVERYONE should undergo a medical and abbreviated practical test every 5 years. All the time we have left to actually drive cars and for them not to drive us, with ever increasing demands on the competence of all motorists, this should be the way to go.  I for one expect to give up driving, if it does not give up on me first, in about 10 years; then I'll drive a mobility scooter!! :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 January 2019, 14:47:20 »

However, 30 mph on local roads, that also have NO minimum speed limit, is not a sign of driving incompetence. Just remember we all will be old one day and will need our freedom to get around. If an older person, or anyone else, can still be considered to be well enough to drive so be it.

With all of us though, for the sake of the safety of others, we must hang up the keys when we fail to drive to modern standards, as my parents had to, and no doubt I will one day.

As for my comments about youngsters, and amazingly I once was a 17 year old new driver, many are actually very good drivers and are no problem at all ( just as I was ;D ;D).  However, they lack experience and do have hot head moments. That is why premiums for that age group are so high.

My point is do not just pick on the older motorist, like the Duke. Perhaps EVERYONE should undergo a medical and abbreviated practical test every 5 years. All the time we have left to actually drive cars and for them not to drive us, with ever increasing demands on the competence of all motorists, this should be the way to go.  I for one expect to give up driving, if it does not give up on me first, in about 10 years; then I'll drive a mobility scooter!! :D ;)

I think driverless cars should be just about ready for mass production by the time I become too doddery.

Every cloud..... :y

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 18 January 2019, 14:50:22 »

I didn't see any mention of banning anyone.  :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2019, 15:00:57 »

This^^^^. You report to your nearest race track. The local "Stig/Stigette" sets a lap time. You then have 10 laps to post a time within 75% of his/her time.  :D

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 January 2019, 15:07:53 »

I wonder if the coppers really tested him for booze........despite what they say is standard procedure.

Just a thought.
  ;) mmm , that could have been very awkward

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 January 2019, 15:09:19 »

Let's get real, it's carvavans that need to be banned from the roads!  :D  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #40 on: 18 January 2019, 15:17:26 »

Let's get real, it's carvavans that need to be banned from the roads!  :D  ;D

Absolutely. Nobody needs a caravan, hotels are available.  ;D (I'm channeling the whole "drone" thing there)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 January 2019, 15:39:02 »

Everyone should be made to take some sort of competency test at 65 and every five years after, at their own expense. I'm not talking a full driving test, that would be unfair. But something to prove that you were not a danger to yourself and other road users.

Driving home this morning, on a 50mph A road, there was a Nissan Juke footling along at 30 with a queue of frustrated drivers behind, including me. It was only a matter of time before someone tried an unsafe overtake and, eventually, a car three back in the queue did. No harm done...this time.

When I got past, I noticed the driver was an elderly woman......and her knuckles were very white.  ;D

STEMO! :o :o :o

So anyone who is driving carefully, within the speed limit they want to do which in this case is 30mph on a non-motorway road should not be driving?!  Just because everyone, including me, wants to race along at the speed limit or more does not mean those that don't are not safe drivers, no matter what their age. Those that are not patient with this type of "slow but safe" driving and consider unsafe driving to counter-act it perhaps should look at themselves and consider if they should be on the road.

I am more worried about all those youngsters who race around, oblivious to the highway code and laws generally, and put others at major risk of injury or death.  They are the ones the police must clamp down on.
There are laws :o

When did that happen ???

It is as much an offence to impede other road users as it is to drive like a idiot. Certainly falls under the umbrella of driving without due care as a minimum.

Recently followed some bell end in a reasonably new  Freelander all the way from Fontwell to Pulborough doing a constant 25mph with their hazard lights on.

Shooting people is a touch excessive for most things, but it is effective ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 January 2019, 15:40:23 »

I think driverless cars should be just about ready for mass production by the time I become too doddery.

Every cloud..... :y

Still young at heart eh Opti?!  :D :D :-* :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 January 2019, 15:42:39 »

Range Rover? I thought it looked more like a Disco 4 in the photo.  :-\

Freelander 2  ;)

Freelander, we had a spare in the royal fleet (stored in the proving ground) so he's already got a replacement  ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 18 January 2019, 15:51:27 »

This^^^^. You report to your nearest race track. The local "Stig/Stigette" sets a lap time. You then have 10 laps to post a time within 75% of his/her time.  :D
Malcolm for Minister of Transport.  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.