Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: connect desktop to Internet via a a 3G phone?  (Read 1101 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
connect desktop to Internet via a a 3G phone?
« on: 03 December 2009, 14:40:09 »

I am pretty desperate to get away from dial up phone to some form of broadband. No ADSL where I live.

The mobile phone companies here in Spain do a 3G USB modem dongle but I believe you can also connect a desktop PC to the Internet via a 3G phone. What sort of cable do you need or does the phone come with one? 

I might even go back to having a mobile after 4 years without one and get rid of my landline!

Varche 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: connect desktop to Internet via a a 3G phone?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2009, 14:44:32 »

the cable should come with the phone....or use bluetooth  :y

ive done it using bluetooth in the past.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2009, 14:58:10 »

Hang on a bit!

I haven't a clue what Blue Ray is or Blue tooth. I used to be right up with technology but got "off the train" five years ago. My last mobile was a Nokia5146.

If it comes with a cable great. I'll use that.

Next question then. My car still has the handsfree kit for the Nokia 5146. Can I (cheaply) connect my mobile, if I get one, up to it to charge and be useable?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2009, 16:46:30 »

the cable should come with the phone....or use bluetooth  :y

ive done it using bluetooth in the past.

same as jim, great connection too. not too slow either.

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2009, 17:12:23 »

I connected my laptop to the internet through my phone about 5 years ago. It was very expensive though and I dropped it very soon.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2009, 17:12:43 »

3g connection is not too bad for internet (0.3mb) but better off using a 3.5g phone or dongle (Sim Free dongles are cheap enough now), running at 3.5g or HSDPA will see good results, up to 7.2mb speed.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2009, 17:20:50 »

I would be very very wary of how much data you will be using though mate, and remember the case recently of some company director using a pc via a mobile to access the internet and landing a £6600 bill IN ONE MONTH from Orange for the amount of data he used......!!!

Be careful !!!!

:y
« Last Edit: 03 December 2009, 17:21:26 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2009, 17:23:16 »

I would be very very wary of how much data you will be using though mate, and remember the case recently of some company director using a pc via a mobile to access the internet and landing a £6600 bill IN ONE MONTH from Orange for the amount of data he used......!!!

Be careful !!!!

£5 for 3gb internet on the  mobile with three. and i pay 15 for 3 gbs on my dongle as well which i use all the time now.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2009, 17:45:18 »

internet in Spain is very expensive compared to the UK. The 44k dial up part for my landline unlimited is about£20 per month!

The Orange 3G dongle  with speeds up to 3Mg is £41 per month "unlimited" with a cap of 10Gig and then for rest oif month speed drops to 128k . Aren't you glad of UK prices!

V

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2009, 19:00:26 »

Be careful !!!!

£5 for 3gb internet on the  mobile with three. and i pay 15 for 3 gbs on my dongle as well which i use all the time now.

3gb isnt that much to be honest......

I downloaded the Top Gear Vietnam Special to my iPhone last night and that hour and a quarter programme was 852mb........which is getting on for 33% of your monthly allowance then.......

The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

KillerWatt

« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2009, 23:39:33 »

I haven't a clue what Blue Ray is or Blue tooth. I used to be right up with technology but got "off the train" five years ago.
Bluetooth has been around for at least 15 years.

If it comes with a cable great. I'll use that.
Mobiles work great as a modem, but if you are limited to GPRS then you might as well forget it.

Next question then. My car still has the handsfree kit for the Nokia 5146. Can I (cheaply) connect my mobile, if I get one, up to it to charge and be useable?
"Cheap" depends on whether there is an adaptor to convert your car kit to your current model.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2009, 09:57:38 »

Be careful !!!!

You need to watch you data use VERY carefully, 3GB is nothing, and there are very nasty charges if you go over.

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2009, 12:57:55 »

I am pretty desperate to get away from dial up phone to some form of broadband. No ADSL where I live.

The mobile phone companies here in Spain do a 3G USB modem dongle but I believe you can also connect a desktop PC to the Internet via a 3G phone. What sort of cable do you need or does the phone come with one? 

I might even go back to having a mobile after 4 years without one and get rid of my landline!

Varche 

Varche! I did look at the dongle system in Mallorca this year and the cheapest for 3Gb was around €42 per month. Seeing I am not in Mallorca all the time it was not worth it. I just use dial-up from Orange when I am there. I did use my mobile phone with cable a couple of years ago and I soon ditched that idea when the bill came in.  :'(
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

KillerWatt

« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2009, 18:26:07 »

Be careful !!!!

That only happened because he couldn't grasp the fact that one movie (even in DivX/Xvid format) was hitting him for a minimum 700MB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.