Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christchurch - poor beggars!  (Read 603 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Christchurch - poor beggars!
« on: 22 February 2011, 13:51:45 »

Well my Mum and Dad's friends out there are OK.

Looking on TV , Seems like a lot of the buildings that are recent don't look too earthquake proof. Shame about the cathedral.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Christchurch - poor beggars!
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 13:55:38 »

I know... Got a few friends acquaintances in the area too... No news as of yet :'(

Of course, I'm sure they're fine and just not able to get word out to those of us lower down the list of priorities  :-/ ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 13:57:34 »

Yes indeed, we feel for them all! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

For some reason I do not expect earthquakes there, but of course they are in a part of the world that is potentially always at risk :( :( :(

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 14:03:43 »

devastating - Kiwis are a hardy bunch - they'll get back on their feet soon - hopefully theres not too many more to add to the death toll  :(
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 14:20:18 »

http://mtaspiring.school.nz/Tephra/ThewhereandwhenofNZearthquakes.html

That is great info Varche! :y :y :y :y

It really highlights that earthquakes are a real, unfortunate, feature of that part of the world.  We are lucky to be in our parts of Europe! 8-) 8-) 8-) ;)

bluey

• Intermediate Member
  • West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2011, 14:41:17 »

I have two freinds who moved there a couple of years back, so far they haven't responded to my Skype messages.  Bit worried about them at the mo.

Update - mate got online just now, apparently it was really hairy due to it being not only a powerful one but very shallow too, hence the buildings falling over.  His place is like a refugee centre but his missus and kid are fine -he got his son out the nursery which had part-collapsed but no-one hurt there.

There is severe damage to the roads and infrastructure with some localised flooding.  he says it's difficult to describe it at the moment, lot of people in a bit of a daze from it happening.

If anyone else has friends or family over there, I hope they are fine.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 14:50:31 by bluey »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2011, 15:05:26 »

I have two freinds who moved there a couple of years back, so far they haven't responded to my Skype messages.  Bit worried about them at the mo.

Update - mate got online just now, apparently it was really hairy due to it being not only a powerful one but very shallow too, hence the buildings falling over.  His place is like a refugee centre but his missus and kid are fine -he got his son out the nursery which had part-collapsed but no-one hurt there.

There is severe damage to the roads and infrastructure with some localised flooding.  he says it's difficult to describe it at the moment, lot of people in a bit of a daze from it happening.

If anyone else has friends or family over there, I hope they are fine.

I would think that the effects on the infrastructure may have stopped your messages getting through (??) ;)

bluey

• Intermediate Member
  • West Mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2011, 16:15:34 »

I think it was more my not thinking about the clock - it was about 11:00pm their time when I first tried to get in touch.  My mate got up to fire up the PC and update family and friends back here that they're all okay, which is why I got to talk to him briefly for a few minutes. 

He was telling me in their street last night they got a couple of barbeques out and everyone chucked in a load of food and some wine so they could all eat and think about what had happened together. The damage to the church in the middle of Christchurch is what has shocked them all so much down there as it's very much a city icon.  Power and phone lines in the Christchurch area are pretty much intact by the way, so internet access is fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.