Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Un)safe following distances - TAILGATING  (Read 3274 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
(Un)safe following distances - TAILGATING
« on: 07 September 2006, 11:59:33 »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this, but I am absolutely SICK of winkers who insist on driving two inches from my rear bumper when I always try so hard to keep a safe distance myself.

As much as I love my Omega's - I'm giving some strong consideration to packing in my car and travelling around on trains instead, for this reason.

I cannot remember the last time I did the eleven mile drive to work or back, without at least one person driving dangerously close for a prolonged period of time.

Last night, I was on the A436 – Keeping a good distance from the traffic ahead. Watching them at a safe distance, they literally looked like a chain of cars joined together. They can’t have been able to see anything ahead, apart from the boot of whatever was in front.

It seems to me that the law does bugger all to prevent a practice which is hugely unsafe.

There is absolutely no reason for it; nobody gets there any faster by tailgating. Yet so many people do it.

Sheer selfishness. Putting the lives of families at risk to get to work 2 minutes faster.

I’m a safe, (reasonably law abiding!) and confident driver, but I’m slowly starting to loose my confidence and have very little enjoyment in driving anymore.

I can’t work out whether many tailgaters are aware of what they’re actually doing, or not. They act as if they’re not, however it takes loads more concentration to drive close to something, than it does to keep at a comfortable distance. To me – it’s natural to keep further back because it’s easier!

I have tried all tactics to remove tailgaters easily, and literally nothing works. If you slow down – they get closer. If you speed up – they stay on your arse. If you dab the brakes – they usually start being aggressive which can be very dangerous. I mildly dabbed the brakes on a very bad tailgater the other day. He followed me for miles, lights flashing, in a very dangerous manner. I only finally lost him when I pulled onto the M5 and gave the V6 some welly. (Left his rover 200 standing!)

Later that evening I had a visit from the police – he reported ME for dangerous driving. Even though he followed me aggressively for so long. Utter crap – I was keeping to speed limits and abiding by the road rules. Thankfully it didn’t go anywhere legally due to no evidence, but it was a horrible experience and just goes to show. However because he was in his mid 30’s, and I’m 22 with a v6.. Guess who the police took sides with? Not me, needless to say. They gave me a very hard time over things I’d not even done. And when I told them about his antics – they told me not to “push it” by lying and said if I continued to accuse him of such things I’d be arrested for “public disorder offences”..

Anyone else feel the same or want to share any experiences? How do you deal with tailgaiters?

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: (Un)safe following distances - TAILGATING
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2006, 12:17:09 »

What exactly were the police accusing you of??  There are a multitude of reasons why you may have used the brakes.  If it had an adverse affect on the driver behind, then he was too close - simple fact!

How can they accuse you of lying, what basis were they assuming the other party wasn't..

Complain!  and loudly!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2006, 12:17:48 »

disturbing story mate - not surprising the police attitucde - as they have to follow up a complaint and TO THEM it would look like your account is simply tit for tat. Something i learned a long time ago.

Dont give up the v6 you will miss it - and i hate the train - so will you, standing in rain, delayed, cancelled trains late at night after work and no seats, disgusting virus`s being cast around the carridge and mobiles bleeping and ipods booming.

How do i deal with them - flick my rear fog lamps - for that split second they think its brake lights without you touching the brakes. Sometimes i blow them away..... ;)

Obviously the safe thing is to ignore them or pull over and let them pass but lets be honest few of us do.

Chin up matey  :)
« Last Edit: 07 September 2006, 12:18:43 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2006, 12:23:27 »

I feel for you mate I have the same thing happen to me quite often and as of late have started to just put the rear blind up and ignore at the end of the day so long as I am in control of the front of my car, I am not the one in the wrong.

If someone hits me from behind its there fault not mine, the road code today is not obeyed by most drivers and this is part of the reason driving can be so dangerous.

The road code today is not followed as it should be i.e safe following distances but the book does come in handy sometimes.

Tailgating and any other dangerous act imo puts me off driving but I still do it, why should I let other pillocks on the road determine how I live my life.

I have to admit I give my car plenty of usage but now with two kids in the back I drive alot more cautious and what I have been told time and time again its never yourself that causes accidents it others who are inexperienced and think they are above the law who cause them.

Rant Over

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2006, 13:04:36 »

Later that evening I had a visit from the police – he reported ME for dangerous driving. Even though he followed me aggressively for so long. Utter crap – I was keeping to speed limits and abiding by the road rules. Thankfully it didn’t go anywhere legally due to no evidence, but it was a horrible experience and just goes to show. However because he was in his mid 30’s, and I’m 22 with a v6.. Guess who the police took sides with? Not me, needless to say. They gave me a very hard time over things I’d not even done. And when I told them about his antics – they told me not to “push it” by lying and said if I continued to accuse him of such things I’d be arrested for “public disorder offences”..

Anyone else feel the same or want to share any experiences? How do you deal with tailgaiters?

I suggest you write a detailed account of this driver and send it with a complaint about the Police who visited to the Chief Constable, and demand an apology.

Next time get in first to the Police, I do now - worth it if they complain.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2006, 13:06:55 »

you could always mount a small camera on the back parcel shelf, and record it yourself.. along with the reg plate.

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2006, 13:25:44 »

Have a look at www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk The forum's quite entertaining.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2006, 13:37:11 »

Some good stuff on there  :)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2006, 13:54:43 »

It annoys the hell out of me, especially when i've got the kids in the car. Even worse when i'm in the volvo as they somtimes end up in the rear facing seats in the boot.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2006, 13:57:53 »

Sometimes when they really get annoying; I brake slightly with my left foot whilst keeping up my speed with the accelerator. If they don't back off; I put up the rear blind & try to ignore them.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2006, 14:06:38 »

I like the camera idea tunnie.

What camera setup would you use though?

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2006, 15:23:39 »

The LGV drivers wind me up, Manoeuvre, signal, mirror  >:(
Retired

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2006, 18:26:11 »

I am checking into the legality of a sign in the rear window which reads:

[size=48]POLICE[/size]
[size=10]advise you to[/size]
[size=48]KEEP BACK[/size]

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2006, 18:28:17 »

[size=48]POLICE[/size]

I like that Mr McBurger [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2006, 18:35:11 »

Some good stuff on there  :)
Middle laners!  >:( Annoy the f*** out of me, particularly when they change into the 3rd laners on a 4 lane section.  >:(

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2006, 18:42:27 »

[size=48]POLICE[/size]

I like that Mr McBurger [smiley=thumbup.gif]

The combination of Mr Mcburgers sign printed on the rear blind and deployed at the right time and a rear veiw camera might put the a**sholes that tailgate off maybe they may think the meega there sat in the boot of is an unmarked police car ;)
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2006, 18:49:05 »

drop two cogs and pull the handbrake at the same time works for me, as for the filth a letter to your local rag and a complaint to the police complaints board, cant let the oinkers away with that it amounts to harassment, if they tried it on me id tell em to opps right off
« Last Edit: 07 September 2006, 18:49:52 by mr_des »
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.