Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatso camera  (Read 4174 times)

peterjohn36

• Fareham
    • View Profile
Gatso camera
« on: 06 September 2006, 22:38:54 »

Driving home tonight in a stream of traffic doing approx 25 mph just going thru the gatso and would you believe it a motor bike came speeding past all the cars must of been doing 40 ish, so you can guess what it will be my car on the photo aswell as the overtaking bike, hope they relize its the bike and not my car that was speeding, did not  get the bikes number.

RonaldMcBurger

Re: Gatso camera
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2006, 22:42:39 »

They take two photos. The time is stamped on each down to the millisecond I believe. The time difference between the first and second pics is matched against the distance shown to have been travelled by you. It will show you were not speeding.

peterjohn36

• Fareham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2006, 22:46:41 »

They take two photos. The time is stamped on each down to the millisecond I believe. The time difference between the first and second pics is matched against the distance shown to have been travelled by you. It will show you were not speeding.

Thanks for your reply Finlay, in that case I know I will be way under the speed limit.

Pete

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2006, 23:17:46 »

Yup.

Speed cameras are not as smart as they want us to belive.

As Fin says they take 2 photos, the older grey type cameras which are Gatso's both photos have to be compared by hand by someone. They then count the number of lines your passed between each photo.....

The blue cameras are digital and are a smarter, but again take 2 photos

since you were crawling your fine dude.  :)

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2006, 11:27:26 »

Next time accelarete to 145 then you will miss the second picture, and you defo won't get caught.... :D :o :D
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2006, 11:37:14 »

Yup.

The blue cameras are digital and are a smarter :)

Sorry, but the cameras coloured blue simply monitor traffic flow.  Traffic master and other traffic systems use them and the information they generate for their traffic reports....  They are coloured blue in order to distinguish them from the speed cameras.

However, there is a new type of digital camera around they are mounted on a taller pole than the Gatso and these are digital, sending the images via an ADSL connection.

For more info about cameras - follow this link: http://speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2006, 11:55:50 »

Yup.

The blue cameras are digital and are a smarter :)

Sorry, but the cameras coloured blue simply monitor traffic flow.  Traffic master and other traffic systems use them and the information they generate for their traffic reports....  They are coloured blue in order to distinguish them from the speed cameras.

However, there is a new type of digital camera around they are mounted on a taller pole than the Gatso and these are digital, sending the images via an ADSL connection.

For more info about cameras - follow this link: http://speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

This is what i meant by the blue camera:

These are speed cameras and are digital, they don't need lots of markings in the road, just very 2 slim lines in the road.

These ones are digital, and do not run out of film.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2006, 12:00:00 »

Either way both camera's look good for racking up points on drivers licenses.

TheOutcast

« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2006, 12:32:45 »

There are some around our way; Northampton; that are high up on poles.
I think they're yellow, but because they are so high it's difficult to tell.
Each one takes your picture as you pass and then works out your average speed on the section, so you can't slow down for the cameras and speed up in between.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2006, 12:41:58 »

Each one takes your picture as you pass and then works out your average speed on the section, so you can't slow down for the cameras and speed up in between.

I think they are the specs camera's, on the main road that goes through northampton I think.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2006, 12:45:15 »

be careful x25xe some of the high up blue ones are as mentioned above, average speed cameras

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2006, 12:45:30 »

This is what i meant by the blue camera:

These are speed cameras and are digital, they don't need lots of markings in the road, just very 2 slim lines in the road.

These ones are digital, and do not run out of film.

As it says on the tin its a TRUEVELO it takes your pic as you drive towards it not away like a GATSO, it doesnt flash as it would be dangerous as your travelling towards it,it works on an inductive looop like traffic lights, hence the little white lines in the road, not radar like a GATSO thats why non GPS spped camera dectors dont pick them up, they also use normal film not digital

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2006, 12:48:03 »

THey have these type on the m25 in roadworks and ive seen them on the m6 again in roadworks.
Be cautious if you see signs that say 'Average Speed Cameras'

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2006, 13:12:39 »

THey have these type on the m25 in roadworks and ive seen them on the m6 again in roadworks.
Be cautious if you see signs that say 'Average Speed Cameras'

Near junction 17 and 18 if I remember right on the M25.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2006, 13:12:54 by nixoro »

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2006, 13:26:05 »

Tunnie,

I apologise - I thought you were talking about those roadside cameras that are TOTALLY blue!  My Apologies.  Cheers for the warning about the high up ones.

Yes, I have also seen the Turevelo is some spots and spotted the two white lines on teh road surface.

Average Speed cameras are the ones to be cautious of.

M25 cameras are between junctions 17 and 18.

Whever, these are not safety cameras as described with the possible exception of motorway road works ones.  If they were trying to advocate safety, there would be cameras outside every school, nursey college etc.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2006, 14:34:01 »

no problem x25... yeah i remember seeing the average speed cameras on the m25 when picking up project b, glad it had cruise control!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2006, 14:56:02 »

I find cruise great in situations such as this.

I generally set it a couple of MPH below the limit.  I find that you still have to watch when descending inclines though as the speed tends to creep up.

TheOutcast

« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2006, 16:18:47 »

I believe that all of the cameras in Northamptonshire are of the type that picture you from the front.
At least one though, has been changed so that it can get you from the rear also.
(It's on the A4500, Wellingborough Road, near The Trumpet Inn) [smiley=beer.gif]
It was announced in the local paper, and, if you look closely, you can tell from the way it's pointing, because it can still  only monitor one lane at a time. ;)

TheOutcast

« Reply #18 on: 07 September 2006, 16:49:47 »

I believe that all of the cameras in Northamptonshire are of the type that picture you from the front.
At least one though, has been changed so that it can get you from the rear also.
(It's on the A4500, Wellingborough Road, near The Trumpet Inn) [smiley=beer.gif]
It was announced in the local paper, and, if you look closely, you can tell from the way it's pointing, because it can still  only monitor one lane at a time. ;)
I generally set mine a little above the limit. After all , the cameras are supposed to be set at 10% plus 2mph above the limit. Which means 79mph on motorways and dual carriageway, 68mph on 60mph roads and 35mph on 30 mph roads, and then there is usually a bit of an error on your speedo.
It works for me. I had my last speeding ticket in 1980. I was towing a Trailer Tent, clocking 80mph in the outside lane of a motorway. I saw them at the same time that they saw me, I braked hard and they clocked me 66mph. Of course, there were no cameras then, the police just timed you with a stop watch, over a measured distance.  

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2006, 22:31:05 »

i just knackered up my plates so they cant be read works over here any way with the price of my bus if i get done for speeding il send the paper work off backdated a day and break her into tiny pieces and buy another cheap meega ha ha
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.