Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Close calls  (Read 2243 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Close calls
« on: 07 September 2006, 22:38:47 »

I was travelling in the outside lane of the M62 in my Range Rover (before the Omega)when the car in front ran over a road sign which must have previously knocked down. The sign flew up in the air and was heading straight for the car. It slid up the bonnet and when it hit the widscreen blew into thousands of pieces. It was polystyrene, the smell in the car was awful. I can laugh now but at the time I thought I was a gonner.
Retired

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Close calls
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2006, 08:28:29 »

I was driving a 1.1 fiesta :-[ at the time when I was crossing over a four way junction my intension was to go across at the lights, anyhow I was sitting at the lights waiting to cross when the turned green I made my move to go straight forward when out of nowhere some old boy trying to beat the lights came hurtling into me pushing my car into the railings, at the time I had my dad in the car with me and he said to me as it was all happening by which time I had almost stopped he's gonna hit you, which he did.

The driver of the car coming the opposite way should have waited for me to pass and so in the end the insurance company went my way.

But at the point when my dad said he is gonna hit you I thought I was a gonna.

After looking again at things If I had been any further forward he would have gone into my door and done some serious damage.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2006, 08:32:35 by nixoro »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2006, 11:54:44 »

As a passenger in a Rover 75, travelling down the M6, a old type Mini shed it's rear wheel, which disappeared under our Rover, came through the floor, and wedged itself under the brake and clutch pedals.

My mate who was driving managed to pull onto the hard shoulder and stop by knocking the gear lever into neutral, and gently applying the handbrake.

Whew!
I like red cars

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2006, 13:28:25 »

I think I posted this before, so I'll try and make this the short version...............

November last year, I left the in-laws in Bucks at around 6pm one Saturday night. I had the family on board and the theory was that Boy would fall asleep somewhere up the M1. The route I was taking was M1, A50, M6, M74,, etc etc.

Upshot was he didn't fall asleep. Something to do with the M1 being predominantly lit.

So by the time we got to the M6 around 8 he was still awake, so I said to SWMBO if he isn't asleep by 8:30 I'll make a fuel stop to save waking him up later, ('cos I knew I'd have to!), should he actually nod off. Good idea she said.

So by 8:30 we were approaching Charnock Richard services and I thought, 'that'll do!'. I was however in lane three with about a mile to go and there was a not inconsiderable ammount of traffic in lanes 1 & 2, (for a change!!). In order to find a sizeable gap to change lanes gracefully and exit to the services I found it necessary to accelerate fairly aggressively and took the car, (briefly!), up to about 120 MPH. I signalled, changed l;anes and exited perfectly safely.

Now, it took about 30 seconds or so I guess to pull up in front of the services and open my door. When I did I heard two or more sirens going Southbound. Happy that they weren't after me, we went inside to imbibe ourselves with some Coffee etc.

Now to cut a long story short, the sirens I heard were Police cars pacing a car going south on the northbound carriageway, in lane 3!!!!! The lane we'd left not 30 seconds earlier!!

Now if Boy had fallen asleep, we'd've been in lane 3 and hit him!! AND! Had I not exceeded the speed limit so agressively in order to exit the motorway, we'd've been in lane 3 and hit him!!

For the record, he met his demise when he ploughed into a family in a car about a mile further south. They were fairly beat up but ultimately ok. He died at the scene.

It still sends shivers down my spine when I think about it!!
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2006, 13:36:43 »

That is scarey.  It wasn't your time obviously.

I was riding my m/bike behind a pallet lorry once, when a pallet came loose, flew up into the air towards me and clipped the top of my helmet.  

It barely touched, but left a good scratch.  3" lower and yours truly would not be here, I'm sure.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2006, 14:09:45 »

When I was kid I was in my uncles Herald when we were slammed from behind pushing us forward towards a barrier on a raised section of the Ring Road. The Herald hit the barrier & wedged itself underneath with the front wheels dangling over the edge. Thank God for the barrier or we'd have dropped over the edge. We all walked away, all be it a bit bruised & shaken!!
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2006, 14:27:35 »

When I was kid I was in my uncles Herald when we were slammed from behind pushing us forward towards a barrier on a raised section of the Ring Road. The Herald hit the barrier & wedged itself underneath with the front wheels dangling over the edge. Thank God for the barrier or we'd have dropped over the edge. We all walked away, all be it a bit bruised & shaken!!

Now thats spooky,

I used to live in Coventry as Bo Bo knows

When i was a kid, i was in the back of my mums Herald going to visit my little brother in Gulson Road hospital, as we came off the Ring Road the lights changed so we stopped, only to be hit from behind by a wagon which pushed us into the barrier which saved us from going over the edge. How about that Bo Bo :o

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2006, 14:45:53 »

Now thats spooky,

I used to live in Coventry as Bo Bo knows

When i was a kid, i was in the back of my mums Herald going to visit my little brother in Gulson Road hospital, as we came off the Ring Road the lights changed so we stopped, only to be hit from behind by a wagon which pushed us into the barrier which saved us from going over the edge. How about that Bo Bo :o

Wow now that is really spooky, we were at the bottom of the Holyhead Rd.
If you say your Herald was yellow then................. :o
Talking of Holyhead; I'm off there now for a few jars  [smiley=beer.gif]
& congrats on your 250
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2006, 15:09:23 »

I think I posted this before, so I'll try and make this the short version...............

November last year, I left the in-laws in Bucks at around 6pm one Saturday night. I had the family on board and the theory was that Boy would fall asleep somewhere up the M1. The route I was taking was M1, A50, M6, M74,, etc etc.

Upshot was he didn't fall asleep. Something to do with the M1 being predominantly lit.

So by the time we got to the M6 around 8 he was still awake, so I said to SWMBO if he isn't asleep by 8:30 I'll make a fuel stop to save waking him up later, ('cos I knew I'd have to!), should he actually nod off. Good idea she said.

So by 8:30 we were approaching Charnock Richard services and I thought, 'that'll do!'. I was however in lane three with about a mile to go and there was a not inconsiderable ammount of traffic in lanes 1 & 2, (for a change!!). In order to find a sizeable gap to change lanes gracefully and exit to the services I found it necessary to accelerate fairly aggressively and took the car, (briefly!), up to about 120 MPH. I signalled, changed l;anes and exited perfectly safely.

Now, it took about 30 seconds or so I guess to pull up in front of the services and open my door. When I did I heard two or more sirens going Southbound. Happy that they weren't after me, we went inside to imbibe ourselves with some Coffee etc.

Now to cut a long story short, the sirens I heard were Police cars pacing a car going south on the northbound carriageway, in lane 3!!!!! The lane we'd left not 30 seconds earlier!!

Now if Boy had fallen asleep, we'd've been in lane 3 and hit him!! AND! Had I not exceeded the speed limit so agressively in order to exit the motorway, we'd've been in lane 3 and hit him!!

For the record, he met his demise when he ploughed into a family in a car about a mile further south. They were fairly beat up but ultimately ok. He died at the scene.

At least the ***** had the decency to die, my blood ran cold at that story!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2006, 15:21:50 »

At least the ***** had the decency to die, my blood ran cold at that story!

Frankly Martin, I think the a*sehole got off light!!
If I have to explain you won't understand!

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2006, 17:13:11 »

I was negoiating a motorway roundabout leading onto the M60 when the guy alongside me decided he wanted my bit of the road and dived into my lane without a glance to see if anything was alongside. I spotted him moving over and braked hard and blew the horn as a warning.He then had to stop at the lights where he proceded to shout something out of his drivers window whilst giving me the V-sign and another sign that signifies his thoughts about the reason I need to wear spectacles!
I decided to ignore him,which seem to upset him even more.Then the lights changed and he selected reverse and slammed his towbar into the front of my car before driving off at full speed onto the motorway!
The repairs cost £300 and although I got his number the police weren't interested because I didn't have any witnesses!
The roads are full of tossers who don't give a opps about anybody else.

royston1945

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2006, 17:23:28 »

Doh, I meant to start a new thread 'Road rage '-not reply to this thread :-[ :-[

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2006, 17:28:39 »

Scary stuff, obviously your lucky day Rod.

You haven't by any chance got pointed ears, yellow eyes and tail have you? ;D
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2006, 18:33:07 »

I was negoiating a motorway roundabout leading onto the M60 when the guy alongside me decided he wanted my bit of the road and dived into my lane without a glance to see if anything was alongside. I spotted him moving over and braked hard and blew the horn as a warning.He then had to stop at the lights where he proceded to shout something out of his drivers window whilst giving me the V-sign and another sign that signifies his thoughts about the reason I need to wear spectacles!
I decided to ignore him,which seem to upset him even more.Then the lights changed and he selected reverse and slammed his towbar into the front of my car before driving off at full speed onto the motorway!
The repairs cost £300 and although I got his number the police weren't interested because I didn't have any witnesses!
The roads are full of tossers who don't give a opps about anybody else.

When and reg no - might as well publicise it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.