Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega **Iam Depressed Car Acceleration Problem**  (Read 5354 times)

dgainda

• View Profile
Omega **Iam Depressed Car Acceleration Problem**
« on: 05 September 2006, 18:54:52 »

i brought my Omega 2 years ago and I cannot find anyone that can regonise whats wrong with it!!! been to even 2 main dealers..they put it on the tech 2 and find nothing...had new exhaust system, fuel filter, spark plugs, ht leads, breather hose(from cam cover) camshaft sensor, timing belt, adjustor idle and gasket, new alternator,c02 sensor, exhaust manifold gasket... and STILL NO LUCK....what the hell can it be!!!!! arrrrghhhhhhh feel like smashing it in a wall....

problem = This is an intermittent problem. When ticking over revs drop to nothing then pick up. On a bad day every time I take my foot off the throttle the engine cuts out. Starts first time when restarted, but if you do not keep revving it will die again. ( intermittant throttle mostly in 1st gear no power!!!!)Help Thanks
actually please help I beg!!!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Omega **Iam Depressed Car Acceleration Problem
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2006, 19:17:51 »

I've no idea :-[  but a year, model, engine type & size will probably help though.  ::)

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2006, 19:18:16 »

Clean the idle control valve and clean out the filter on the back of the engine

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2006, 19:20:00 »

It stalls therefore it is a X20XEV

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2006, 20:07:37 »

Assuming not drive-by-wire, the stalling when is likely to be Idle Control Valve. Take ot off and clean with carb cleaner, then a quick squirt of oil before refitting.

Are you saying it holds back on acceleration? Any particular rev range?

If so, check multirams, and HT stuff...
Grumpy old man

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2006, 20:41:55 »

Sorry my car is Vauxhall CDX 2.0l 16v s reg 96,000miles

the thing is everyone has a different solution to my prob.... are any of you mechanics and live in London and can gaurntee a fix? I have been ripped off by mechanics that say its x,y,z when its non of them! the tech 2 machine says its all clear... this must mean there is a blockage.... in the 1st gear you press excellerator full and the car just about moves... you should be able to wheel spin the car!

any body will to fix it? or know anywhere I can go? I am desperate!!! I will travel anywhere in London..iam in Greenwich

many thanks

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2006, 20:46:20 »

hello Martin whats a "X20XEV" what is this part? I probably have had it done

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2006, 20:50:27 »

Sorry my car is Vauxhall CDX 2.0l 16v s reg 96,000miles

the thing is everyone has a different solution to my prob.... are any of you mechanics and live in London and can gaurntee a fix? I have been ripped off by mechanics that say its x,y,z when its non of them! the tech 2 machine says its all clear... this must mean there is a blockage.... in the 1st gear you press excellerator full and the car just about moves... you should be able to wheel spin the car!

any body will to fix it? or know anywhere I can go? I am desperate!!! I will travel anywhere in London..iam in Greenwich

many thanks

Humm i suspect blocked breathers would not help... real problem on the 2.0's.. i just cleaned mine big improvement.

As for it stalling all the time, i too suspect the idle control valve! Take that off and give it a good clean with some carb cleaner.

If its help your after... i can be around. I am going back to uni soon at Brunel West London. I have a house in Hayes, Jc3 of the M4. You can either bring it over, or if i get some tools together pop over on the tube.

I strongly suspect idle control valve & breather problem.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2006, 20:51:25 »

hello Martin whats a "X20XEV" what is this part? I probably have had it done

X20XEV is the technical name for the engine itself.

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2006, 20:51:35 »

hi martin i see that a "X20XEV" is an idle control valve.. i had this fitted by vauxhalls nothing changed....

the car is generally good nik

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2006, 20:56:22 »

hi martin i see that a "X20XEV" is an idle control valve.. i had this fitted by vauxhalls nothing changed....

the car is generally good nik

X20XEV is the engine.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2006, 12:39:47 »

i brought my Omega 2 years ago and I cannot find anyone that can regonise whats wrong with it!!! been to even 2 main dealers..they put it on the tech 2 and find nothing...had new exhaust system, fuel filter, spark plugs, ht leads, breather hose(from cam cover) camshaft sensor, timing belt, adjustor idle and gasket, new alternator,c02 sensor, exhaust manifold gasket... and STILL NO LUCK....what the hell can it be!!!!! arrrrghhhhhhh feel like smashing it in a wall....

problem = This is an intermittent problem. When ticking over revs drop to nothing then pick up. On a bad day every time I take my foot off the throttle the engine cuts out. Starts first time when restarted, but if you do not keep revving it will die again. ( intermittant throttle mostly in 1st gear no power!!!!)Help Thanks
actually please help I beg!!!!!

Right what I would be tempted to do is take the air intake pipe off and see if the disc in the throttlebody housing moves freely mine was sticking do this with the engine off to prevent revving, mine was doing exactly the same until I did a full throttlebody clean. You also would need to make sure the small breather pipe from the rocker cover to the throttle body is not blocked and that the small hole where the breather connects onto the throttlebody is not blocked.

Also once all this is done confirm the accellerator cable is not slack after doing all this, I no longer have stalling and the idle is spot on. Acceleration is pretty good although my breather system needs a second look, think the rear breather that runs to the oil seperator is coated in crud which doesn't help things and to top it I will be needing to change the rocker cover gasket in the very near future still not done.

Maybe also worth soaking the Idle Control Valve for a little while in carb cleaner should help better the idle.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2006, 12:44:11 by nixoro »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2006, 13:13:35 »

This problem can not be practically cured by paying garage money, it should be fairly cheap to sort it DIY though if you are methodological and willing to spend the time. If you don't think you are up to DIY it, or know someone who is willing to help, you may be better-off selling it on because as I said it is impractical to spend garage money on it.

On the plus side, on the 2.0L this should be fairly easy as the engine bay is large and there is easy access to most bits.

As people said here, Idle Control Valve (ICV), or breathers, of vacum pile leak, air intake manifold leak, or other problem with intake manifold moving parts... The waay forward is to take the relevant bits off and examine them.

And X20XEV is the ENGINE CODE, which identifies the engine type. If you see this code on the invoice, it means the item description is probably 'blah blah blah valve thingy blah blah for engine type X20XEV', not that the garage changed the engine over...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2006, 13:25:36 »

I'm going to nominate a leak in the induction pipework.

That would cause all the symptoms you're talking of. Unmetered air getting into the combustion chambers can cause all sorts of trouble.

Check all the plastic/rubber hoses around the throttle body for splits & bad joints then check the induction manifold for cracks/loose nuts/busted gaskets.

As a quick trial, you could take the air filter out and try running it like that. That would reduce the likelyhood of air being sucked in from elsewhere.

Hope this helps in some way.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2006, 14:17:51 »

ok revs dropping to zero is too lean a mix for whatever reason bad petrol, sticking egr, heavy breathing into inlet manifold, faulty throttle position sensor ie potensiometer track breaking down etc etc as for spinning wheels not in a 2l mate not unless its wet or your tyres are shagged, best off selling this one and buying a good 2.5 or 3l.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2006, 14:23:43 »

Could it be as simple as a new fuel filter?
I like red cars

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2006, 15:32:08 »

No it couldn't, because if you are right then we will all look very silly for not thinking about it in the first place and we can't have that!  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2006, 15:35:48 »

No it couldn't, because if you are right then we will all look very silly for not thinking about it in the first place and we can't have that!  ;D

So it might be the fuel filter then...... ;)
I like red cars

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2006, 16:09:47 »

Could be  :)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2006, 16:12:26 »

[size=8]Yes[/size]  >:(
« Last Edit: 06 September 2006, 16:12:49 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2006, 17:15:31 »

[size=8]Yes[/size]  >:(

No, I think he said he already tried the new Fuel Filter.

My 2 pence worth if I may:

On my old V8, there was a Amp/Booster unit attached to the middle of the Dis unit. This boosted the current from the Coil to the Spark Plugs.
When this died, like it dide as I was driving through a 4ft deep lake, the engine did what you describe.
The only way I could move the car was to floor the pedal, even then I could walk faster, and to stop it dying on me, I had to keep my foot flat to the floor.

Thats LR for you though... I don't know if there is a sililar think on "meegas" though.

Cheers.

Matt
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2006, 21:53:55 »

Hi guys thanks to all of you! wow good response. thanks to:-

Andy B
Martin Imber
TheBoy
tunnie
nixoro
markjay
Big Rod
mr des

I am afriad I don't know much about engines, a bit crap in that dept.  I don't know where the idle control valve is either to clean it... but when the vauxhall garage fitted it would they not clean it themselves? Vauxhall main dealers ! I hate them arrrggghhh.  the guys there make me sick! I wrote a letter of complaint to them because they changed the c02 sensor and I paid £200 and no difference!  

Tunnie....could we arrange for you to have a look at it? name your price, i can come to you or you can come to me and ill pay for petrol....there is also a main dealer close-by if I need to buy any parts....

most of the garages around here don't touch Omegas they say "go to the main dealer its all computerised we don't touch it" and the main dealers charge a fortune, no wonder these cars loose value quickly if you can't DIY.....

Is there any one in London that can garuntee a fix name your price...
thanks
D

The hoses and in good nick i changed a split one

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2006, 21:56:04 »

hahahah and least I can laugh at the last posts ... no its not the fuel filter thats done and fitted no change... what about air filter not changed that...shall i try?

Martin_1962

« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2006, 23:30:58 »

It is worth trying.

Look in the FAQs and advice for the ICV, needs pictures though - if yours is new should be OK

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 September 2006, 00:24:49 »

Hi guys thanks to all of you! wow good response. thanks to:-

Andy B
Martin Imber
TheBoy
tunnie
nixoro
markjay
Big Rod
mr des

I am afriad I don't know much about engines, a bit crap in that dept.  I don't know where the idle control valve is either to clean it... but when the vauxhall garage fitted it would they not clean it themselves? Vauxhall main dealers ! I hate them arrrggghhh.  the guys there make me sick! I wrote a letter of complaint to them because they changed the c02 sensor and I paid £200 and no difference!  

Tunnie....could we arrange for you to have a look at it? name your price, i can come to you or you can come to me and ill pay for petrol....there is also a main dealer close-by if I need to buy any parts....

most of the garages around here don't touch Omegas they say "go to the main dealer its all computerised we don't touch it" and the main dealers charge a fortune, no wonder these cars loose value quickly if you can't DIY.....

Is there any one in London that can garuntee a fix name your price...
thanks
D

The hoses and in good nick i changed a split one

If you can hang on a few weeks when i am back at Uni i am sure i can pop by sometime.

Becuase your engine is a 2.0, it does not need to be taken to a dealer to read the fault codes. You can used the 'paperclip' test, details are in the FAQ section. I can show you that when i am back at uni as well.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2006, 10:33:52 »

Here is a piccy which may come handy to identify each part mentioned.

Arrow pointing upwards near the centre is the Idle Control Valve

Arrow angled just above is pointing to the Throttlebody

Arrow pointing to the right at the rear of the rocker cover is the rear breather pipe which sometimes has an oil seperator fitted.

You have two breather pipes running from the rocker cover front left hand side the thinner one runs to the Throttle body and the thicker pipe connects onto the intake pipe.

Where abouts in London are you?

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 September 2006, 22:14:13 »

Hi guys, I can't believe all the effort everyones put in! you don't event kow me...and all this help thanks man....

nixoro - thanks for the picture...I can see what the pipes and stuff are (not really confident to start opening things up as I might break something etc)  On the fat chunky pipe I have all oil dripping down it...it looks messy...is something clogged? hmmm I am in Greenwich - Plumstead to be exact.....not sure if that is far away for you?

Tunnie & Nixoro if either one of yous can come down, please let me know the price, and I will be happy to offer you a beer ontop hahahha

would you believe it...Iam an MSc student and can't even fix or know anything about the car....without joke I must have paid £800 to fix this problem, the garages around here are quite rubbish Iam afriad....

Look forward to any more replies cheers everyone, if I had your addresses I'd put you on my xmas card list!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2006, 07:36:16 »

...Iam an MSc student and can't even fix or know anything about the car....
You'll get there, but as one of my apprentice ship instructors used to say .... " they could find the square root of a a banana but can't peel & eat the f***er!""   ;)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2006, 07:53:57 »

Right. Back to basics.

You say the fuel filter has been changed. ARE YOU SURE? Did they say fuel filter and then change the air filter/oil filter instead? Did they say they changed it, but just cleaned it? They are pigs to get off.

Next, has it run very low on fuel or out of fuel at any point?

Finally. This is an idle problem. So, fuel filter, idle control valve, throttle butterflies sticking, MAF sensor dirty, air filter dirty or throttle position sensor. All checkable yourself.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 September 2006, 08:15:10 »

nixoro - thanks for the picture...I can see what the pipes and stuff are (not really confident to start opening things up as I might break something etc)  On the fat chunky pipe I have all oil dripping down it...it looks messy...is something clogged? hmmm I am in Greenwich - Plumstead to be exact.....not sure if that is far away for you?

When you say the fat chunky pipe do you mean the rear breather or the one that goes to the intake pipe at the front?

If its the rear breather these are prone to getting clogged if you can remove the connecting pipe whether there is an oil seperator or not its not a biggy when looking in the pipe it may have a thick coating which ideally needs to be removed. The pipe is usually held in place at the bottom with two star bolts.

If its the thick front breather pipe again all part and parcel of the breather system being dirty. (what I suggest is remove the two breathers at the front and the rear one and take a tin of carb cleaner to them.

Just to check do you have any oil in the plug wells under the black strip and is there any signs of the rocker cover leaking as when there is a blockage as the pressure builds up it finds the quickest route either via the gasket or a weak breather pipe join as I have found out just recently myself. (dodgy spring clips)

HTH just trying to get some idea of whats actually happening. All the above has happened to mine at one time or another so I maybe able to help talk you through it, as RonaldMcBurger says all these jobs are DIY.

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2006, 23:08:11 »

hi RonaldMcBurger (nice tag)

yes I am sure I had it changed (even check the reciept a moment ago)  as for the other areas I could check them but don't know where they are on the car (except for the parts a user posted an image I can find those).... Is there a kind of Haynes manual on the web that shows you the car parts?

near had an accedient this morning! some guy flashed me to go I put the accelerator down and the car did not do nothing! Sh*t! the guy that gave way nearly smashed into me.... need to sort this out...I have to press full acceleration for everything, wife takes bus to work instead now!!!! :-[

dgainda

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2006, 23:13:19 »

nixoro..oils dripping and I top up the oil once a month......I will take a pic tomorrow and post it of the engine and explain what I will do and if its in-line with what you say...I will goto Halford and by some carb cleaner.....

I think we are getting somewhere!  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.