Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Front wishbone bush replacement  (Read 10634 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Front wishbone bush replacement
« on: 16 September 2018, 19:20:37 »

I need to replace both my front wishbone bushes.  How hard is it to do please?

I have read somewhere it can be easier, and cheaper overall, to replace the wishbones complete with bushes already fitted.  Is that true?

Thanks ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Front wishbone bush replacement
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2018, 19:24:46 »

Which bushes have failed?

If just the front bushes, consider poly, then you never need to do them again.

If rears, and GM wishbones, I'd press genuine bushes in - far better than the major of pattern wishbones out there from a longevity point of view. Remember the most expensive part if the geometry setup afterwards.
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2018, 19:41:12 »

Poly fronts are about £70 a pair now and will last the cars life.I was sceptical when mine were fitted as thought it would be to severe but they work well and take the car where you point it .

Backs are around £20 but will either require some engineering with studding to remove and refit or a big press and a few quid in the garages coffee pot.

After fitting alignment is essential and should cost around £ 60/£70...place near MacDonalds off A2070 do it think they are called Tyre Pro or similar.

Doing it yourself then ?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2018, 19:43:18 »

Which bushes have failed?

If
just the front bushes, consider poly, then you never need to do them again.

If rears, and GM wishbones, I'd press genuine bushes in - far better than the major of pattern wishbones out there from a longevity point of view. Remember the most expensive part if the geometry setup afterwards.

Thanks TB :y

That is an interesting question. The MOT advisory on the MOT Certificate only stated "suspension arm rubber bush deterioration but not resulting in excessive movement....." for both o/s and n/s front.

But I have been working on the document printed by the dealer giving a run down on the individual main testing points, and this states "wishbone front rubber deteriorating" for both n/s and o/s.

I have just noticed the difference and I am confused!!  My Vx dealer gave me a quote on the day based on replacing the wishbone bushes, but I am now left wondering  ::) ::)

Would there be a difference between the two discriptions please? ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2018, 19:50:01 »

Poly fronts are about £70 a pair now and will last the cars life.I was sceptical when mine were fitted as thought it would be to severe but they work well and take the car where you point it .

Backs are around £20 but will either require some engineering with studding to remove and refit or a big press and a few quid in the garages coffee pot.

After fitting alignment is essential and should cost around £ 60/£70...place near MacDonalds off A2070 do it think they are called Tyre Pro or similar.

Doing it yourself then ?

Thanks. :y

Not sure yet but, yes it is Protyre previouly Tyreweb, have quoted £180 but cannot supply poly bushes. The Vx dealer has quoted £231, with TC, with genuine parts.

But, if others confirm that it is straight forward to do the front bushes then I might go down that route. The question is do I want to be crawling around on the floor, when I could just let the professionals take the strain. :D ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2018, 20:38:45 »

From my experience its probably simpler to get a new set of wishbones.Have the front bushes removed and poly,s fitted at around the £70 mark.Get the backs fitted with genuine GM or Lemforders from somewhere like AllGerman and then have completely new units fitted.Add the cost of the alignment in and you are looking at the rough side of £300 plus either the cost to have them fitted or a couple of hours crawling under the car .

The driving experience is transformed ,but if your mileage is low then maybe the cost doesn't justify replacing the entirety ...mine did so was prepared to pay and haven't regretted it albeith the shocks/springs droplinks and idler was done at the same time so an almost total front end rebuild.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2018, 21:02:52 »

Jack it up and get a pry in. You'll soon see which bushes have failed.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2018, 21:35:42 »

Looking will soon tell you ::)

Changing the Fronts in situ will kill the rears as they will undoubtedly be the same age.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2018, 23:37:32 »

Best method - source a pair of used GM wishbones, fit new Gm rear bushes (this requires a press to remove old / fit new), then remove the old front bushes using a drill and a hacksaw*, fit polybushes to replace front bushes. Then fit the wishbones to the car and have four wheel alignment done, to WIM spec.
Anything less than this is a compromise imo, unless you pay around £600 for a pair of new GM, if you can find them.

* Details of this method can be found somewhere on OOF. not sure exactly where though.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2018, 00:13:29 »

Best method - source a pair of used GM wishbones, fit new Gm rear bushes (this requires a press to remove old / fit new), then remove the old front bushes using a drill and a hacksaw*, fit polybushes to replace front bushes. Then fit the wishbones to the car and have four wheel alignment done, to WIM spec.
Anything less than this is a compromise imo, unless you pay around £600 for a pair of new GM, if you can find them.

* Details of this method can be found somewhere on OOF. not sure exactly where though.

Since you'll need a press to get the rear bush out and the new one back in again, you may as well use the same press to get the old front bush out too. Or at least try to.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2018, 06:59:41 »

Since you'll need a press to get the rear bush out and the new one back in again, you may as well use the same press to get the old front bush out too. Or at least try to.

pressing the rear bushes isn't a problem. But the size and shape of the wishbone requires a press with a very large frame - they don't fit in my 10 ton floor standing press. And like any press job you'll need suitable tools to drive the bush with and into.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2018, 09:31:52 »

I have and they all look as though they are deteriorating, just as the tester stated ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2018, 09:35:17 »

Thanks for all your comments :-* :-* :y

I am off to get Vx to explain the different statements and may well just book her in for the work.  I am no longer so keen to crawl around under the car, but I am going to do my scheduled major service which normally I get Vx to do, but as they will do the job I don't really want to do.......................overall I will "save" money on the service which will help pay for the bushes ;D ;D ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2018, 12:19:44 »

pressing the rear bushes isn't a problem. But the size and shape of the wishbone requires a press with a very large frame - they don't fit in my 10 ton floor standing press. And like any press job you'll need suitable tools to drive the bush with and into.

I've got one of these :

The suspension arm is thin enough to go through the slot in the pressing girder bit, although yes you need suitably sized mandrels to press with/against. I have got one wishbone on the shelf where the front bush refuses to budge even with 20T on it though. I haven't admitted defeat yet though :-)

I think I agree with the other suggestions though. Buy a pair of cheep 'bones of eBay and fit them.  Once the old bones are off, assuming they are genuine GM get them stripped down, re-painted/powder coated and re-bushed using poly fronts and genuine GM rears. Then if/when the cheapo ones fail (might last a year or ten depending how you drive) swap your refurbed pairs back in again.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2018, 12:37:35 »

When refurbishing, don't forget the ball joints...

Whilst it is feasible to renew them on the car, it is significantly more straightforward to drill the rivets out on a bench. :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.