Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rattling Cat  (Read 8706 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Rattling Cat
« Reply #60 on: 30 June 2019, 18:41:09 »

.....that famous scene in the great film Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood comes to mind:

"Well, punk, are you feeling lucky?  Well are you?  I know what you are thinking, has my Magnum, the worlds's most powerful hand gun fired six shots, or just 5?"  :D :D ;)

The Department of Transport are Hiring Clint Eastwood to shot people with non type approved cats  :o
that's even more wasting My £305 a year road tax  :(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30 June 2019, 18:53:17 »

.....that famous scene in the great film Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood comes to mind:

"Well, punk, are you feeling lucky?  Well are you?  I know what you are thinking, has my Magnum, the worlds's most powerful hand gun fired six shots, or just 5?"  :D :D ;)

The Department of Transport are Hiring Clint Eastwood to shot people with non type approved cats  :o
that's even more wasting My £305 a year road tax  :(

Well I can believe that as anything could happen in this mad world of today! ::) ::) :D ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30 June 2019, 20:58:03 »

Its not the issues at MOT time that concerns me as to be totally honest I expect the average MOT guy isnt even looking at the cats just if the exhaust is blowing as does the car have any terminal rot underneath or are any bushes or track arms showing movement.

The real issue I have is the cost options:

Buy a correct to fit twin lamba drilled cat specific for model...around £200 ish with onlythe effort in removing the old 1 and fitting the replacement...hopefully a sensible mornings work and all fixed.

Or buy 2 new cats at around £150 ..add the cost of the welding in the 2 bosses which I cannot do then have twice the work fitting 2 new cats with the modification of the down pipes which could go horribly wrong.

Mind made up...new cat to fit specific model along with bits to fit...will order in the morning but many many thanks for sharing various views  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 01 July 2019, 09:54:47 »

Its not the issues at MOT time that concerns me as to be totally honest I expect the average MOT guy isnt even looking at the cats just if the exhaust is blowing as does the car have any terminal rot underneath or are any bushes or track arms showing movement.

The real issue I have is the cost options:

Buy a correct to fit twin lamba drilled cat specific for model...around £200 ish with onlythe effort in removing the old 1 and fitting the replacement...hopefully a sensible mornings work and all fixed.

Or buy 2 new cats at around £150 ..add the cost of the welding in the 2 bosses which I cannot do then have twice the work fitting 2 new cats with the modification of the down pipes which could go horribly wrong.

Mind made up...new cat to fit specific model along with bits to fit...will order in the morning but many many thanks for sharing various views  :y

Good decision amba! 8) 8) :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 01 July 2019, 10:22:23 »

Hope so ,but it saves me half the work albeit a bit more expensive in the long run.

Great advise and guidance from all much appreciated

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 01 July 2019, 15:02:27 »

If you've previously moved the downstream lambda sensor on both banks, then you might want to similarly modify the new cat before you fit it. Otherwise it will be obvious, on a ramp, that the two sides don't match.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 01 July 2019, 16:47:45 »

Yes good point ...so either way I need a man with a welder !!...although I really doudt my regular MOT place would notice tbh :D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 01 July 2019, 17:31:07 »

Yes good point ...so either way I need a man with a welder !!...although I really doudt my regular MOT place would notice tbh :D

Yup.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 01 July 2019, 17:56:18 »

fitting a boss into new pipe off the car will take a couple of minutes.

I'll happily do it, but will need some notice as neither of my welders are here. And I'm out all weekend.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 01 July 2019, 18:04:16 »

Thanks for kind offer Nick.

Will call around at somepoint if that's ok and we can sort things out .When r.u around ?..pm me would be fine  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.