Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: live permanent  (Read 811 times)

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
live permanent
« on: 11 February 2013, 05:27:13 »

Am I right in thinking the boot light supply is permanently live? Or is it on the 30min timer? I could lock myself in the boot for 30 minutes I suppose to find out.  I need a permanent live near the rear parcel shelf to wire in a solar panel.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: live permanent
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2013, 05:50:54 »

The large red wire in the socket for the caravan electric will be permanently live after you've fitted the fuse under the steering column.  ;)

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2013, 15:08:04 »

thanks were does that wire run?  I can see the thick black cable coming out of the boot flooplan and sneaking behind the rear bottom boot trim, it then reappears near the o/s light as several thin wires, only two (a black/red and black/yellow) head forwards to a black plastic box bolted to the car above the wheel.  Mine should be a factory fit towbar and electricas but I see some tape and a blue quick connector maybe it has been added later.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2013, 18:42:53 »

The box you describe sounds like the locking mechanism for the fuel filler cover plate. The supply leads and socket for the tow bar supply are located behind rear the plastic trim/cover roughly below the boot latch/lock. If the supply cable Andy B mentioned terminates at this socket, perhaps you could trace it back/run it from there?

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2013, 19:52:00 »

yes you are right that was the fuel cap lock. 

I did remove the rear plastic panel and checked the wiring to the external lightbox socket.  The red already had a connection to it and didn't seem to be permanent live. 

Eventually I found a permanent live under the rear seat alongside the o/s  rear wheel arch, by the method of sticking a pin carefully through the wire insulation and using a muiltimeter.  While cutting it with a pair of scissors I accidentaly touched the chasis and blew the fuse.  The 20A blown fuse says it is for the 'radio infotainment system' .  Why that is permanent live I don't know but it seems to outlast the cigarette lighter time out.  It didn't blow the caravan supply fuse which is the one I was expecting to blow.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2013, 19:57:17 by dbdb »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.