Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Mechanic School Blog  (Read 94720 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic School Blog
« Reply #45 on: 11 September 2012, 09:33:28 »

Looking good Bear, are most there to train as mechanics to work in a garage?

omega3000

« Reply #46 on: 11 September 2012, 09:46:38 »

Whats that red stand thing your holding onto in picture no2  :-\

Portable/moveable car lift  :y

Ahrh i see ...thought it was a press or something  ;D :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11 September 2012, 19:59:03 »

cheers guys, yeah that thing i think he called a part mover.... we put the gearboxes on and moved them around  :y

Tunnster, yes mate most of them are there to be mechanics but there are a couple of interesting potential careers namely two guys who want to be technicians for the RAF  :y

Day 8:

No point in really going through this as it's soul destroying stuff..... Risk Assessments  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

it has made me recognise a few things but on the whole it's pretty darn boring. and i have a big assignment to do about just safety. OMG OMG OMG OMG  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 September 2012, 21:17:01 »

Was going to come out with a quip like "some things are quite heavy". Then i remembered a post by Mr Wood about mixing certain garage chemicals which really are life threatening. Cannot for the life of me remember the detail.

aaronjb

« Reply #49 on: 11 September 2012, 21:26:48 »

Was going to come out with a quip like "some things are quite heavy". Then i remembered a post by Mr Wood about mixing certain garage chemicals which really are life threatening. Cannot for the life of me remember the detail.

Thinking of this, maybe? http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm - short version: brake cleaner containing chlorinated hydrocarbons decomposing to highly toxic phosgene gas during welding causing death and or serious lifetime health issues..

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 September 2012, 21:32:44 »

Thinking of this, maybe? http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm - short version: brake cleaner containing chlorinated hydrocarbons decomposing to highly toxic phosgene gas during welding causing death and or serious lifetime health issues..

Yep. :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 12 September 2012, 09:50:27 »

Dont get me wrong I'm fully aware of how dangerous most stuff for a car is. Hell i was in A and E a couple months back after shooting carb cleaner in my eye. But thing is I'm cautious of everything naturally and always pro actively think what i need to do to protect myself. It's just very very tedious having to write it down a thousand times lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 12 September 2012, 10:00:28 »

Dont get me wrong I'm fully aware of how dangerous most stuff for a car is. Hell i was in A and E a couple months back after shooting carb cleaner in my eye. But thing is I'm cautious of everything naturally and always pro actively think what i need to do to protect myself. It's just very very tedious having to write it down a thousand times lol
But that's the way the real world works now Bear ;) You should see some of the risk assessments I have to do (and have had to train my guys to do) when working on forecourts/roadside ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 12 September 2012, 10:14:16 »

ha ha yeah it's pretty sad aint it. I remember my dad telling me about his first day at work. They spent an hour risk assessing a hammer and listing it's uses. Wtf lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 12 September 2012, 12:25:48 »

Risk assment  and eefing safety are the biggest money earners going. Get rid of no win no fee ambulance chasers and eefing safety wil disapear. When I was a boy we had a thing called common sense,but I'm not allowed to think for myself anymore I need a laminated plastic card telling me how/what do my job.
 its all to stop them being taken to court and having to pay compo.
. But that's my opinion.
Hoof'land storeman.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 12 September 2012, 13:37:05 »

Risk assment  and eefing safety are the biggest money earners going. Get rid of no win no fee ambulance chasers and eefing safety wil disapear. When I was a boy we had a thing called common sense,but I'm not allowed to think for myself anymore I need a laminated plastic card telling me how/what do my job.
. But that's my opinion.
+1  :y

years ago if you had an accident at work say cut your finger off it would have been up the hospital sorted out back to work next day laughing and joking what a tit you'd been.

now it if you get so much as a paper cut its stop what your doing shut the factory down till hs have done a full investigation, compensation claim put in for loss of earnings, traumatic stress, counciling blah blah blah >:(

although a paper cut hurts more than losing actual finger or arm ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #56 on: 12 September 2012, 14:34:31 »

One of the courses i did had over 100 pages of health and safety reading to swot up on and answer to  >:( totally mind boggling and confusing ... nanny state says we need it  ::)

. But that's my opinion.

Totally agree  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15 September 2012, 21:40:05 »

Right then chaps, really looking for your help if possible  :) :) :)

is a parts washer to clean tools with?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #58 on: 15 September 2012, 21:47:02 »

Clue is in the title webby, a parts washer is generally used for..................................washing parts. :D
Parts you take of an engine etc. which are coated in oil and grease. You drop them in there,switch it on and it cleans all the shite off. :y

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cw2d-bench-mounted-parts-washer?da=1&TC=SRC-parts washer

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15 September 2012, 23:27:47 »

I suppose you could wash off a greasy tool in a parts washer ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.