Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?  (Read 25615 times)

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?
« on: 07 September 2012, 20:15:48 »

Ok, so I've read loads of threads about how much cheaper LPG is for Omegas. Some are quite old threads though.

I'm taking my 3.0 elite to a guy tomorrow to have it converted during the next week.

I'm starting to get last minute nerves though, I don't do a massive mileage (12k a year) but I do intend to keep the car 5 years at least, all being well. I'm fortunate to have my main client fairly close to home, but that may change.

The wife is giving me a hard time saying maybe I should have bought a newer diesel for the same amount I am spending on the Omega, and I concede she is probably correct, but I love driving a big, powerful, comfy motor. The Omega is this.

I'm paying a fair bit for the conversion, but I've done a lot of research and he seems to know his stuff. I can't be bothered to do it myself, I have 3 cars too look after and I'm sick of working on them at times!

One of my main concerns is LPG price rising, cancelling savings, it does seem to be more expensive now to petrol comparatively speaking. Is this gap going to keep closing I wonder?

It's a bit late for me to back out now really as I have the Omega and the guy is expecting me tomorrow, so I'm kind of hoping most people will agree the conversion is still a good idea. We'll see.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tim

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2012, 20:26:20 »

whats a fair bit?

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2012, 20:42:04 »

Imho, your main and immediate saving would be to do the install yourself using the excellent guides on here and also you have our lpg gurus to talk you through any bits you're unsure of. You would then know the job has been done correctly and to your standards, which gives great peace of mind and also a feeling of great satisfaction when finally running on gas! It really is not difficult, it just needs a methodical and sensible approach to the job at hand. :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

BlueBridge

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • 3.0 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2012, 21:02:26 »

Glad you posted this, as I am thinking exactly the same, and SWMBO is moaning about the outlay, whilst I'm trying to convince her it will pay for itself in less than a year  :-[
Jon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2012, 21:11:04 »

The saving, IME, is around 8-9p per mile. So over 12,000 miles, around £900-£1k.

Both my installs were less than £600 each (so around 8000 miles to pay back), so on both of my cars are in profit from that viewpoint.

If I bought another petrol Omega, it would get LPG'd (but likely DIY'd)
Grumpy old man

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2012, 21:47:46 »

Well initially £1600, but I'm hoping to get £300 back as I'm putting some work his way if it comes off.

I know it's more expensive than doing it myself, but at the moment my time is very limited due to work and family commitments. I just don't have the spare time to do it myself. I probably could with a bit of help from you kind forum chaps, I'm fairly skilled with cars.

I've already spent a couple of weekends more than I wanted fixing a few other bits that were wrong with the car when I got it, I can't really justify spending any more time on it. Got a lot going on at the moment as I'm going Ltd for my business and I'm busy chosing accountants and opening accounts etc, and I think my brain will explode if I try to put a shopping list together for LPG components!

(plus I think SWMBO may throw me out!)

On top of that, the Trans Am will be coming off the road at the end of sept or oct and I have a shed load of winter repairs to do on that, which ties up my garage.

Bluebridge: I'd say if it will pay in a year, you are in a stronger postion than I. What are your reasons for not just buying a diesel, as you obviously do a fair mileage?

Tim

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2012, 22:20:40 »

At that cost, you be looking at 20,000 miles before its paid back.

Also 9 times out of 10, the "professional" installs have been appauling!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2012, 23:50:00 »

Over the last two days, I've done 450 miles in my Omega 3.2 V6 auto.

30mpg exactly. This was on petrol. Most definitely NOT miss daisy driving, and a boot full of jack, stands, tools, etc. Gloucester, Hemel Hempstead, Castleford, and back to Gloucester. So mix of A roads and motorways. Final run home was scenic route, Fosse Way, and I had a little fun in the twisties coming back through Stow.

Basically used £100 worth of petrol.

Which, To be honest, is not bad for a big thirsty auto.

On gas, , my MPG would have dropped from 30, to around 21-23.

On gas, taking into account the MPG drop and local prices, my trip would have been £64.

So on one trip, I would have saved £36 by using gas.

Maybe an incentive to fix my LPG lead and get it calibrated now it's an auto again! Still, I thought it wouldn't do it any harm to have a good run on petrol :y

It might not seem like a lot, but that's not to be sniffed at, really - it's a good wedge towards a curry! :y

Personally, I can only justify LPG because I can fit and maintain it myself. If I had to pay someone, I wouldn't consider it viable..
« Last Edit: 07 September 2012, 23:52:32 by JamesV6CDX »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2012, 23:54:54 »

You need to try harder James... I couldn't have gotten 450 miles from £100 of petrol ::) more like £130 :-X ::)

Would cost me about £80 in LPG mind ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2012, 23:56:29 »

(plus I think SWMBO may throw me out!)

That might be considered a plus point!  ::) ::)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2012, 23:56:51 »

You need to try harder James... I couldn't have gotten 450 miles from £100 of petrol ::) more like £130 :-X ::)

;D :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2012, 00:04:56 »

A good example of how you cannot compare the fuel economies of 2 completely different drivers though ;) Especially as the figures I quote are based on what I would call "taking it fairly steady" ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2012, 00:09:57 »

A good example of how you cannot compare the fuel economies of 2 completely different drivers though ;) Especially as the figures I quote are based on what I would call "taking it fairly steady" ::)

Over the 450 miles...

motorways, varied between reasonably high indicated speeds when driving in the dead of night, combined with cruises keeping up with the faster flow of traffic, when traffic a little heavier. A roads, 70mph (as most were twin carriageways), and a few kickdown overtakes on the normal roads.

Not caning it by any stretch... but making as much progress as safely possible :y

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2012, 00:18:56 »

That's correct. I'm estimating 2 years. If I keep the car 5 years, that should give me 3 years of money saving motoring.

I've heard of some really poor installs from the 'professionals' I've spoken at length to this chap, he makes no apologies for not being cheap, and says that he does good work. Of course he could be full of tosh, but he's been very helpful, no pressure and sounds like he knows what he's on about. My bro who is a truly competent mechanic and is nobody's fool has also spoken to him and thought he sounds ok.

No guarantee of course, but the outfits that were cheaper have been pestering me and promising to do the conversion in a day. My chap has quoted three, but is happier if I leave it with him for the full week so he can be happy with it.

I'll certainly be checking the workmanship before I part with my cash.

I will probably maintain the system. That, I will be able to find the time to do! I do all my other servicing myself.

James, 30 isn't bad at all and the fact that you could have saved 36 quid on gas is a big incentive. All those 36es add up!

Thanks for all your comments.

Tim

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2012, 00:21:29 »

Ask him if he intends to remove the inlet manifold before drilling & tapping it.If he doesnt - run. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.