Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?  (Read 25617 times)

aaronjb

Re: LPG Conversion Still Worthwhile?
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2012, 13:04:22 »

You need to try harder James... I couldn't have gotten 450 miles from £100 of petrol ::) more like £130 :-X ::)

Would cost me about £80 in LPG mind ::)

;D :y
A good example of how you cannot compare the fuel economies of 2 completely different drivers though ;) Especially as the figures I quote are based on what I would call "taking it fairly steady" ::)

I'm lucky if I see 270 out of a tank now, even if 3/4 of the tank is done at 80mph cruise :(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2012, 13:07:03 »

You need to try harder James... I couldn't have gotten 450 miles from £100 of petrol ::) more like £130 :-X ::)

A good example of how you cannot compare the fuel economies of 2 completely different drivers though ;) Especially as the figures I quote are based on what I would call "taking it fairly steady" ::)

I'm lucky if I see 270 out of a tank now, even if 3/4 of the tank is done at 80mph cruise :(
The most I managed on petrol was 300 miles or so, although I did only run about 4 tankfulls through before LPG was fitted... I remember the surprise when the light came on at around 290 miles the first time though :D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2012, 13:11:30 »

The most I managed on petrol was 300 miles or so, although I did only run about 4 tankfulls through before LPG was fitted... I remember the surprise when the light came on at around 290 miles the first time though :D

You are all just fat gits, I've yet to get less than 300  ;D

So far 320 - 340 ish....

Not done many long runs in it really, off to Norfolk next week, but with 2 bikes on the roof & boot full of camping gear going to be bit crappy in mpg  :(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2012, 13:25:29 »

You are all just fat gits, I've yet to get less than 300  ;D

So far 320 - 340 ish....

Not done many long runs in it really, off to Norfolk next week, but with 2 bikes on the roof & boot full of camping gear going to be bit crappy in mpg  :(
Where are you going to?

As for being fat... I think it's more that we push the loud pedal a bit harder ;) It revs to more than 2000 RPM you know ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2012, 13:31:32 »

Main routes are Brackley to West London, which is mostly dual carriage way & motorway. Also do few runs of West London, down to Kingston upon Thames. Cruise usually spot on 80mph with cruise set, when on the motorway for the 75 mile run back.

If I'm honest it rarely revs above 4k, much like my 2.2  ::)

Other than that, avoid braking as much as possible, by looking ahead. Quite a few short cuts around here, to avoid lights and be stopped for a few mins.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2012, 13:44:34 »

I would think it more economical to sell yours and buy an already converted Omega for likely the same price!

Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2012, 13:54:37 »

I would think it more economical to sell yours and buy an already converted Omega for likely the same price!
But you are buying an unknown entity ;) Assuming the op has got his up together and done all the main problems that occur then he might have to do all that again on a new one ;)

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2012, 23:47:00 »

That's a good point. I've already checked mine out and serviced it, done the breathers and rocker gaskets etc so I know it's sound, plus I was fairly specific about what age and spec I wanted. I've not seen any others come up with LPG anywhere close.

I dropped the car off with the guy this morning. Lovely bloke, very knowledgable. Explained what he would do and discussed what my commute was like as he would take that into consideration when setting the system up. He showed me a BMW he had in for some work that he had converted about 6 years ago. Still going strong. I had a good look at the quality of workmanship and it was spot on. Everything neat and tidy. If I hadn't know what to look for, it would have looked like it was there when the car was made.

So I'm in his hands now, we will see what I get back next weekend! Thanks for all your advice chaps. No one jumped up and said 'stop, you're a fool!' which reassures me somewhat.

Tim

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 September 2012, 01:07:54 »

You need to get a 2.7 CRD Jeep, much better on fuel............ :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 09 September 2012, 03:28:33 »

Tunnie you're missing out on the best third of the engine ::)

The noise as it pulls through 5k on the way to the red line is worth every bucket of fuel 8)

Might explain why there are so many broken autoboxes though ;D

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2012, 20:40:39 »

Keep us updated Strangechap and hope it all goes well :y

Jabe

• London
    • 1997 2.5 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2012, 10:43:36 »

Here's some maths for you:

The current "combined" fuel cycle for the PFL 3.0 auto Omega is: 23.7 MPG.

£100 x £1.41 = 70.92198582 litres divided by 15.60096476 gallons, times by 23.7 MPG =   370 miles per £100.

Now, using the same maths above and knocking off 4mpg for running on LPG (guesstimate) will be 19.7 MPG.

£100 x £0.78 = 128.2051282 litres divided by 28.201744 gallons times by 19.7 MPG = 555 miles per £100.

So according to these calculations, you will gain an extra 185 miles for every £100 of LPG you buy compared to petrol.

Which means you would have literally cut your fuel costs in half. (Half of 370 = 185.)

Hope this helps... :)
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 10:46:45 by Jabe »

albitz

« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2012, 11:07:06 »

Dunno if Im missing something,but to cut fuel costs in half you would need to achieve 740 miles per £100 (2x 370). ???

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2012, 11:14:23 »

Yep, no way will LPG halve fuel costs. It can reduce it by up to 50%, IME, which is actually what your numbers are saying (370x1.5 = 555). ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 September 2012, 11:50:55 »

Yep, no way will LPG halve fuel costs. It can reduce it by up to 50%, IME, which is actually what your numbers are saying (370x1.5 = 555). ;)

What Kevin said.  Your figures show that you are making a saving of 33.3%, not 50%.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.