Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv8 project  (Read 34778 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Mv8 project
« Reply #60 on: 20 August 2013, 23:25:01 »

Could have had a Holden for 7k too.

This should workout cheaper AND be the car I want. Short of a 10k vxr8 with 20k miles on the clock, which ain't going to happen.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 20 August 2013, 23:31:48 »

It would be straightforward otherwise. If the omega was as wide as the Holdens I doubt there would a problem fitting the Auto box. :-\

Looks like you need to buy a V8 Holden & some Griffin badges  ::) ::) ::)
No toys sadly, and I can't Live with that interior, although the seats are mega comfy.

;D ;D I've never looked properly at what's on offer to our antipodean cousins  ;) ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20 August 2013, 23:32:43 »

This should workout cheaper AND be the car I want. Short of a 10k vxr8 with 20k miles on the clock, which ain't going to happen.

Why didn't you buy it then  :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #63 on: 20 August 2013, 23:35:08 »

I am also concerned about the drive train.

Dif... How much power can an omega dif take..?

And the prop shaft may well have to be upgraded. Monaro there maybe. :-\

No - I reckon that lot will be pretty bomb proof. As to whether the diff ratio will be OK.. need to do the sums. Prop might need a different end on it to suit the gearbox, and may need to be cut and shut due to length, of course.. even if it's a Monaro one.
They did fit a different BTR Automotive dif on the prototypes, or whatever they where. Pre production mules ? 

Although, it would have had a higher gearing and been LSD maybe. So that alone would warrant a "new" dif.  Perhaps. :-\
« Last Edit: 20 August 2013, 23:39:30 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #64 on: 20 August 2013, 23:37:31 »

Ahem... No toys. Don't line the interior. Too expensive as this project should work out cheaper. Much cheaper. ...in £££s at least. Plus I will learn a thing or two. :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 20 August 2013, 23:41:54 »

Ahem... No toys. Don't line the interior. Too expensive as this project should work out cheaper. Much cheaper. ...in £££s at least. Plus I will learn a thing or two. :)

What tyres would go on it ..........................  ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #66 on: 20 August 2013, 23:45:21 »

Feel free to start a separate thread Andy.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 20 August 2013, 23:47:11 »

Feel free to start a separate thread Andy.

OK Chris ........  ;)

Monaro wanna be tyre thread ........  :y :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #68 on: 21 August 2013, 12:06:52 »

Cooling, by all accounts the omega coolers seem to be adequate. But we'll see.

The Omega radiator ought to be fine. It's hard to imagine how you could fit a larger one. ;D

Are you keeping air con, though?

Might be advisable to go for separate oil and transmission coolers. A couple of little MOCAL coolers (or even late Omega transmission coolers) would probably do the job. What were the original transmission and oil cooler arrangements in the "donor"?

The air intake duct can be modified/repositioned without much bother, freeing up another 2-3" for the Omega cooling to be fitted easily, so all three fans, radiator, condenser and oil cooler.

Prop might need a different end on it to suit the gearbox, and may need to be cut and shut due to length, of course.. even if it's a Monaro one.

One thing not tried due to the lack of a suitable spanner (i didn't think to bring it with me :-[), was to see if the flange from an AR35 will fit the splines on the outputshaft of the 4L60e. Then hopefully just a case of finding the correct length front half of the propshaft. Think there are at least 6 to choose from...4 pot/V6/Straight 6 and manual /auto for each. Worst case, the shaft will need to be shorter... :y

aaronjb

« Reply #69 on: 21 August 2013, 12:52:47 »

If you need to shorten the driveshaft (or swap ends etc) then that's a fairly inexpensive task - there are lots of companies out there catering to the kit car industry who will do it.. I can easy dig up a recommendation if you end up needing one :)

Brakes - I'll bet those Audi discs are chuffing expensive; they're very nearly the same design (albeit larger) as the M3 and those weren't exactly cheap! Common aftermarket choice of calipers on many cars would be Porsche, though, which might be worth investigating.

Gearbox mount - having looked at mine the other day (albeit very briefly and from a distance) I don't think it's in any way structural .. but I'd second the suggestion to offer it up, remove the least you can and then fab in the new gearbox bracket.

Lastly.. I know the engine is sat on the subframe right now so is a little low in the engine bay, but I can't get over how enormous the engine bay looks with all the gubbins bar engine removed!

chrisgixer

« Reply #70 on: 21 August 2013, 13:09:47 »

Brakes, yes I looked at Porsche briefly, they just don't make the diameter discs needed, due to the smaller car/weight compared to the omega.

Oe Porsche boxster, for example, are the same size as omega oe.

So, I'm guessing the calipers won't take the radius of the 30mm bigger ml disc?

But at £50 for Merc ML discs, and a bracket for, say, rs4 calipers to fit, I'd be happy with that as a starting point given costs.

What concerns me here is the rear discs. Trying to find a proportionately bigger disc that fits with drum hand brake is proving tricky. :(

chrisgixer

« Reply #71 on: 21 August 2013, 13:15:50 »

Re engine bay, brake servo, steering box, battery, abs pump all encroach into the engine bay.

Plus the missing scuttle and radiator cover.

Ah, talking of brake servo, I want a servo with more assistance, preferably. Omega is noticeably less assisted with other cars and my preference is to try to improve it. I feel it gives more control. For me.

I wonder what the Holden servo is like? :-\
« Last Edit: 21 August 2013, 13:27:19 by chrisgixer »

05omegav6

« Reply #72 on: 21 August 2013, 13:37:05 »

IIRC, standard Monaro discs are the same size as the Omega ones, but with a larger caliper and significantly larger pads :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21 August 2013, 13:47:28 »

What concerns me here is the rear discs. Trying to find a proportionately bigger disc that fits with drum hand brake is proving tricky. :(

What about the Merc ML's rear drum/disc set up?

chrisgixer

« Reply #74 on: 21 August 2013, 13:55:04 »

IIRC, standard Monaro discs are the same size as the Omega ones, but with a larger caliper and significantly larger pads :-\
Monaro/gto discs are differant pcb, I'm faily sure. There was a member here tried to fit vxr8 (same as monaro?) wheels to omega and they didnt fit. Plus Monaro owners are first to moan about thier brakes, hence the Much sort after AP efforts.

A bigger disc WILL need a caliper bracket made to space any caliper to fit, so provided it fits in an 18" wheel the world as our oister there. (Cost permitting ;) )

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.