Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv8 project  (Read 34775 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Mv8 project
« Reply #75 on: 21 August 2013, 13:55:55 »

What concerns me here is the rear discs. Trying to find a proportionately bigger disc that fits with drum hand brake is proving tricky. :(

Does it need to be bigger? Granted, the system will need to have the correct balance, but bigger just means more energy absorbed before it overheats. Given that the majority of braking is at the front, the majority of increase is there too. Maybe you'd be Ok with the standard vented rears?

If you're not staying standard, then going to a caliper that incorporates a handbrake mechanism, or a separate handbrake caliper will be your best options when it comes to flexibility of mixing and matching. Monaro/Holden rear brakes worth a look, though.

Ah, talking of brake servo, I want a servo with more assistance, preferably. Omega is noticeably less assisted with other cars and my preference is to try to improve it. I feel it gives more control. For me.

I wonder what the Holden servo is like? :-\

More assistance? Guess you're a Ford man at heart? I prefer as little as I can get away with, or none, as in the Westfield. I would see where you are once you've settled on a brake caliper/pad/disk combo first, as that might well alter the pedal force (or you can choose the cylinder diameters to reduce it if that's what you want).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #76 on: 21 August 2013, 15:04:23 »

What concerns me here is the rear discs. Trying to find a proportionately bigger disc that fits with drum hand brake is proving tricky. :(

What about the Merc ML's rear drum/disc set up?
Chrisgixer runs off to google :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #77 on: 21 August 2013, 15:14:56 »

Ah, I remember now. Couldn't check, as the Brembo catalogue doesn't list Ml rear discs, so couldn't check the dimensions.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21 August 2013, 15:25:25 »

Ah, I remember now. Couldn't check, as the Brembo catalogue doesn't list Ml rear discs, so couldn't check the dimensions.

What do you need to know? A R Class is based on an ML running gear  ;) ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #79 on: 21 August 2013, 15:26:31 »

IIRC, standard Monaro discs are the same size as the Omega ones, but with a larger caliper and significantly larger pads :-\
Monaro/gto discs are differant pcb, I'm faily sure. There was a member here tried to fit vxr8 (same as monaro?) wheels to omega and they didnt fit. Plus Monaro owners are first to moan about thier brakes, hence the Much sort after AP efforts.

A bigger disc WILL need a caliper bracket made to space any caliper to fit, so provided it fits in an 18" wheel the world as our oister there. (Cost permitting ;) )
You misunderstood me :y Holden pcd is 120mm, same as the newest generation Vauxhalls :y

The Omega and Monaro discs are the same thickness and diameter, so keep the vented Omega discs and fit the Monaro caliper, with its much larger pads :y similar size and set up to the Omega fronts iirc :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 21 August 2013, 16:42:09 »

.. but bigger pads alone doesn't give you the ability to dissipate (significantly) more energy. You need a bigger disk to achieve that.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #81 on: 21 August 2013, 17:10:18 »

.. but bigger pads alone doesn't give you the ability to dissipate (significantly) more energy. You need a bigger disk to achieve that.
That makes sense, just trying to think of ways to improve the rears at minimal cost.
Some interesting detail here...

http://www.hsv.org.uk/topic.asp?t=129075&f=69&h=0

Current prices for the Commodore/Monaro kits are, including VAT:

Fr. CP5555-1027 £2415.24. Six pots with 362x32 discs
Rr. CP5147-1000 £2202.06. Four pots with 330x28 discs

PCD issues have solutions, have someone looking into that :y

But might raise some more second hand possibilities given that discs and pads are service items:y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 21 August 2013, 19:15:57 »

One thing that didn't occur to me when we were talking about this on Saturday, is how are you going to get the car's electronics to work with the new engine? That's something that would worry me more than getting the steering right, which is (probably)the worst part of actually getting the engine in.

05omegav6

« Reply #83 on: 21 August 2013, 19:33:04 »

The loom and ECU are from a '98 Camaro which was fitted with a 4L60e, gearbox is a '98 4L60e.  the engine ECU also controls the gearbox, and has an independent speed input from the gearbox output.

The Omega ABS ECU can remain independent and hopefully also keep the TC working as per standard. The tricky part will be stripping the Omega autobox wiring in order to remove it from the equation as most of it will be surplus. Other non relevant wiring will need to be removed from the engine bay.
The instruments are all fed from the engine ECU, so should be a question of identifying the relevant wires to the instrument cluster and joining them up.

Chris has a detailed ECU guide, detailing all the wires from the engine ECU, which cross references the wire colours and pin numbers. It also includes alot of useful information for such a conversion generally, with detailed wiring diagrams for any circuits that might need to be made from scratch :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 21 August 2013, 19:50:36 »

The Omega ABS ECU can remain independent and hopefully also keep the TC working as per standard.

From that i'm guessing the two way intervention will be lost - ie. it'll still operate the ABS but it wont retard the ignition when deep in the doo doo's!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 21 August 2013, 19:52:32 »

The Omega ABS ECU can remain independent and hopefully also keep the TC working as per standard.
Not sure if it won't complain about not seeing an engine ECU. I guess we'll find out....
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 21 August 2013, 20:02:24 »

Not sure if it won't complain about not seeing an engine ECU. I guess we'll find out....
I reckon big brakes and ditch the ABS...

What happens come MOT time though? How is a car that will have been heavily modified tested against the original parameters? Presumably the car parameters (things like emissions etc) have to change?

05omegav6

« Reply #87 on: 21 August 2013, 20:11:28 »

Engine wiring allows for two pre and two post cat O2 sensors :y

Exhaust could easily consist of headers, then made to measure centre sections with suitable high flow cats at the front end with bosses added in for the sensors :y

MoT kind of irrelevant as long as everything meets the standards, same as any car :y if presented on LPG then emissions test becomes laughable anyway...

chrisgixer

« Reply #88 on: 21 August 2013, 20:25:02 »

I reckon big brakes and ditch the ABS...

What happens come MOT time though? How is a car that will have been heavily modified tested against the original parameters? Presumably the car parameters (things like emissions etc) have to change?

I shall speak to my mot guys tomorrow.

Adrian flux said they would cover the car fully comp. Their only stipulation being, upgrade the brakes!

As Nick suggests, the electrics has been at the back of my mind for some time, so thanks to him for bringing it to the forefront.

As most here know, I always want things to work as they should, so integrating everything is going to be key for me.

2woody was fairly clear though. The current engine is from a cable throttle body car. Pre 2003 of the omega.
So from that respect the engine management is incorrect for the car. However it is the cheapest. ESP given the cable throttle body is currently fitted to the engine.

Iirc, 2woody was suggesting that the cheapest option to get the car running was to go with what we have in the cable engine management, and see if it can be made to work with abs etc.

If not. There is fair demand in the uk for bits for Ls engines so would sell quite easily, then fit a Dbw engine management of the same era as the car.

So.....I presume a Dbw 2003 holden set up could supply the abs ecu with enough info to keep the omega abs happy...?
« Last Edit: 21 August 2013, 20:26:40 by chrisgixer »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 21 August 2013, 20:30:47 »

really liking the look of this CG  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.