Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding Blog  (Read 23053 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Blog
« Reply #105 on: 26 November 2014, 14:01:43 »

Ok, had a good butchers through the interweb. i'm defo convinced that i either ran outta gas for that last weld cos they go brown and start spitting balls of metal...exactly what happened.

as i dont have a gauge on mine ill attempt it with same bottle out of the wind. if same thing happens i know im empty. if they go well i know that it was the wind :)

finally, even though ill be practising on some thicker stuff id like to go back to the 0.8mm i have. lowest settings (1 min) and a play about with the wire speed.... as last time i didnt realise i could go between numbers e.g. 3.5 :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #106 on: 26 November 2014, 14:15:08 »

If you're out of gas then there should be no noise of gas escaping when you pull the trigger.. so that's an easy enough test, right? :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 26 November 2014, 14:22:26 »

If you're out of gas then there should be no noise of gas escaping when you pull the trigger.. so that's an easy enough test, right? :)

Very true mate. in my lack of knowlege i simply thought id got the settings wrong as i was changing them all the time. but now i think i understand :)

if there was no gas left but the canister is still pressurised is it possible it'd just be air i'd hear gushing out? sorry if thats a retarded question
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 26 November 2014, 14:52:03 »

Very true mate. in my lack of knowlege i simply thought id got the settings wrong as i was changing them all the time. but now i think i understand :)

if there was no gas left but the canister is still pressurised is it possible it'd just be air i'd hear gushing out? sorry if thats a retarded question

No there's no air in the bottle,only gas so if you can here it hissing you still have gas :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 26 November 2014, 14:59:01 »

No there's no air in the bottle,only gas so if you can here it hissing you still have gas :y

Sweet. Thanks Henry.

Looking forward to giving it another good go tomorrow. Got 3 of the double capacity bottles turn up today. So hopefully that wil lbe enough.

Got loads of metal too. The pug door (0.8), some 2-3mm my mum picked up for a tenner at the local metal fab shop and some 4-5mm scrap my mate's dad picked me up from the scrap bin at his mate's truck depot. So all that metal.... £10. :) happy bear.

:)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 26 November 2014, 15:39:08 »

Practice on the heavier bits of metal first and play with the amperage/wire feed a bit until it sounds rights,a nice buzz with good penetration,oooh er missus :D ;)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 26 November 2014, 16:03:10 »

Will do mate thanks.

one final question. (sorry)

does the wire feed setting equate to how many metres it will churn out in a minute....

e.g. setting 2 will chuck out 2 metres per minute?

thought i read that on the net you see :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 26 November 2014, 16:08:57 »

Will do mate thanks.

one final question. (sorry)

does the wire feed setting equate to how many metres it will churn out in a minute....

e.g. setting 2 will chuck out 2 metres per minute?

thought i read that on the net you see :)

I don't think so. The wire feed rate isn't constant, for a start. As you draw more current, the welder increases the wire feed rate.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 26 November 2014, 16:20:28 »

Understood. thanks mate  :y

Piccies of another round of disastrous welds to come tomorrow  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 26 November 2014, 16:31:20 »

Ill PM him and see if he'd take pity on me with offers of beer and beef jerkie (god that stuffs good)

Offer him Biltong instead.. makes beef jerky look like the dried up boot leather that it is.. ;D

Biltong!! Mmmmmmmmm......  :-*  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 27 November 2014, 12:32:56 »

Afternoon fellas.

So, got some 2.5mm and todays aim was to lay some beads. I am very pleased with how the welds look (even got some ''C''s in there  ;D)

I did this in the garage and upped my gas to 5. there was definitely no wind and definitely there was gas coming out the end but still got that brown residue on them.  :-\ but all in all very very pleased. I got the settings spot on. I realised I was holding the tip too close. and I realised I was moving too fast! corrected these and the weld pooled up real nice. but all about getting the settings right!  :y

The breaks are where I had to stop to reposition and cos I stupidly brought a non-auto adjusting helmet  ::) I missed the restart point....

penetration. good???

and I had to stop cos I got to go and pick up some stuff from a mate. but I had to have a go at joining together ;)

Beautiful? No. Getting better? Indubitably :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 27 November 2014, 12:42:24 »

Penetration looks ok

You need to work on creating a more consistent weld, I find the key to this is to watch the weld pool and not the tip.

Oh for info, the distance from the work piece impacts the current.....

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 27 November 2014, 14:30:01 »

Thanks Mark,

Thing is I'm learning all the time. I found that best for me is to go up and down with the torch and tilt my head to the left to see the pool. But it was all about trial and error. And I'm not scared to try. and error.  :y

Re the distance... that would make sense because some have no spots and some do. Just got to findthat happy place.

All in all im really pleased though that I'm improving and not stepping backwards. :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #118 on: 27 November 2014, 19:20:42 »

Are you cleaning the splatter build up in and around the nozzle + using anti splatter  :)

Are you dragging the tip in one direction or rounded E's although thats more for thin to thick welds without burn through on the thin .
Count 2 seconds on the trigger for a spot weld .
« Last Edit: 27 November 2014, 19:28:50 by Emd »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 27 November 2014, 22:10:29 »

Yes mate, gave contact tip and nozzle thingy a good clean. I find the build up of spots comes off real easy. I've so far only needed to blow them away.

Rounded e's. . . . No  ;D

I'm currently dragging the pool towards me as that's what's most comfy for me. I've tried a bit of zig zagging also

This is going to be an exercise in practise!  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.