Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: The Omega Replacement conundrum.  (Read 61460 times)

aaronjb

Re: The Omega Replacement conundrum.
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2016, 09:38:26 »

Volvo makes little more sense, more practical, indie garage just down the road. But does not get my 'heart/passion' going as much as CLS as each time I walk up to one I think it's a nice car. The Volvo would just be a tool, perhaps I might grow to like it

I've been having the same internal dilemma recently - as mentioned elsewhere I've been looking for something to make the commute cheaper (and to replace the Ranger .. which I will sorely miss); as I'm paying for the Ranger I've been looking at new cars (and actually at that mileage given older cars are in the 40mpg territory the maths favour new cars).

Sensible head: Nissan Note 1.5DCi, 63mpg on my commute (tested in my Dad's). Uncomfortable, dull, very practical.
Sensible head: Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi, 58mpg on the commute. Bit more comfortable, less dull, very practical.
Heart: Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi 190, low 50s on a commute, so very comfortable, just like the Omega, giant load space. Not so economical.

I think heart will win as I'll be spending 5hrs a day in it.. so I vote for the CLS and to hell with the practicalities! ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2016, 10:10:49 »

Volvo makes little more sense, more practical, indie garage just down the road. But does not get my 'heart/passion' going as much as CLS as each time I walk up to one I think it's a nice car. The Volvo would just be a tool, perhaps I might grow to like it

I've been having the same internal dilemma recently - as mentioned elsewhere I've been looking for something to make the commute cheaper (and to replace the Ranger .. which I will sorely miss); as I'm paying for the Ranger I've been looking at new cars (and actually at that mileage given older cars are in the 40mpg territory the maths favour new cars).

Sensible head: Nissan Note 1.5DCi, 63mpg on my commute (tested in my Dad's). Uncomfortable, dull, very practical.
Sensible head: Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi, 58mpg on the commute. Bit more comfortable, less dull, very practical.
Heart: Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi 190, low 50s on a commute, so very comfortable, just like the Omega, giant load space. Not so economical.

I think heart will win as I'll be spending 5hrs a day in it.. so I vote for the CLS and to hell with the practicalities! ;)

Yes there is that, at the end of the day I will have to pay a garage for front suspension work on no matter what I get (wishbones etc) - I would still do basic service work, like oil changes, brake pads and filters. I'd rather pay the garage costs and get to drive the CLS and "feel" it's worth it, rather than the Volvo. As I don't think there will be a great deal of difference, as labour would be same at indies and not much in it parts wise, in-fact MB appear to be very good cost wise on parts.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2016, 10:12:30 »

When your,e buying a used car of a "certain" vintage it,s the way that previous owners have looked after them. Must admit that my two Migs had long term owners that had things done at the right times by the right people and was able to verify that with them. With a multi owner car, (which most older ones now are), it,s just a lottery. Two identical cars, one looked after, one neglected, will not be the same reliability wise. Best of luck with the search though. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 August 2016, 16:11:57 »

My......what a dull trio.

I'd rather hang myself, thanks. :-\ :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 August 2016, 16:12:50 »

I'm yet to sit in a VAG that's comfy too, I find all of the range have rock-hard seats.  :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 09 August 2016, 16:14:12 »

I thought the Skoda (bear in mind it had the top of the range electric leather) had lovely soft seats, especially compared to anything in the lower end of the market.

Maybe not as soft as the seats in the Omega used to be, but then that had ~80k of arse under its belt..

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 August 2016, 16:18:15 »

As I've said before, an Omega replacement must be...

Badgeless (No real kudos to the name)
Solid build quality
Very available parts
Plenty about/choice of models

Has to be said, I'd agree, Skoda are close to the only choice. Very good cars. Being VWs, they're well engineered. If slightly amiss re: emissons  :y :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 August 2016, 16:33:30 »

Solid build quality
Very available parts

Has to be said, I'd agree, Skoda are close to the only choice. Very good cars. Being VWs, they're well engineered. If slightly amiss re: emissons  :y :D
:-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 August 2016, 16:37:13 »

Solid build quality
Very available parts

Throttle pedal assembly... that's £300 sir
Loom that connects throttle pedal to ecu/throttle.. that's £300 sir
Throttle body...  that's £300 sir...

Is anything not £300???  Well, I could tell you that sir... but... i'd have to charge you £300 for the priveledge.   ::)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 August 2016, 18:17:58 »

Injectors are £500... Each. ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2016, 18:51:53 »

I'm yet to sit in a VAG that's comfy too, I find all of the range have rock-hard seats.  :-\

That's the clue there.......just get a 5L Range Rover and forget the probably 10mpg  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 August 2016, 19:27:12 »

That's the clue there.......just get a 5LRange rover   and forget the probably 10mpg  :y

And gas it :)
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 August 2016, 20:00:36 »

That's the clue there.......just get a 5LRange rover   and forget the probably 10mpg  :y

And gas it :)

My budget just gets crap Rangies, once you factor in an LPG cost. Even then with gas, the 3.2 would appear economical  :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2016, 20:10:46 »

I get that with Mercedes; the arse on the floor, legs straight out with the massive steering wheel in my lap driving position is atrocious

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 August 2016, 21:04:14 »

Fully electric seats are the way forward...

Have just found out that E38 18 way front seats bolt straight into the E39 :D

Just need to find a pair in blue :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.