Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: The Omega Replacement conundrum.  (Read 61442 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: The Omega Replacement conundrum.
« Reply #45 on: 09 August 2016, 21:14:07 »

Fully electric seats are the way forward...

Have just found out that E38 18 way front seats bolt straight into the E39 :D

Just need to find a pair in blue :-X

A bit off topic. But here we go again, constantly see cars referred to as W999 or E666 or something else that sounds like a food additive, and it seems to be completely impossible to translate these numbers into any vehicle that one sees advertised.

And, nobody has really explained how to do this translation. Surely there must be some kind of list somewhere ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 August 2016, 21:29:59 »

A bit off topic. But here we go again, constantly see cars referred to as W999 or E666 or something else that sounds like a food additive, and it seems to be completely impossible to translate these numbers into any vehicle that one sees advertised.

And, nobody has really explained how to do this translation. Surely there must be some kind of list somewhere ?

Here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series_(E39)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 August 2016, 22:06:45 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BMW_vehicles

List for the beemers.  :y  A quick search should find the Mercs easy enough.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 August 2016, 22:17:43 »

You mean like these...  :P

If I see a slimey creature with a ratchet wandering my property I'll know who it is  ;D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 August 2016, 22:22:18 »

Back on topic, very difficult to say what car as a replacement as we all like different things in life. A chap I work with has a VW Passat CC, which looks a nice enough car but many owners have reported gearbox problems. You could review the arse out of a car and still end up with a lemon. The problem with any reviews is that owners with issues are more likely to write up/complain than a happy customer.

See a car that takes your eye, check it out, buy it and enjoy.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 09 August 2016, 22:37:55 »

Cheers  :y

Still S80 or CLS, have to see what's about at the end of the month  :)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 August 2016, 20:51:21 »

Fascinating thread. Maybe I am too easily pleased, or should get out more, but I can't see what is wrong with the Omega. It is large, quiet, comfortable, fast, reliable, cheap to buy and cheap to run.
In my first 40 motoring years I ran an assortment of small saloons, then family estates. When the family grew up I dabbled in luxury saloons, but found that most lacked the headroom I need, then I saw Quentin Wilson on Top Gear point 'what the boys in blue use for pursuit work is the 24 valve Vauxhall Senator'. He then visited a police garage and was told 'we change the brake pads every fortnight and the tyres every month. Nothing else goes wrong'. For the next 20 years I have run big Vauxhall saloons. I run them still.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 August 2016, 20:57:44 »

Fascinating thread. Maybe I am too easily pleased, or should get out more, but I can't see what is wrong with the Omega. It is large, quiet, comfortable, fast, reliable, cheap to buy and cheap to run.
In my first 40 motoring years I ran an assortment of small saloons, then family estates. When the family grew up I dabbled in luxury saloons, but found that most lacked the headroom I need, then I saw Quentin Wilson on Top Gear point 'what the boys in blue use for pursuit work is the 24 valve Vauxhall Senator'. He then visited a police garage and was told 'we change the brake pads every fortnight and the tyres every month. Nothing else goes wrong'. For the next 20 years I have run big Vauxhall saloons. I run them still.

After 11 years, time for a change. Perhaps if they were still being made and Vauxhall still made a cheap RWD saloon (forgetting VXR8) for a moment, I may have considered it.

I do still have the 3.2 Elite, which will continue to be the family bus. But for the commuting, no Omega's out there appeal any more.

Many years ago I almost bought a 3.0 MV6 Pre-Facelift in Blue, which was already LPG'd, thought about it but never did. If I saw another one of those in mint condition I might go for it.

But as the bike is going, want to get something different.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 August 2016, 21:02:43 »

It's old, and even good ones need money spent on them. Vauxhall's replacement isn't up to much(just like Ford with the Scorpio), and for me the big Volvo is the only one that has the same attributes of being comfortable, large, effortless, discreet, affordable and lacks the marketing wank of the German marques.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 August 2016, 21:30:53 »

It's old, and even good ones need money spent on them. Vauxhall's replacement isn't up to much(just like Ford with the Scorpio), and for me the big Volvo is the only one that has the same attributes of being comfortable, large, effortless, discreet, affordable and lacks the marketing wank of the German marques.

I like the S80, one I've seen is in budget, under 100k miles. Sadly it's half the country away from me, I need to sit/drive something more local, as I've yet to sit in one.

S80 has some cool tech (least one one I've seen) such as Radar Cruise, but it will be a further depreciation hit, buying for £5k in a year or two I bet it's worth £2k. The CLS will hold it's value better.

The CLS for me, looks far better, it's got great driving position, loved centre console position, the dash layout.

I really need to drive an S80, otherwise I'm going in circles, as some reviews suggest a choppy ride at times in S80  :-\

Another factor is I will have to pay for suspension work on either, I'd do rear shocks but front's & wishbones I'd pay for. I'd rather take that hit on car I actually really like and love like the CLS, rather than S80. 

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 10 August 2016, 21:56:32 »

The only way to roll in an S80...

https://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2007-s80_heico_concept/

When you wake up you will buy an CLS63 AMG *clicks fingers*
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 10 August 2016, 22:45:44 »

The only way to roll in an S80...

https://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2007-s80_heico_concept/

When you wake up you will buy an CLS63 AMG *clicks fingers*

Love a CLS AMG. But not its fuel bill  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 August 2016, 09:58:41 »

I thought the Skoda (bear in mind it had the top of the range electric leather) had lovely soft seats, especially compared to anything in the lower end of the market.

Maybe not as soft as the seats in the Omega used to be, but then that had ~80k of arse under its belt..

Agreed, with work the airport taxi is either a Skoda Superb or an E class Merc, the Merc seats are dam right awful and uncomfortable, the Skoda is pretty dam good though.

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 11 August 2016, 10:14:01 »

Agreed, with work the airport taxi is either a Skoda Superb or an E class Merc, the Merc seats are dam right awful and uncomfortable, the Skoda is pretty dam good though.

At least they're E classes - the norm out in Tel Aviv is C classes and I struggle to get [my fat ass] in and out of the back of those with the rake of the rear roofline.. :-[

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 August 2016, 10:31:23 »

Hummmm just on Auto Trader, Skoda Superb's are great value, not really considered these.  :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.