Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!  (Read 29660 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!
« on: 11 January 2017, 15:59:21 »

So,

After 4 months and 4350 miles, my M140i has left me on the back of a low loader bound for the supplying dealer. The problem: complete and total failure of all the electrics, all at the same time.  :o.

I was driving along quite happily when suddenly, no power, no lights, now power steering. I even lost Ken Bruce! I was left at the side of the road, unable to proceed, or even turn on my hazard lights. Then, after a few minutes, all was well again. Just as if it had never happened. Thankfully I had my phone and was able to video the scene, otherwise I'd be tempted to think I was going off my rocker.  :D

To say I'm cheesed off is a gross understatement. If I can't get a good explanation from the dealer and a quick repair, they can keep the bloody thing!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2017, 16:28:47 »

Did you try to use the indicators?

Not sure what's more odd - that it happened, or that it "fixed itself".  :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2017, 17:12:08 »

Did you try to use the indicators? [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26795734/Smilies/allrun.gif[/img

That must have been it! Probably triggered he anti-theft module. Knowing that no real BMW owner would ever touch them!  ;D

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2017, 17:21:14 »

I think BMW gets their good quality reputation just because they are German. But they are hardly any better than Opel. The fact they charge more money for their cars helps the value perception. But I know so many people with BMW headaches. The current top German manufacturer for quality is Volkswagen (VW, Audi, Porsche etc). Even Mercedes although much better than a few years ago still riding their past a little when it comes to quality IMO.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2017, 18:16:10 »

You have to remember, one of the primary reasons BMW bought Rover in the 90s was because they wanted their mass production experience.

So, averagely designed cars with shoddy manufacture. 'nuf said.

On the upside, they are RWD.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2017, 18:46:07 »

I think BMW gets their good quality reputation just because they are German. But they are hardly any better than Opel. The fact they charge more money for their cars helps the value perception. But I know so many people with BMW headaches. The current top German manufacturer for quality is Volkswagen (VW, Audi, Porsche etc). Even Mercedes although much better than a few years ago still riding their past a little when it comes to quality IMO.
The E39 is much better built than the Omega ime.
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2017, 19:01:35 »

By better built you must mean more luxurious as in better finished. If so, and if we are speaking of a higher trim like a 540i or M5 then yes. It's better finished. As far a built quality, not really.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2017, 19:55:34 »

Nope, mines an SE with blue cloth... But from various bits that I have had cause to do on it... yes really. For example, every opening at the front of the car is designed to put air either through the radiator or to the brakes... Even the headlight trim is sealed independently of the headlight and bumper.

The 540 gains nothing except leather, more toys and a V8.
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2017, 20:06:59 »

Nope, mines an SE with blue cloth... But from various bits that I have had cause to do on it... yes really. For example, every opening at the front of the car is designed to put air either through the radiator or to the brakes... Even the headlight trim is sealed independently of the headlight and bumper.

The 540 gains nothing except leather, more toys and a V8.

Sure they are well designed. I mean in terms of durability and reliability. Not really better than Opel.  ;)

But design is a very relative thing and so are features. You mention functional air dams. There are many expensive and luxury cars with stick on fake air intakes for example. It's relative. And as you know, Opel has beaten BMW and even Mercedes to the punch several times, by being the first to market with something.

This is not what I'm talking. I'm saying that the idea that BMW is more reliable than an Opel or will last longer is totally misguided. They are not really better. Just more expensive.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2017, 21:21:14 »

So,

After 4 months and 4350 miles, my M140i has left me on the back of a low loader bound for the supplying dealer. The problem: complete and total failure of all the electrics, all at the same time.  :o.

I was driving along quite happily when suddenly, no power, no lights, now power steering. I even lost Ken Bruce! I was left at the side of the road, unable to proceed, or even turn on my hazard lights. Then, after a few minutes, all was well again. Just as if it had never happened. Thankfully I had my phone and was able to video the scene, otherwise I'd be tempted to think I was going off my rocker.  :D

To say I'm cheesed off is a gross understatement. If I can't get a good explanation from the dealer and a quick repair, they can keep the bloody thing!

Sorry to hear this, Jimmy. :-\

Car faults that have  a touch of 'witchcraft' about them are the type that  worry people most........usually because they can happen at the most inappropriate times.

I hope a good solid explanation is found rather than the fault remaining a mystery.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2017, 22:10:41 »

I agree although I think my old W124 Merc was better again
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2017, 22:12:51 »

I agree although I think my old W124 Merc was better again

100%  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2017, 22:29:28 »

Sorry to hear this, Jimmy. :-\

Car faults that have  a touch of 'witchcraft' about them are the type that  worry people most........usually because they can happen at the most inappropriate times.

I hope a good solid explanation is found rather than the fault remaining a mystery.

Cheers Doc!

Thankfully consumer law is on my side here, as it's less than 6 months old, if the dealer can't fix it at the first time of asking I can hand it back to them for a refund. Which in all honesty I will probably do.

I travel too many miles on motorways late at night and early in the morning to have it playing on my mind. As it was the car failed on a road with good visibility and in daylight on a sunny day. Had it happened in the dark in the outside lane of the M6, the outcome could well have been very different. I couldn't even put the hazards on to warn other motorists.

In many respects I was rather fortunate today.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2017, 22:40:53 »

The dealer probably won't be able to replicate the fault, so will just give it back to you and say it was a lose battery terminal or some such twaddle.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2017, 22:49:33 »

They may well try stemo. Thankfully I've been down this road before with other intermittent faults (not on this car I hasten to add) so took some video on my fone to prove that it actually happened. But you're right I'm expecting some BS excuse. Although the chap from BMW Assistance did have me waggle a number of relevant wires in the boot.

Woe betide them if they hand it back to me "fixed" and it happens again. I may have to wind one down on the service manager's desk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.