Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!  (Read 29494 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: One for the BMW haters- fill yer boots!
« Reply #30 on: 12 January 2017, 13:59:53 »

Random theory... communication with key was blocked by something. One of the car parks at work, if i park in certain area the bloody key for the 3.2 won't work unless I'm right next to it. All other car parks it's fine, but this one the key has to be almost touching the paint work for it to work.

I wonder if somehow the keys wireless communication was blocked by something?

I know the range on them is quite impressive, so quite easily get some disruption? Or loose connection in the key to provide power to it?

It would be a brave manufacturer who coded a car in motion to completely shut down without warning in that scenario, though. I would imagine that, once it's verified presence of the key at startup, it's designed to stay running regardless but I might be wrong.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 January 2017, 14:05:22 »

Random theory... communication with key was blocked by something. One of the car parks at work, if i park in certain area the bloody key for the 3.2 won't work unless I'm right next to it. All other car parks it's fine, but this one the key has to be almost touching the paint work for it to work.

I know the range on them is quite impressive, so quite easily get some disruption? Or loose connection in the key to provide power to it?

It would be a brave manufacturer who coded a car in motion to completely shut down without warning in that scenario, though. I would imagine that, once it's verified presence of the key at startup, it's designed to stay running regardless but I might be wrong.

Kevin I think you're right about this. I think it just bongs at you and won't restart if switched off. Also the auto slams itself into P if you're doing <5mph. Happened to a forum member over at babybmw and nearly concussed him  ;D. Mine felt far more like a power failure of some kind. I'll call them after work this evening and see what the lie of the land is.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 January 2017, 15:11:31 »

Kevin I think you're right about this. I think it just bongs at you and won't restart if switched off. Also the auto slams itself into P if you're doing <5mph. Happened to a forum member over at babybmw and nearly concussed him  ;D. Mine felt far more like a power failure of some kind. I'll call them after work this evening and see what the lie of the land is.
[/highlight][/highlight]

After 3 hours of scratching their head, and 5 hours of scratching their arse, I'm sure they'll have the solution. ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 12 January 2017, 15:16:07 »

That's certainly what the Skoda does - bongs and tells you the key has gone missing.. does that if I submerge the key in my pocket under my phone and then sit on it, I've found ;D

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 12 January 2017, 15:25:55 »

Almost sounds like it lost contact with the key?  :-\

Funny you should say that, I did get a "key not in car" error a few days ago, probably all joined up somehow  :-\.

Also, if you want to see how dead a dead car can be, and me nearly being run over by a bicyclist (TBF to him i was standing on a cycle path at the time) this is the video I recorded and sent to the dealer. As a warning, I think it has a bit of swearing on it, so probably should be marked NSFW with the sound on ;)

http://vid27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/jimmy944/4CC856BF-B3CA-4708-81CC-9CDE64D0B08F.mp4
The passing pedestrian was very sympathetic  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 January 2017, 16:40:23 »

The passing pedestrian was very sympathetic  ;D

Ha! yeah, forgot about that guy! To be fair he's about as sympathetic as most people would be to a scruffy bloke next to a brand new broken down beemer lol.

So, I decided to give the dealer a call as 16.30 was fast approaching and I suspect that that's when people would start disappearing. As predicted, the car hasn't logged any faults, nor has their joyriding testing made the fault re-appear. The garage has said that based on the key fault I reported and the video I showed them they are not happy to release the car back to me without authorisation from BMW UK that there is no known fault appearing on other cars of this type. So i suspect i will have the loaner until at least Saturday, at which point I'll be getting my un-fixed car back and the fight will begin.

*sigh*

TBH I am not happy with the outcome so far, but at the same time it is what I ultimately expected. To cap it all, I'll have to leave the bloody thing taxed and insured on the drive and put Mrs 944's car in the airport carpark for a week!
« Last Edit: 12 January 2017, 16:42:37 by jimmy944 »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 January 2017, 17:42:08 »

Not the clear cut outcome you wanted. :-\

I hope they make the unfortunate episode as stress free as possible for you.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 January 2017, 17:46:10 »

I'm sure that will be their first priority. ::) 8) :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 January 2017, 17:52:34 »

Yes...this is my concern, Mr Shackeng.

Most dealers I have encountered seem to come with an inbuilt 'f*ck you' attitude. :-\

STEMO

« Reply #39 on: 12 January 2017, 18:08:12 »

Sarcasm, Chris? Surely not. ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 January 2017, 20:50:05 »

Sadly not. But tbh it is the expected one. When it came back to life and the dashboard wasn't lit up like a Christmas tree I did fear this outcome. So far, the BMW mechanism has been very efficient, other than enterprise taking half a day to find me a car. I suspect that may well all change when I broach the subject of handing it back. And

Unless BMW centrally pull something out the bag that's what I'll push for I think. I need a vehicle I can trust for work. Also There's no way I could go full tilt in the thing knowing it might fail at any time so no enjoyment to be had in it either.

Sad really  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 January 2017, 09:42:34 »

Sadly not. But tbh it is the expected one. When it came back to life and the dashboard wasn't lit up like a Christmas tree I did fear this outcome. So far, the BMW mechanism has been very efficient, other than enterprise taking half a day to find me a car. I suspect that may well all change when I broach the subject of handing it back. And

Unless BMW centrally pull something out the bag that's what I'll push for I think. I need a vehicle I can trust for work. Also There's no way I could go full tilt in the thing knowing it might fail at any time so no enjoyment to be had in it either.

I can understand that. The thought of it happening mid-overtake one day would probably haunt me. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 January 2017, 09:57:05 »

Wouldn't even need to be that though with Canbus lighting systems. All it would need to do is say "computer says no" on a dark unlit fast road somewhere and you could quickly 'collect' a 'high velocity metal-clad visitor' into the back seat  :-\

If it's not a good old fashioned wiring fault : loose connection/cracked fusible link/dry joint somewhere it can only be a canbus fault surely?  :(
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 January 2017, 10:54:27 »

.. or a software glitch  ::) (speaks the software engineer). :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 January 2017, 13:11:21 »

I can understand that. The thought of it happening mid-overtake one day would probably haunt me. :-\
I've had 2 cars that have done that on multiple occasions:
Rover diesel, used to go to idle if you touched the brake at same time as accelerator - not uncommon with slightly misjudge a tight overtake, and just need to lose a bit of speed without taking turbo off boil.  Solution, which I became reasonably adept at after a while was as soon as it happened, release throttle completely and re-bury it.  Still scared the crap out of me.
Shitty Focus, used to go to limp randomly (but no EML), often if used near rev limiter. Only solution was switch off and back on, not viable during tight overtakes. Dealer could never find fault, but admitted they had seen a few with similar issue, and were awaiting an answer from Ford. In the 2yrs we had it, they tried 2 or 3 firmware updates, all supposedly to fix this, but it never improved.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.