Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG kit prices  (Read 20600 times)

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
Re: LPG kit prices
« Reply #30 on: 30 November 2010, 14:08:25 »

Right guys I need to get one of my omegas to run on LPG, I'm moving back to the UK in Jan and I'II need to commute 700 miles a week, so who can help me install a kit???
« Last Edit: 30 November 2010, 14:09:05 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 January 2011, 09:11:21 »

Sorry to drag a dusty one...

...did chrisgixer make a decision or get further info on kits?

I need to LPG "that bloody elite". You never know, I might even start driving it then - its costing me a fortune in battery charging ;D ;D ;D

I am, once again, happy-ish with my Stag.  I've worked out how to get it to lag (almost) consistently, and its defo worse on lower gas levels in tank.  The recalibration has cured the woeful mpg I had for a couple of runs in the first spell of cold weather, before the snow (17mpg :o), and the idle is much better.  Also, the BLMs are hard pinned at one end of the scale ::) - I really should Tech2 my own cars a bit more often ;D

Given the current cost of LPG (73.9p is cheapest around here), I wouldn't want to spend mega money on a kit, and cost does make the Stag seem attractive again.  Plus the knowledge on this site is worth a fortune.

So, AC Stag 300+ or A.N.Other?
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 January 2011, 10:49:37 »

Sorry to drag a dusty one...

...did chrisgixer make a decision or get further info on kits?

I need to LPG "that bloody elite". You never know, I might even start driving it then - its costing me a fortune in battery charging ;D ;D ;D

I am, once again, happy-ish with my Stag.  I've worked out how to get it to lag (almost) consistently, and its defo worse on lower gas levels in tank.  The recalibration has cured the woeful mpg I had for a couple of runs in the first spell of cold weather, before the snow (17mpg :o), and the idle is much better.  Also, the BLMs are hard pinned at one end of the scale ::) - I really should Tech2 my own cars a bit more often ;D

Given the current cost of LPG (73.9p is cheapest around here), I wouldn't want to spend mega money on a kit, and cost does make the Stag seem attractive again.  Plus the knowledge on this site is worth a fortune.

So, AC Stag 300+ or A.N.Other?

I agree LPG has rocketed .. by then so has petrol !! very noticeable after 5 weeks away !!

LPG is still a decent bet though IMHO ... working extremely simple figures ...

Petrol at 129.9 p/litre = £5.90 a gall, @ 23 mpg thats 25.6 pence/mile

LPG at 73.9 p/litre = £3.35 a gall @ 20 mpg thats 16.7 pence/mile

so it is still 34% cheaper. (8.9 p/mile saving). 23/20 are the figures I have after nearly 3 years use .. so a fairly representative average methinks.

If you do 20,000 miles a year a DIY conversion at £700 would pay for itself in 6 months.

Obviously if your consumption is markedly different the maths change rapidly.

My account suppliers (countrywide) seem convinced that LPG prices will drop, it appears the yanks have been buying LPG in megatonnes which has been the major cause of a shortage/price rise.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 January 2011, 10:58:23 »

I've going to vote stag, just because of the huge experience of it here  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 January 2011, 11:56:21 »

I've going to vote stag, just because of the huge experience of it here  :y

I would probably do the same, TBH. It's cheap, a known quantity and reliable and, for 99% of the time, the car drives exactly as it did on petrol.

We must have clocked up a good few miles on those kits between us with very little hassle.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 14 January 2011, 12:30:18 »

As said previously, some of the lag issues on my old car, lift off from Wot, and during some gear changes seem present on my current car which doesnt have LPG at all, although not as bad. There is a dip when lifting as witnessed by Kevin Wood with a dataloging tech 2. Although gear Change issue never showed then, it is there. Although I do need to change the ATF.

So, I can't see fitting Prins fixing a petrol issue however mild it is, it's only going to get worse so therefor a waist of money, therefor fit stag and possibly fit better injectors if at all.

Not done anything about it since we last spoke, but yes also need to sort something out, filling up is making my eyes water ATM!

What happened to ban the pump at £1 a litre? Having said that I'd rather pay for petrol than work on the car in snow/winter.

Anyway, stag it is!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 January 2011, 12:37:41 »

Not done anything about it since we last spoke, but yes also need to sort something out, filling up is making my eyes water ATM!

£40 to top up a 1/3rd full MX-5 this morning. You're not joking. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 14 January 2011, 13:24:52 »

£40 to top up a 1/3rd full MX-5 this morning. You're not joking. ;D

Yeah - I'm even thinking about using the MR2 next week, assuming the weather is half decent.

I keep pondering LPG, but I'm not sure I really do the miles for it to pay itself back before I get bored and change cars or the car breaks* .. plus the idea of having even more crap under the bonnet puts me off a bit - it's not exactly flush for space under there, and it means more stuff to take off & put back on every time you need to do cam covers/cambelt/breathers etc, no?

(*It's started making a very odd 'swish-swish-swish' noise a little like a washing machine at idle when cold.. presumably a bearing starting to break down)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 January 2011, 14:01:59 »

I tend to buy cars in a reasonable state and keep them until they have well and truly had it so it made sense to me.

(*It's started making a very odd 'swish-swish-swish' noise a little like a washing machine at idle when cold.. presumably a bearing starting to break down)

Sounds like a belt to me. Aux belt a little worn? Tensioner bearing getting noisy?

What about the cam belt? How many miles has it got on it?

Kevin

aaronjb

« Reply #39 on: 14 January 2011, 14:09:06 »

Sounds like a belt to me. Aux belt a little worn? Tensioner bearing getting noisy?

What about the cam belt? How many miles has it got on it?

I think (hope ;)) it's the aux belt - the cam belt is supposed to only have ~4K on it according to the stamps in the book..

Having said that I'm tempted to pull it off and do it anyway, just for peace of mind (and the fact that I don't trust little ticks in boxes in a service book!)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 January 2011, 14:47:26 »

Does anyone know of a contact for buying Stag stuff.  I would use you-know-who, if only he would return calls/emails, thus allowing me to give him some money!
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 January 2011, 14:48:41 »

Any further thoughts on which injectors, or stick to the cheap and nasty Valteks, for the same reason?
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #42 on: 14 January 2011, 14:57:12 »

Presume the latest stag kits come with/can be bought with the new magic injectors, or whatever their called, and go from there....?

aaronjb

« Reply #43 on: 14 January 2011, 15:00:19 »

Does anyone know of a contact for buying Stag stuff.  I would use you-know-who, if only he would return calls/emails, thus allowing me to give him some money!

I presume these folks are ultimately you-know-who?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 January 2011, 16:27:12 »

I presume these folks are ultimately you-know-who?

I don't believe so. Teilo was based on the south coast somewhere, IIRC.

Still, they have the Stag 300 Plus 6 cyl front end for £305. Vapouriser looks a little weedy assuming a KM is a horsepower. :-/

Kevin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.