Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manchester explosion  (Read 8390 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Manchester explosion
« on: 23 May 2017, 00:10:50 »

SKY news is reporting an explosion at the ends of a pop concert at Manchester Arena. Several fatalities confirmed.
Details sketchy so, far but sounds bad.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
Re: Manchester explosion
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2017, 00:26:01 »

Yes watching this now they say many fatalities.  possibly explosion was outside the building.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 01:12:34 »

My daughter and wife were there, I got a terrified call of the wife and she was running from the scene, I told her to get into a hotel for refuge. started driving up there but got a call to say they'd got to the car . Both now back but in shock, from what I can make out they were close enough to hear the explosion, see smoke and ash floating round. I've managed to shepherd the little one to bed without her hearing there have been fatalities  :'(  I'm not looking forward to that in the morning

Never hugged them so tight, I'm in bits.

What absolute oppsing abhorrent animal targets children at a concert  >:( >:(
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2017, 01:25:01 »

Sadly 19 dead and 50 injured :'( :'( :'(

So glad your family are okay omegod.

Words fail me to describe evil pigs that cause such carnage and suffering. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2017, 06:14:11 »

This is awful. I have a tear in my eye just trying to imagine what those poor people must have gone through. Happy, excited teenagers butchered in a senseless act of murder.

Jon...thank god your family are safe. Stay together today and just be there for each other xxxx

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2017, 07:55:04 »

Latest toll seems to be 22 dead and 50 or so injured :'( Like all such things a senseless act of violence,I hope they find whoever was responsible.Glad to hear your family were unharmed omegod.My sincerest condolences to the families/loved ones of the victims.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2017, 07:57:40 »

Grim news.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2017, 08:09:58 »

Like all such things a senseless act of violence,I hope they find whoever was responsible.

According to US reports whoever was responsible is in lots of little pieces (suicide bombing), although how they can know that from across the atlantic when we don't know that (publicly, at least) is beyond me. Tasteless speculation or inside information, I wonder.

As everyone has already said, utterly abhorrent actions to target a concert mostly attended by children, but then that's precisely the MO of these animals, isn't it?  >:(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2017, 08:30:01 »

Both now back but  ....

Glad to hear it!!!!!!!

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2017, 08:30:35 »

Just been reported, suicide bomber
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2017, 13:55:49 »

And this is once again why we need the borders shut right now !! and any in the country kick them out along with all their family attachments to minimise the risks.
Far to much of this political correction crap about and far to many "do gooders" about that need to wake up.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2017, 14:07:59 »

Should the BBC and ITV be charged with "Aiding & Abetting" terrorism ??

The amount of free publicity they have handed out this morning is ridiculous... If we withdrew the "oxygen of publicity" then, just perhaps, the copy cats and self important idiots might not think about the next atrocity.

I'm not saying "don't report it" as it needs to be out there .. but stopping all other programmes to keep reiterating the same stuff for 6 hours is, quite frankly, pointless.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2017, 14:08:46 »

And this is once again why we need the borders shut right now !! and any in the country kick them out along with all their family attachments to minimise the risks.
Far to much of this political correction crap about and far to many "do gooders" about that need to wake up.

I have no words to describe how wrong, dangerous and down right f***ing stupid this view is.

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2017, 14:22:19 »

And that's your f***ing opinion.

So your happy for these arse holes to go around killing inocent folk.  We can minimise the risk.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2017, 14:26:31 »

And that's your f***ing opinion.

So your happy for these arse holes to go around killing inocent folk.  We can minimise the risk.

And your evidence that the perpetrator wasn't born and bred in Manchester (or elsewhere the UK) is? Yet you jump to the conclusion that closing the borders will keep such people out?

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2017, 14:30:51 »

ISIS have claimed responsibility.

Whilst the boreres are open it's easy for them to get in.  How do think they come in, parachute?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2017, 14:49:47 »

Should the BBC and ITV be charged with "Aiding & Abetting" terrorism ??

The amount of free publicity they have handed out this morning is ridiculous... If we withdrew the "oxygen of publicity" then, just perhaps, the copy cats and self important idiots might not think about the next atrocity.

I'm not saying "don't report it" as it needs to be out there .. but stopping all other programmes to keep reiterating the same stuff for 6 hours is, quite frankly, pointless.

Yes I agree ^^^^
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2017, 15:00:34 »

Whilst the boreres are open it's easy for them to get in.  How do think they come in, parachute?
Actually via the internet. Good luck with that :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2017, 15:01:53 »

I have no words to describe how wrong, dangerous and down right f***ing stupid this view is.

Yup. When it comes to terrorists, like the US, we grow our own.

The actual evidence (rather than your mate down the pub who knows these things, hates foreigners and went on holiday once but didn't like it) points to a lack of social cohesion and prospects for young people leaving the door open to radicalisation.

So congratulations, by castigating an entire race of people based on the actions of a minescule minority, you're helping the terrorist organisations achieve their aims.

Take a bow  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2017, 15:06:04 »

Why would they need to 'get in' or use parachutes if they were born here?

Three of the London bombers were born here in the UK, and the 4th was born in Jamaica. All were British Citizens.

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2017, 15:10:18 »

Actually via the internet. Good luck with that :-X
They should close that down. There's nothing good on it, anyway.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2017, 15:11:10 »

The actual evidence (rather than your mate down the pub who knows these things, hates foreigners and went on holiday once but didn't like it) points to a lack of social cohesion and prospects for young people leaving the door open to radicalisation.

So congratulations, by castigating an entire race of people based on the actions of a minescule minority, you're helping the terrorist organisations achieve their aims.

Exactly, 'shutting the borders' is going to achieve sod all.

Just take one of the 7/7 bombers, he lived in Beeston, Leeds He lived with his wife and young child and he worked as a learning mentor at a primary school.

ISIS claim for anything and everything, even when they are not involved. It's free marketing for them and their insane cause.

'They' as you describe it, have been British citizens, with Passports, radicalised by the internet, individuals and groups.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2017, 17:29:21 »

Exactly, 'shutting the borders' is going to achieve sod all.

Just take one of the 7/7 bombers, he lived in Beeston, Leeds He lived with his wife and young child and he worked as a learning mentor at a primary school.

ISIS claim for anything and everything, even when they are not involved. It's free marketing for them and their insane cause.

'They' as you describe it, have been British citizens, with Passports, radicalised by the internet, individuals and groups.

A terrible, terrible, event :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

To target children is beyond the words I want to express on here.

Tunnie, you sum up nicely what the situation is, and any hatred towards one group or another is just what these "loosers" (to use Trumps great word for them today) want; for us all to turn on each other. But, for 99% of us we will not let that happen in our great country, nor will the other countries within the democratic world.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2017, 17:43:57 »

Suspect named .. and a native Mancunian  ...

"Greater Manchester Police's suspect for yesterday's attack, Salman Abedi, was born in Manchester and was 22 years old.

He has at least three siblings: an elder brother who was born in London, and a younger brother and sister who were born in Manchester.

The family is believed to be of Libyan origin.

They have lived at more than one address in Manchester, including the property at Elsmore Road in the Fallowfield area that was raided by police today.

Neighbours described how the family would fly Libyan flags at some times of year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40020168

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2017, 17:51:02 »

ISIS is now a type of online franchise. Their propaganda is used to radicalise people who then carry out atrocities in their name.
So unfortunately they are justified in claiming it as one of theirs.
What the answer is, is anyones guess. Its always very difficult to beat an "army" which doesn't wear a uniform and lives among the population. If that then moves one step further to individuals who aren't part of a group or cell, then intelligence isn't really going to help, unless the browsing history of every possible future suspect is intercepted and studied by the spooks.
Without getting into the rights & wrongs of it, its simply not possible to kick every Muslim out of the country and also prevent any more from coming in.
On a slightly different note - it made me sick to my stomach to hear the hypocrisy of Corbyn today, when he issued his condemnation of the attack.
As for the non stop media coverage. Unfortunately theres no stopping it. We live in a 24 hour news cycle world and the only way to avoid it is to change channels. Its only going to get worse I'm afraid.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2017, 18:10:11 »

Doesn't take long for the bigoted, narrow minded folk to jump to conclusions before the facts are released and, as usual, get it wrong :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2017, 18:29:38 »

Well said Tunnie.

Spanish people might remark that we fly the union jack at certain times of the year. Dorsnt make me a terrorist.

One thing is for certain. It is a pretty powerful ideology that leads a young person with a decent life in front of them to kill themselves.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2017, 19:04:24 »

What I keep asking myself is where are the Islamic faith leaders? Seen everything in the news from UK reaction, the world, twitter, political leaders, cabbies, sporting personalities and so on.

But no leaders of the Islamic faith in the UK, why are they not out there condemning this as corrupt version of their faith?

Is it news outlets not giving them airtime on say BBC or Sky?  :-\

I personally can't see them turning down a high ranking faith representative, from speaking on camera.  :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2017, 19:11:12 »

What I keep asking myself is where are the Islamic faith leaders? Seen everything in the news from UK reaction, the world, twitter, political leaders, cabbies, sporting personalities and so on.

But no leaders of the Islamic faith in the UK, why are they not out there condemning this as corrupt version of their faith?

Is it news outlets not giving them airtime on say BBC or Sky?  :-\

I personally can't see them turning down a high ranking faith representative, from speaking on camera.  :-\

It can be found but the media don't like it as it doesn't stir up hate!

People forget that there will likely have been Muslim security guards, police, medial staff, doctors, taxi drivers etc. They all dealt with the aftermath alongside people of all faith and ethnicity.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2017, 19:13:13 »

I agree tunnie the faith leaders-and the law abiding muslims[the vast majority]should I think speak up a lot more.Someone a lot more famous once said "you cannot visit the sins of the father upon the son"so I think some way[don't ask me how as I'm not that clever]to engage with the "ordinary"muslims of this country to try and find out why they feel so did-affected to even consider the radicalisation idea.By understanding this then maybe just maybe we can find a peaceful way forward?

2boxerdogs

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2017, 19:13:23 »

An awful event, god knows how many families are in bits today, what the answer to it all is heaven knows.
R.I.P.  to all  innocent victims.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2017, 19:19:14 »

Great ISIS recruitment advertisement like Northern Ireland internment was for the IRA during the 1970s. :(

99.99999% of people in the UK aren't terrorist losers. The best way to defeat the losers is to keep calm and carry on as normal, while fully supporting our intelligence and security forces. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2017, 21:03:35 »

Great ISIS recruitment advertisement like Northern Ireland internment was for the IRA during the 1970s. :(

99.99999% of people in the UK aren't terrorist losers. The best way to defeat the losers is to keep calm and carry on as normal, while fully supporting our intelligence and security forces. :y

Unfortunately, words and statements, like, 'defeat' and 'they won't win', etc, etc, is water off a duck's back to this scum. They will keep bombing, and bombing. If people wish to gather in solidarity, let them do so. But it will fall on deaf ears, such is the fanaticism  :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2017, 21:58:06 »

It can be found but the media don't like it as it doesn't stir up hate!

People forget that there will likely have been Muslim security guards, police, medial staff, doctors, taxi drivers etc. They all dealt with the aftermath alongside people of all faith and ethnicity.

Radio 4 did have an interview with an Imam from Manchester this morning, and he gave a very good account of himself, I thought.

The rest of the coverage was total bilge playing straight into the hands of the terrorists, of course. >:( 
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2017, 22:53:13 »

My view is that I don't feel it's right that Muslim Religious leaders should be expected to provide comment on these acts. These people are not followers of the tennents of Islam, and what the pressure into denial does is force genuine Muslims onto the same platform as these animals. All it does is reinforce the link in the public consciousness.

I don't recall a similar pressure on local Protestant priests to dissasociate themselves from the IRA.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2017, 23:11:26 »

My view is that I don't feel it's right that Muslim Religious leaders should be expected to provide comment on these acts. These people are not followers of the tennents of Islam, and what the pressure into denial does is force genuine Muslims onto the same platform as these animals. All it does is reinforce the link in the public consciousness.

I don't recall a similar pressure on local Protestant priests to dissasociate themselves from the IRA.

Excellent point, however the "media" frenzy, and requirement of every living soul to make some inane comment now has the mantra "if you don't condemn it you obviously support it" firmly, and totally stupidly, attached to it.... and what the "media demands" the unthinking idiots expect ....  :(  because .. in their eyes ... the media is never wrong .. unfortunately those of us with a functioning brain cell know the media is often wrong ... :(
« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 23:14:25 by Entwood »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2017, 23:15:43 »

I don't quite agree Jimmy. There is confusion (and mischief makers) among the general population regarding Muslims in this country.
If leaders of the Muslim community were to take every opportunity to explain the views of the majority of Muslims it could dispel myths and ease fears for people.
I think the best thing they could do in the near future would be to organise a large "not in my name" type of march of Muslims against terrorists who claim what they are doing is in the name of Islam.
Protestant priests were never backward in coming forward to condemn the IRA, and indeed quite a lot of Catholic priests also strongly condemned them.
When I arrived in England from Norn Irn in September 79, it was just after Mountbatten had been killed, and the Warrenpoint massacre had taken place.
I didn't receive a warm welcome by some people, who would say "you paddys must all be behind them and support them blah blah...
My answer was always the same. "If we all supported them, they wouldn't need to shoot people and blow people up to try and get what they want. We could just have a vote. The fact that they do what they do, proves they don't have the support of the majority".
Most people seemed to understand this, but it cant be applied to the current situation.
Point is though, people need to know, or be brought to an understanding, that these animals are in no way representative of Islam.
If Muslims make the effort to do this, it would save a lot of fear and misunderstanding in the wider population, and lessen the impression that they are seperatists, who are among us, but not of us.
There were " not in my name" type marches organised by women from the Catholic community in Norn Irn during the troubles which imo, may have been a contributing factor in the tide starting to turn aginst the terrorists in their midst, and their campaign slowly but surely starting to wane.
The womens campaign received worldwide publicity, particularily in the U.S. and the inflow of funds  for "the cause"started to dry up.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2017, 00:22:30 »

That won't happen as long as the likes of the Saudis and Emirates keep paying them to leave them alone :-X

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2017, 00:25:54 »

A bloody outrage  >:( & crime against our society.
What to do in the aftermath of this atrocity
Quickly bring in measures to detain the immediate family of the coward who did this

Freeze bank accounts & stop travel of his close friends & extended family
This has a deterant affect of anyone plannig similar outrages.
Friends & family are more likely to inform the authorites, if it means all the freedoms & privileges they enjoy in a free democricy are snatched away from them.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2017, 10:45:12 »

Deterrent? Really? Against someone who is prepared to strap explosives to his waist, go into a crowd of young people and press the button.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2017, 11:03:05 »

Deterrent? Really? Against someone who is prepared to strap explosives to his waist, go into a crowd of young people and press the button.

I agree,there is no deterrent against someone prepared to do that,I very much doubt his family had any idea of his thoughts,still shocking especially when my wife and daughter are off to the 02 next weekend :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

aaronjb

« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2017, 11:47:06 »

I heard a snippet from an "Analyst" this morning whose opinion was "This isn't about de-radicalisation, this is about our security services being able to foil their plots as often as possible. Anyone willing to strap a bomb to themselves and blow up children is too far gone to help."

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2017, 12:34:10 »

Like all such things a senseless act of violence,I hope they find whoever was responsible.

According to US reports whoever was responsible is in lots of little pieces (suicide bombing), although how they can know that from across the atlantic when we don't know that (publicly, at least) is beyond me. Tasteless speculation or inside information, I wonder.

Apparently, inside information: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40026413

We told them. They blabbed. Let that be a lesson to us.. ::)

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2017, 12:42:17 »

Let's keep the threat level at critical and the troops on standby right up to the election. It makes it look like Mother Theresa is Boudicca, and that can't do her chances any harm, can it?  ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2017, 17:30:57 »

Do you know, the cynic in me thought that too.

Heard a suggestion that maybe these would be bombers might not be so keen if they knew that the consequence of their actions would be expulsion and loss of possessions of their immediate (innocent) family. Might work but i could see court cases

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2017, 17:39:40 »

Do we really want to be the type of country who would remove the freedoms of innocent (or, at least, not proven guilty) citizens as a deterrent to those who might commit crimes?

Besides, if suicide bombers cared about their families would they not stop to consider the impact on them of a loved one blowing themselves up?

No, by the time they get anywhere near the state of mind in which they will carry out such attacks, they are a lost cause. We need to stop them getting there in the first place whilst showing that such attacks, whilst causing great sorrow, won't change us.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2017, 17:41:20 »

Where do you expel someone to if the are born and raised here?

The Isle of Wight? Gibraltar? Fair Isle? The Falklands?

It's about time those suggesting such farce applied a bit of sense. Shooting them on suspicion is about as practical a solution. And, fortunately, just as unlikely.

We should be grateful that these moronic attention seeking self abusers are as stupid as they are...  :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2017, 17:41:57 »

Or to put it another way... What Kevin just said ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2017, 19:03:22 »

Do we really want to be the type of country who would remove the freedoms of innocent (or, at least, not proven guilty) citizens as a deterrent to those who might commit crimes?

Besides, if suicide bombers cared about their families would they not stop to consider the impact on them of a loved one blowing themselves up?

No, by the time they get anywhere near the state of mind in which they will carry out such attacks, they are a lost cause. We need to stop them getting there in the first place whilst showing that such attacks, whilst causing great sorrow, won't change us.

Not me suggesting that.  I agree with your sentiment and that of tunnie a few pages earlier.

STEMO

« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2017, 19:37:09 »

Yes please. Where do I put my cross?  ;D

BigAl

• Bromley, Kent
    • '07 Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2017, 00:19:31 »

The best way to defeat the losers is to keep calm and carry on as normal, while fully supporting our intelligence and security forces. :y
yes, cause thats worked so well since 911 :o

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2017, 00:38:53 »

These crimes are akin to an act of war.
Detain the nearest & dearest of the plotters & the bombers.
as time passes & if these ppl divulge what they know, yes. they are returned to their homes.
Look I`m no home security expert, but something new & radical needs puttin in place. As it stands the current measures ain`t working.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2017, 07:58:23 »

I find it very difficult to understand the thinkng  of "we must not offend anyone" these are hideous crimes & the powers that be need to grow a set & deal with this once & for all ,candlelight vigils & the latest bumble bee tattoo are not in my opinion the answer, these lunatics must be laughing their heads off.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2017, 09:01:11 »

Who do you punish and how?

I mean, the perpetrator is already dead. Yes it was a most cowardly act, but in the scheme of things, the casualty rate was relatively low. The whole thing, however distressing for those involved, could have been far, far worse.

Short of summarily executing the entire family of those responsible, there isn't much else to be done. These people are lone nut jobs, and should be treated as such. Media blackouts/manipulation might help reduce the effect of their actions... "22 people die in a freak gas explosion at a pop concert" has far less impact than "Suicide bomber kills nearly 30 and seriously injures dozens of others..."

It sounds like the security services could be clamping down on people on their radar in a more targeted preemptive manner, but they don't seem to see individuals as threats.

aaronjb

« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2017, 09:16:57 »

The trouble with pre-emptively arresting people is the burden of proof.. I know, there are plenty here (and elsewhere) who would like us to just round up anyone who looks suspicious (I guess "has beard, looks Middle Eastern" is probably their idea of suspicious!) and send them to Gitmo - but that is the thin end of a very short wedge that turns us into a police state and one stop short of installing "shower blocks" (yeah, I went there).

That and given the way laws get 'bent' over time, would you like it if your son/brother/sister/father/mother say, ran someone over in a traffic accident and you found yourself arrested for their crime? Yes, in this case the whole family appears to have been as bent as a nine bob note, but that's not always the case.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to deport this guys family - did you not hear where his father and brother were arrested? In case you haven't been keeping up with the news

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2017, 09:30:22 »

Indeed. :y

For want of a better word, dumbing down the media coverage is about the only meaningful thing to be done. Anything else is not a world to live in...

Yes we're used to the whole process of crime/arrest/trial/conviction/sentencing/punishment. But perhaps we can accept the fact that the person who commits these acts generally ends up dead as some sort of justice?

I know it won't ease the suffering of the victims or their families, but you cannot try someone post mortem.

Given that this persons farmily have fled to Lybia, perhaps they can be dealt with there. Quietly and quickly. Failing that be prevented from ever returning here. Seizing any property/cash etc they have here would also reduce the incentive for them to return.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2017, 09:51:04 »

Indeed. :y

For want of a better word, dumbing down the media coverage is about the only meaningful thing to be done. Anything else is not a world to live in...

Yes we're used to the whole process of crime/arrest/trial/conviction/sentencing/punishment. But perhaps we can accept the fact that the person who commits these acts generally ends up dead as some sort of justice?

I know it won't ease the suffering of the victims or their families, but you cannot try someone post mortem.

Given that this persons farmily have fled to Lybia, perhaps they can be dealt with there. Quietly and quickly. Failing that be prevented from ever returning here. Seizing any property/cash etc they have here would also reduce the incentive for them to return.

Whilst I agree with most of what you've written, I don't think 'dumbing down the media' is either a good idea, or very likely to happen. There are numerous 24hr news channels available to anyone with sky TV / Freeview, and all of them are scrabbling about for something to report most days regurgitating the same old rubbish in a 15 minute cycle. When something like this happens, it's bound to be seen as more important than "fireman rescues OAP's cat from tree" and they go into overdrive.  The press need to be report responsibly, but trying to gag them is also a way to a police state.

It's not dumbing down the media we need - its educating the public to realise what can and can't be done, and what will and won't have any effect, and that news outlets have bias so you need to question everything you see/read. Trouble is, despite close to 50% of people going to university now, that education seems very lacking.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2017, 10:30:49 »

I just spent 15 minutes typing a very long reply to this thread, then hit the wrong button and it disappeared into the ether.  :'(
May be just as well.  ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2017, 10:34:14 »

I just spent 15 minutes typing a very long reply to this thread, then hit the wrong button and it disappeared into the ether.  :'(
May be just as well.  ::)

Maybe you only think you hit the wrong button, but in reality the thought police censors got there and erased it in-flight? ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 May 2017, 10:36:48 »

Give it another ten years and we probably wont even be able to joke about it.  ;)
I might retype it after my second cup of tea. Or I might decide its not worth it as only14 people will read it, and 10 of them will disagree with it anyway.  ::) ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2017, 10:51:50 »

Give it another ten years and we probably wont even be able to joke about it.  ;)
I might retype it after my second cup of tea. Or I might decide its not worth it as only14 people will read it, and 10 of them will disagree with it anyway.  ::) ;D

So few? You're not even trying, clearly! ;) ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 25 May 2017, 11:04:20 »

95% of the news after such an event is nothing more than speculative bullshit which does nothing more than infuriate normal people and stir up the right wing fanatics and dogooder loons.

Not suggesting silencing the media, but they could report a damn sight more responsibly.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25 May 2017, 11:07:33 »

The trouble with pre-emptively arresting people is the burden of proof.. I know, there are plenty here (and elsewhere) who would like us to just round up anyone who looks suspicious (I guess "has beard, looks Middle Eastern" is probably their idea of suspicious!) and send them to Gitmo - but that is the thin end of a very short wedge that turns us into a police state and one stop short of installing "shower blocks" (yeah, I went there).

That and given the way laws get 'bent' over time, would you like it if your son/brother/sister/father/mother say, ran someone over in a traffic accident and you found yourself arrested for their crime? Yes, in this case the whole family appears to have been as bent as a nine bob note, but that's not always the case.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to deport this guys family - did you not hear where his father and brother were arrested? In case you haven't been keeping up with the news

That is my favourite point when discussing what to do after such a dramatic incident.  One short step and we are there; back in Nazi Germany and rounding up all "undesirables" who are perceived to be a threat to the State. That way we can clear everyone; oh, hang on that could include me with Jewish / Middle Eastern blood in my ancestry and no fear in expressing my thoughts publicly against anything I see as state injustice!

Doctor Gollum has stated one thing that strikes a chord with me; we are talking about 22 lives, albeit many youngsters and in a diabolical and shocking act that yes we must condemn.  But we are not talking of the thousands as in 9/11, and certainly not the 56 million of WWII.  We must never throw the baby out with the bath water and turn against everyone we do not like just because of a terrorist attack. As I have stated before, that is what these evil bastards want.  They do not care about life, not even theirs that they are prepared to sacrifice for their promised time in Heaven.  They have not got the mental capacity to see what they are doing is in anyway wrong and will lead them directly to Hell, so if 10, 20 or 1,000 people die due to them and their bomb that is a victory. It becomes even better when the society they attack give them the satisfaction of wild hatred being generated amoungst the populous, the media, and here on sites like the OOF.

Let's stand together with our fellow citizens and help the authorities, who have stopped numerous major attacks from happening to fight these bastards on our behalf.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2017, 11:22:41 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2017, 11:23:05 »

All said :-X :-X
« Last Edit: 25 May 2017, 11:27:54 by Lizzie Zoom »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2017, 02:37:15 »

All said :-X :-X

Agree with what you say Lizzie but I'm finding the politicians platitudes wearing very thin, where it is the same patronising words every time, over and over again, here in France, Germany etc..

Politicians have largely got us into this situation and now they are basically saying, we are well guarded and protected and when you cannon fodder plebs are slaughtered, we will say from our safe bunkers, we will never forget (until the next time) etc, etc.

The opposite way to look at it is that the number who have died is 4-5 days UK 'responsible motorist' road slaughter. So, should we class terrorist attacks as the price to pay for politicians mass migration/multiculturalism policies?

I know I'm being a bit provocative here with very two different views, but I think they also represent the views of the different  UKIP/Liebour sides of the UK political spectrum and the closed borders, get as many of the poor refugees into the UK as fast as possible.

What are the views of those on here?

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2017, 15:32:04 »

Sadly....I have seen in many media outlets, forums and Tweeting, the remarks of ...'enough is enough'.. 'politicians in their cocoons'.. 'empty words'.. 'the people have had enough'. And very disturbingly, an increased leaning towards remarks like 'civil war and riots unless something is done'. Geez...I hope not. But there are some people in the public eye coming out with this stuff, not just frenzied members of the public.
And....don't forget, this stuff plays right into the hands of the extreme parties !!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.