Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Manchester explosion  (Read 8392 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester explosion
« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2017, 17:39:40 »

Do we really want to be the type of country who would remove the freedoms of innocent (or, at least, not proven guilty) citizens as a deterrent to those who might commit crimes?

Besides, if suicide bombers cared about their families would they not stop to consider the impact on them of a loved one blowing themselves up?

No, by the time they get anywhere near the state of mind in which they will carry out such attacks, they are a lost cause. We need to stop them getting there in the first place whilst showing that such attacks, whilst causing great sorrow, won't change us.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2017, 17:41:20 »

Where do you expel someone to if the are born and raised here?

The Isle of Wight? Gibraltar? Fair Isle? The Falklands?

It's about time those suggesting such farce applied a bit of sense. Shooting them on suspicion is about as practical a solution. And, fortunately, just as unlikely.

We should be grateful that these moronic attention seeking self abusers are as stupid as they are...  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2017, 17:41:57 »

Or to put it another way... What Kevin just said ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2017, 19:03:22 »

Do we really want to be the type of country who would remove the freedoms of innocent (or, at least, not proven guilty) citizens as a deterrent to those who might commit crimes?

Besides, if suicide bombers cared about their families would they not stop to consider the impact on them of a loved one blowing themselves up?

No, by the time they get anywhere near the state of mind in which they will carry out such attacks, they are a lost cause. We need to stop them getting there in the first place whilst showing that such attacks, whilst causing great sorrow, won't change us.

Not me suggesting that.  I agree with your sentiment and that of tunnie a few pages earlier.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2017, 19:37:09 »

Yes please. Where do I put my cross?  ;D

BigAl

• Bromley, Kent
    • '07 Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2017, 00:19:31 »

The best way to defeat the losers is to keep calm and carry on as normal, while fully supporting our intelligence and security forces. :y
yes, cause thats worked so well since 911 :o

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2017, 00:38:53 »

These crimes are akin to an act of war.
Detain the nearest & dearest of the plotters & the bombers.
as time passes & if these ppl divulge what they know, yes. they are returned to their homes.
Look I`m no home security expert, but something new & radical needs puttin in place. As it stands the current measures ain`t working.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2017, 07:58:23 »

I find it very difficult to understand the thinkng  of "we must not offend anyone" these are hideous crimes & the powers that be need to grow a set & deal with this once & for all ,candlelight vigils & the latest bumble bee tattoo are not in my opinion the answer, these lunatics must be laughing their heads off.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2017, 09:01:11 »

Who do you punish and how?

I mean, the perpetrator is already dead. Yes it was a most cowardly act, but in the scheme of things, the casualty rate was relatively low. The whole thing, however distressing for those involved, could have been far, far worse.

Short of summarily executing the entire family of those responsible, there isn't much else to be done. These people are lone nut jobs, and should be treated as such. Media blackouts/manipulation might help reduce the effect of their actions... "22 people die in a freak gas explosion at a pop concert" has far less impact than "Suicide bomber kills nearly 30 and seriously injures dozens of others..."

It sounds like the security services could be clamping down on people on their radar in a more targeted preemptive manner, but they don't seem to see individuals as threats.

aaronjb

« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2017, 09:16:57 »

The trouble with pre-emptively arresting people is the burden of proof.. I know, there are plenty here (and elsewhere) who would like us to just round up anyone who looks suspicious (I guess "has beard, looks Middle Eastern" is probably their idea of suspicious!) and send them to Gitmo - but that is the thin end of a very short wedge that turns us into a police state and one stop short of installing "shower blocks" (yeah, I went there).

That and given the way laws get 'bent' over time, would you like it if your son/brother/sister/father/mother say, ran someone over in a traffic accident and you found yourself arrested for their crime? Yes, in this case the whole family appears to have been as bent as a nine bob note, but that's not always the case.

Anyway, for anyone wanting to deport this guys family - did you not hear where his father and brother were arrested? In case you haven't been keeping up with the news

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2017, 09:30:22 »

Indeed. :y

For want of a better word, dumbing down the media coverage is about the only meaningful thing to be done. Anything else is not a world to live in...

Yes we're used to the whole process of crime/arrest/trial/conviction/sentencing/punishment. But perhaps we can accept the fact that the person who commits these acts generally ends up dead as some sort of justice?

I know it won't ease the suffering of the victims or their families, but you cannot try someone post mortem.

Given that this persons farmily have fled to Lybia, perhaps they can be dealt with there. Quietly and quickly. Failing that be prevented from ever returning here. Seizing any property/cash etc they have here would also reduce the incentive for them to return.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2017, 09:51:04 »

Indeed. :y

For want of a better word, dumbing down the media coverage is about the only meaningful thing to be done. Anything else is not a world to live in...

Yes we're used to the whole process of crime/arrest/trial/conviction/sentencing/punishment. But perhaps we can accept the fact that the person who commits these acts generally ends up dead as some sort of justice?

I know it won't ease the suffering of the victims or their families, but you cannot try someone post mortem.

Given that this persons farmily have fled to Lybia, perhaps they can be dealt with there. Quietly and quickly. Failing that be prevented from ever returning here. Seizing any property/cash etc they have here would also reduce the incentive for them to return.

Whilst I agree with most of what you've written, I don't think 'dumbing down the media' is either a good idea, or very likely to happen. There are numerous 24hr news channels available to anyone with sky TV / Freeview, and all of them are scrabbling about for something to report most days regurgitating the same old rubbish in a 15 minute cycle. When something like this happens, it's bound to be seen as more important than "fireman rescues OAP's cat from tree" and they go into overdrive.  The press need to be report responsibly, but trying to gag them is also a way to a police state.

It's not dumbing down the media we need - its educating the public to realise what can and can't be done, and what will and won't have any effect, and that news outlets have bias so you need to question everything you see/read. Trouble is, despite close to 50% of people going to university now, that education seems very lacking.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2017, 10:30:49 »

I just spent 15 minutes typing a very long reply to this thread, then hit the wrong button and it disappeared into the ether.  :'(
May be just as well.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2017, 10:34:14 »

I just spent 15 minutes typing a very long reply to this thread, then hit the wrong button and it disappeared into the ether.  :'(
May be just as well.  ::)

Maybe you only think you hit the wrong button, but in reality the thought police censors got there and erased it in-flight? ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 May 2017, 10:36:48 »

Give it another ten years and we probably wont even be able to joke about it.  ;)
I might retype it after my second cup of tea. Or I might decide its not worth it as only14 people will read it, and 10 of them will disagree with it anyway.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.