Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: F@cking Lufthansa  (Read 3299 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
F@cking Lufthansa
« on: 24 May 2017, 13:15:41 »

Took a flight back from Lyon via Frankfurt last Friday and had my carry-on baggage taken from at the steps and put into the hold – not an unusual occurrence but still one that p!sses me off. Anyway, flight was delayed and I only just made the connection. My hand baggage did not.

I was told by Lufthansa that my baggage would arrive on the 08.25 from Frankfurt on Saturday and we needed to wait in to sign for it- again pretty annoying. However the bag didn’t actually make it until Sunday morning, by which time it was damaged (TSA lock broken, corners stoved in), open, and a number of my personal items had been stolen, including my Breitling watch (18th Birthday gift).

I am unbelievably hacked off about this and I am determined to make it as expensive as possible for Lufthansa.

I feel a letter coming on….

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: F@cking Lufthansa
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 13:19:52 »

or write a song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo  ;)

(I know it's a different airline  :y)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 13:33:37 »

Ha!

Yes, I had forgotten all about that song!

United are, in my experience the worst long-haul carrier. Followed closely by China Airlines (But at least CA had pot noodle).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2017, 13:36:47 »

That's the type of behaviour you expect from Rome :'( Hopefully you will get your recourse, although I know that won't make up for the loss or inconvenience :-\

Doesn't inspire confidence as Frankfurt is the stop on my "How to get to Wrocław with using Ryanair for a sensible price"

Slightly off topic, but actually cheaper from Heathrow with Lufthansa than with Spudulike from Stanstead via A field halfway between Krackow and Warsaw :o and I have an old school friend who lives in Mainz, so a stop in Frankfurt actually makes sense. Guess I shall be taking a small rucksack...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 13:49:09 »

Doesn't inspire confidence as Frankfurt is the stop on my "How to get to Wrocław with using Ryanair for a sensible price"

In Frankfurt's (very slight) defence, the bag got back to me via AMS to LHR rather than coming direct to BHX, it was then delivered by the sort of man in van who you wouldn't choose to leave alone with your valuables. Basically there was a generous helping of c0ck-up somewhere down the line and it could have been any one of (probably) half a dozen parties in at least 3 locations across Europe.

But yes, the watch is very upsetting, it is not something I would EVER put in the hold by choice, but in the few seconds I had to remove items from the bag, I didn't think to take it.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2017, 14:38:40 »

Looks like the most you are likely to get back is £1200

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-airline-has-lost-or-damaged-my-bag-what-can-i-do

And expect a fight. They'll probably say you should have travel insurance to cover it.

I regularly carry £5K+ worth of camera gear as hand luggage and would never check it in, especially on a non direct flight. If an airline tried to make me put it in the hold, either at check-in or at the door of the plane then I tell them I will decline to board. This works quite well at the door of the plane, particularly if you already have hold baggage checked in. They have to off load it which almost always causes departure delays.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 15:59:15 »

Next you'll be telling us that baggage handlers are thieving bastards. Surely not.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2017, 17:31:42 »

Took a flight back from Lyon via Frankfurt last Friday and had my carry-on baggage taken from at the steps and put into the hold – not an unusual occurrence but still one that p!sses me off. Anyway, flight was delayed and I only just made the connection. My hand baggage did not.

I was told by Lufthansa that my baggage would arrive on the 08.25 from Frankfurt on Saturday and we needed to wait in to sign for it- again pretty annoying. However the bag didn’t actually make it until Sunday morning, by which time it was damaged (TSA lock broken, corners stoved in), open, and a number of my personal items had been stolen, including my Breitling watch (18th Birthday gift).

I am unbelievably hacked off about this and I am determined to make it as expensive as possible for Lufthansa.

Hope it wasn't as expensive as a mate of mine bought a Breitling watch recently....£5k's worth  :o
Altho I realise its sentimental value is probably more than cost in your case .....

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2017, 17:32:09 »

Next you'll be telling us that baggage handlers are thieving bastards. Surely not.
:o I'M outraged you could suggest such a thing , whenever I've seen baggage handlers carefully loading a plane I've always been impressed with the care and professionalism they've shown  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2017, 17:33:36 »

:o I'M outraged you could suggest such a thing , whenever I've seen baggage handlers carefully loading a plane I've always been impressed with the care and professionalism they've shown  ;)
Do you drink? Alot?

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2017, 18:24:27 »

Do you drink? Alot?
I believe baggage handlers do. They find it, in people's luggage.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2017, 18:26:31 »

At John Lennon airport they have Scouse baggage handlers. No luggage ever leaves the airport.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2017, 18:51:42 »

At John Lennon airport they have Scouse baggage handlers. No luggage ever leaves the airport.  ;D
Landing to CarPark times must be world leading :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2017, 19:02:08 »

Landing to CarPark times must be world leading :D

Yes, but you spend more time with the police, because the baggage handlers took their acquisitions home in your car ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2017, 19:04:25 »

I have a case that has a zip pocket that can't be locked and often when I pick it up the zip has been left open.  ::)

Last time I left a note in the pocket saying F@#K OFF!  :)

Sure enough when I picked up my case the zip was open and the note was gone!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lincs Robert

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2017, 19:57:29 »

This has happened to me twice with the model of German airline efficiency - both from Heathrow via Frankfurt. Once to Poland the other to Azerbaijan for work  >:(

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2017, 21:02:09 »

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-airline-has-lost-or-damaged-my-bag-what-can-i-do

And expect a fight. They'll probably say you should have travel insurance to cover it.

I regularly carry £5K+ worth of camera gear as hand luggage and would never check it in, especially on a non direct flight. If an airline tried to make me put it in the hold, either at check-in or at the door of the plane then I tell them I will decline to board. This works quite well at the door of the plane, particularly if you already have hold baggage checked in. They have to off load it which almost always causes departure delays.
That's a great ploy! Although sadly I rarely travel with checked baggage which makes them more likely to call your bluff I suppose.

I was aware of the limit, and I do technically have insurance, although I will claim from the airline as a weapon of first resort and probably use insurer to cover the difference. I also intend to bill them for the day of my time that they wasted by lying to me (3 times) about the expected arrival time of my case. In fact, the €1200 will probably cover the market value of the watch. Although obviously will not replace it.

As an aside, the first thing the customer service bod asked me was whether I had insurance and that he would advise me to claim on it if so. I (more calmly than I felt) explained that insurance was not relevant, I expected the airline to pay. This sort of thing really hacks me off and doesn't occur in any other sphere as far as I can tell. I mean, imagine if someone rear-ended you and then said "oh don't worry, you're fully comp, just claim on your own insurance"

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2017, 21:50:44 »

That's a great ploy! Although sadly I rarely travel with checked baggage which makes them more likely to call your bluff I suppose.

I was aware of the limit, and I do technically have insurance, although I will claim from the airline as a weapon of first resort and probably use insurer to cover the difference. I also intend to bill them for the day of my time that they wasted by lying to me (3 times) about the expected arrival time of my case. In fact, the €1200 will probably cover the market value of the watch. Although obviously will not replace it.

As an aside, the first thing the customer service bod asked me was whether I had insurance and that he would advise me to claim on it if so. I (more calmly than I felt) explained that insurance was not relevant, I expected the airline to pay. This sort of thing really hacks me off and doesn't occur in any other sphere as far as I can tell. I mean, imagine if someone rear-ended you and then said "oh don't worry, you're fully comp, just claim on your own insurance"

If I'm travelling hand luggage only, I always have a photographers waistcoat and a jacket with lots of pockets with me,  All my camera gear will fit in the 'toggers jacket and/or the coat. It's happened once - Ryanair at Riga - So I unloaded my bag, put all the camera gear in the coat/waistcoat and handed them a now almost empty bag containing just some stale cacks and socks. For some reason they changed their mind and let me take the bag on board ;-)

The analogy with car insurance isn't quite right. They will basically say you should claim off your own insurance, and then your insurance claims their costs off the airline. They aren't setup to deal directly with the public.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2017, 00:03:16 »

The analogy with car insurance isn't quite right. They will basically say you should claim off your own insurance, and then your insurance claims their costs off the airline. They aren't setup to deal directly with the public.

I can understand that. But then that just means the insurance company takes a nice slice (my excess) out of the money that the airline owes for failing to take adequate care of my belongings. That's if they pay.

Last time I had to claim I had threaten to take the insurer to court. I was leaving the USA for London when the plane was diverted to another US airport (technical fault)and I had a near 48hr layover. In order to try to avoid my claim, my insurer said that because I had been diverted within the US, I was no longer on an international flight and they wouldn't cover my layover. Needless to say they declined to put their view before a judge.  ;D

The way I see it, I can take Lufthansa to the small claims court, just as easily as my insurer.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2017, 00:15:30 »

Last time I fly Lufthansa I missed a connection at Frankfurt which wasn't really there fault, they put me in a 5 Star Hilton, paid my Taxi's to and from, bought me Dinner at the Hotel, told me to use the Bar, as well as the mini Bar in my Room, and gave me 20 Euros just in case, as they couldn't give me my luggage as it was in the system for the next flight and I didn't have and wasn't expecting to have any EU money.  :y

So all in all they were good to me, all this of course was before they lost my luggage on the next leg to Hong Kong. ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2017, 09:08:17 »

Last time I fly Lufthansa I missed a connection at Frankfurt which wasn't really there fault, they put me in a 5 Star Hilton, paid my Taxi's to and from, bought me Dinner at the Hotel, told me to use the Bar, as well as the mini Bar in my Room, and gave me 20 Euros just in case, as they couldn't give me my luggage as it was in the system for the next flight and I didn't have and wasn't expecting to have any EU money.  :y

So all in all they were good to me, all this of course was before they lost my luggage on the next leg to Hong Kong. ::)
Probably because they offloaded it in HK after it got there without you... but to admit that would be to admitting that your luggage flew without you. Which, since Lockerbie, is a cardinal sin... if you don't check in at the gate, your bags are meant to be off loaded. No exceptions. This is one of the biggest causes of delays as the decision to offload is always last minute.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2017, 10:52:16 »

They aren't setup to deal directly with the public.

Well, they seem to be "set up" to deal with the public as far as taking their money in exchange for tickets is concerned, and also herding them on and off tin cans. Just not when it comes to dealing with the liabilities arising from doing so. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.