Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: window switch sticky  (Read 5055 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: window switch sticky
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2021, 12:05:11 »

Just resurrecting this topic, as it obviously is an issue on all Omegas (and other modern vehicles for that matter), and any second hand switch / button assemblies are likely to have gone the same way.
I have just put one of my Omegas back on the road after a long period of being laid up. The driver and passenger window switches, plus the boot release button had gone extremely sticky - almost gooey in fact. They weren't like that prior to the car being laid up, and as it wasn't being used, it obviously wasn't sticky fingers that had caused it - it was most likely a combination of of sunlight and general degrading of the 'soft touch' coating.
I tried Ambersill Tar Spot remover followed by Ambersill Foaming Upholstery cleaner, as recommended, which had no effect on the sticky surface whatsoever.  The problem is that harsh cleaners can remove the white symbol on the surface if not extremely careful. On the boot button the symbol can easily be damaged, so I decided to use a product called 'Non Sticky Sticky Stuff Remover', which is primarily intended for label residue etc, and although it took a lot of rubbing and a lot of patience, the boot switch has now come up a treat, and the symbol is undamaged.
On the window switch, I tried all sorts - the above Non Sticky Stuff remover, White Spirit, Electrical Switch cleaner, Solvent cleaner, Ambersill upholstery cleaner, WD40, even brake cleaner, but none of the above worked or even sniffed at the residue.
In the end, similarly to Nail Varnish remover that has been suggested previously, I used General Purpose thinners, which removed the sticky soft touch coating with some careful but vigorous rubbing, leaving the hard plastic finish underneath. It is a satin finish, but almost smooth, but looks excellent. I must stress that you have to be very very careful with the areas between the individual switches, and the L/R mirror control button, or the thinners / Nail Varnish remover will take the black colour off the edges, and the symbol will be lost if the thinners comes into contact with it. I used a cotton bud for the difficult to reach areas, and the cloth wrapped round a thin screwdriver to apply the required effort to remove the coating.
I did actually loose a little bit of the edge of the circular mirror control button, but some matt black blackboard paint with a fine brush on the affected area and it is now hardly noticeable.
Hope that helps anyone with sticky switches!   
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2021, 12:56:25 »

I tend to dismantle them if they're really bad, but the Tarspot/Ambersil approach isn't a single wipe and done. If they're bad, then they require effort and using an old towel helps as you can scrub at it without scratching anything  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2021, 13:05:52 »

While sat in my Omega bored last week while swmbo popped in a shop, I decided to rub some alcohol hand gel on a couple of my switches and it definitely made a decent improvement.
Might experiment further in the near future.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2021, 18:12:53 »

While sat in my Omega bored last week while swmbo popped in a shop, I decided to rub some alcohol hand gel on a couple of my switches and it definitely made a decent improvement.
Might experiment further in the near future.

I think hand cleaners/creams are the cause of many of these problems: they always seem to be much worse on women's cars! Same applies to leather steering wheels and gearknobs. That excludes Fords because the leather they use can be wornout with a cross stare ::)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2021, 19:25:56 »

I think you are right regarding womens handcreams. Have you ever noticied large areas of fingerprint and handprints markings on metallic paint finishes on modern cars, mainly around the  door frames, top of the door skins below the windows, and any area where a hand would contact? This seems to be more prevalent on ladies cars, or on the side where the lady would normally sit. Not that I'm blaming them, of course  :D, but they are extremely difficult to remove even by machine polishing, and they return again afterwards. I'm convinced it has to be something in the oils etc in handcreams or makeup.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2021, 19:35:13 »

Women's cars often have scratched glass too from diamond rings  :(
A good excuse not to buy them expensive rings ,get married etc   ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2021, 22:10:22 »

and i was told that if you get sunscreen lotion on anything its an absolute sod to get off again especially on any matt plastics
I think you are right regarding womens handcreams. Have you ever noticied large areas of fingerprint and handprints markings on metallic paint finishes on modern cars, mainly around the  door frames, top of the door skins below the windows, and any area where a hand would contact? This seems to be more prevalent on ladies cars, or on the side where the lady would normally sit. Not that I'm blaming them, of course  :D, but they are extremely difficult to remove even by machine polishing, and they return again afterwards. I'm convinced it has to be something in the oils etc in handcreams or makeup.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.