Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sutton Bank  (Read 6828 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Sutton Bank
« on: 21 September 2015, 18:29:46 »

Anyone live around Sutton Bank Yorkshire? I ask cos we're going that direction at the wek end while towing. The owner of the caravan site specifically said that caravans are banned, but having had a 'drive' via Google maps, I can only see a sign that tells HGVs to use a low gear. Surely if HGVs are allowed, then I am too. I'm sure that 376 torques can manage a little hill with a box on the back.

It's only 1 in 4 for the hairpin https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2370934,-1.2101813,3a,31.5y,170.1h,77.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK-qtsJ_fChtg1Mf_8TLOMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 .... what could possibly go wrong! ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton Bank
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2015, 18:44:21 »

The problem you will find is that most drivers have little understanding of driving hills. They arrive , don't keep their distance and then see the signs and slow down, then find they need to select a lower gear and panic. next you know a whole load of folk are bunched up and you are doing stop start.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2015, 18:46:52 »

..... and you are doing stop start.

left foot on left pedal .... press right pedal with right foot as you lift left pedal with left foot  :y

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2015, 19:36:18 »

it is signed somewhere that caravans aren't allowed  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2015, 19:53:06 »

but HGVs are ......  ??? ???

Thanks  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2015, 00:21:43 »

but HGVs are ......  ??? ???

Thanks  :y

Sutton Bank, also known as Roulston Scar, is a hill in the Hambleton District of the North York Moors National Park, North Yorkshire in England. It is a high point on the Hambleton Hills with extensive views over the Vale of York and the Vale of Mowbray.

At the foot of Sutton Bank lies the village of Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe; at 27 letters long, it has the longest placename in England.

The A170 road runs down the bank with a maximum gradient of 1 in 4 (25%), and including a hairpin bend. Vehicles have to keep in low gear whist travelling up or down the bank,[1] and caravans are banned from using the section.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2015, 01:56:24 »

Maybe more to do with the articulation of the vehicle than the weight?  Especially considering the hairpins.

EDIT:  Just had a gander at your link.  If anything, that small stretch of 1:4 is very wide and would allow ample room!  It's nowhere near as bad as Porlock Hill on the A39, and I don't believe that has any such restriction.   :-\
« Last Edit: 22 September 2015, 02:01:29 by Broomies Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2015, 09:17:39 »

The A170 road runs down the bank with a maximum gradient of 1 in 4 (25%), and including a hairpin bend. Vehicles have to keep in low gear whist travelling up or down the bank,[1] and caravans are banned from using the section.

Sounds like a challenge to me. :D 1 in 4 in 5th gear is no problem in the Westfield , as long as the speed doesn't drop below 70 or so. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2015, 09:58:09 »

There is a signed route for people towing wobble boxes,. If you think you are better than the law go for it, its challenging enough in an artic, and as for trying it in a modern 6x2, going down not to bad, going up, gets interesting, scrabbling for grip etc,clutch burning etc.
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2015, 10:02:34 »

Maybe more to do with the articulation of the vehicle than the weight?  Especially considering the hairpins.

EDIT:  Just had a gander at your link.  If anything, that small stretch of 1:4 is very wide and would allow ample room!  It's nowhere near as bad as Porlock Hill on the A39, and I don't believe that has any such restriction.   :-\

I wonder if its more to do with accidents with caravans.

When you consider the state of all to many caravan brake setups which are not well maintained and serviced, the easy option may well be to ban them  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2015, 10:20:33 »

When you consider the state of all to many caravan brake setups which are not well maintained and serviced, the easy option may well be to ban them  :y

God, we should be so lucky..

..oh, you only meant on Sutton Bank ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2015, 10:27:18 »

I wonder if its more to do with accidents with caravans.

Maybe. I'll have to have a look at the options of going round .....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2015, 10:31:00 »

There is a signed route for people towing wobble boxes,. If you think you are better than the law go for it, its challenging enough in an artic, and as for trying it in a modern 6x2, going down not to bad, going up, gets interesting, scrabbling for grip etc,clutch burning etc.

It seems that there are challenging hills on motorways in general for some HGVs ...... I've had to wait behind a few of them while they decide that they'd be better back in lane 1and let those following passed.

What's a clutch? ......
« Last Edit: 22 September 2015, 10:32:36 by Andy B »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2015, 10:48:05 »

If it's signed up No Caravans then it's probably because plenty of caravanists have run out of talent (As a former member used to say!) half way up the hill!  :-X

Come and 'av a go if you think your hard enough!!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2015, 10:49:26 »

I suspect some underpowered cars and front wheel drive cars might get properly stuck so the authorities have taken a blanket ban approach.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.