Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: North Korea  (Read 10542 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea
« Reply #60 on: 11 August 2017, 18:47:32 »

So, the latest crisis is nothing new and, no doubt, Trump is considering what happened in 1962 and deciding on the "tough talking approach" that worked then. ;)

That's funny Lizzie!  ;D  ::)

I very much doubt that Trump considers anything from the past or even has much knowledge of it to be honest!  ::)

He's just saying what comes into his head at the time without any thought for the consequences!  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11 August 2017, 18:58:02 »

So, the latest crisis is nothing new and, no doubt, Trump is considering what happened in 1962 and deciding on the "tough talking approach" that worked then. ;)

I very much doubt that Trump considers anything from the past or even has much knowledge of it to be honest!  ::)

He's just saying what comes into his head at the time without any thought for the consequences!  ;D

So you don't think, that as an American of the right age he remembers that past crisis, with advisers all around him that would be considering that historic moment and advising him on what to do / say, that will not feature at all in his actions? :-\ :-\

All leaders with any sense at all, and especially those of a country like the USA, will always consider history in their calculations.  Look at the similarities between the current crisis and the one of 1962. Yes, NK is hardly the CCCP, but the leader has the same agenda as Khrushchev: to test the Superpower to the limit and see who blinks first ;)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11 August 2017, 19:22:51 »

its was all just to cut down this tree

even with all that force took them 42 minutes.  you think they could have just blown it up or bombed it. 8)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11 August 2017, 20:33:53 »

So you don't think, that as an American of the right age he remembers that past crisis, with advisers all around him that would be considering that historic moment and advising him on what to do / say, that will not feature at all in his actions? :-\ :-\

All leaders with any sense at all, and especially those of a country like the USA, will always consider history in their calculations.  Look at the similarities between the current crisis and the one of 1962. Yes, NK is hardly the CCCP, but the leader has the same agenda as Khrushchev: to test the Superpower to the limit and see who blinks first ;)

When have you ever seen or heard Trump look up from the latest copy of Pussy magazine to quote off-the-cuff history? ::) :o ;D

The undercurrent that constantly comes out from the WH is that a carpet is thrown over the decision makers and you know whose views has prevailed by whose bones are pushed out and their 'resignation' is announced. :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11 August 2017, 20:38:47 »

Nope!  ::)  ;D

He opens his mouth before engaging gear, without any thought or consideration and as to his advisors, I'm sure that they have been advising him for 7 months now not to use Twitter without running his Tweets by them first?  ::)

That said, North Korea has made a direct threat against his country and I think he is right to be forthright.  North Korea needs to be in no doubt of the consequences of attacking the USA!  ;)

« Last Edit: 11 August 2017, 20:40:19 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 11 August 2017, 20:54:17 »

He opens his mouth before engaging gear, without any thought or consideration and as to his advisors, I'm sure that they have been advising him for 7 months now not to use Twitter without running his Tweets by them first?  ::)

That said, North Korea has made a direct threat against his country and I think he is right to be forthright.  North Korea needs to be in no doubt of the consequences of attacking the USA!  ;)
[/highlight]

Exactly.  That is what Kennedy did in 1962, and faced up to the CCCP.  Trump is no fool, in spite of how he seems to act at times.  He knows what he is doing, but is not held back by normal political standards, so seems out of line with the norm which so many Americans love.  Kennedy had been a combatant in WW2, and like Trump did not conform with convention.  As those around him shuddered and shook as he faced up to Krushchev and risked nuclear conflict. Americans loved him, as growing numbers are loving Trump's stance. :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 11 August 2017, 21:00:19 »

Just, a small point Lizzie (hope i don,t appear to be nitpicking), but Khrushchev was in fact Chairman of the Communist party of the USSR, not a President as such. He was still the head honcho though ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 11 August 2017, 21:14:32 »

Just, a small point Lizzie (hope i don,t appear to be nitpicking), but Khrushchev was in fact Chairman of the Communist party of the USSR, not a President as such. He was still the head honcho though ;D

You are right, he was at the time referred to as the "Premier" of the Soviet Union, but it is easier to describe him as the President as effectively he did control the country as an American President does, but in a communist fashion involving "committees" and then the main executive branch of government headed by the leader/premier/president, instead of the democratic system of political controlling "houses"; Representatives, Senate and Congress headed by the leader, the president.

I would add to my previous post that like Kennedy, Trump is a "can do, will do" President. ;)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 11 August 2017, 23:46:05 »

[/highlight]

Exactly.  That is what Kennedy did in 1962, and faced up to the CCCP.  Trump is no fool, in spite of how he seems to act at times.  He knows what he is doing, but is not held back by normal political standards, so seems out of line with the norm which so many Americans love.  Kennedy had been a combatant in WW2, and like Trump did not conform with convention.  As those around him shuddered and shook as he faced up to Krushchev and risked nuclear conflict. Americans loved him, as growing numbers are loving Trump's stance. :y

We found out much later that kennedy actually did a secret deal with Krushchev: 'you remove your missiles from Cuba and we'll remove the Jupiter nuclear missiles we already have in Turkey (right next to Russia) and in Italy'

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 12 August 2017, 09:37:46 »

[/highlight]

We found out much later that kennedy actually did a secret deal with Krushchev: 'you remove your missiles from Cuba and we'll remove the Jupiter nuclear missiles we already have in Turkey (right next to Russia) and in Italy'

Correct, and that laid the foundations of an easing of the Cold War threat, although other "near misses" took place in the 1970's.  Thankfully a new understanding between the two powers grew (MAD was eventually concluded as the outcome of any nuclear exchange) and many pressures within the CCCP led to a political implosion.

Will this type of breakdown transpire in the miniature NK?  If Trump maintains the rhetoric and sanctions action in tandem then it could well do.   

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 15 August 2017, 09:33:55 »

Has anyone here actually considered how many nuclear bombs have actually been detonated on our poor little planet already ?? the answer might surprise you immensely...

This video is really frightening in its own way .. and it only goes as far as 1998 ... so 20 years of more detonations missing ...

http://www.ctbto.org/specials/1945-1998-by-isao-hashimoto

More up-to-date information ..

http://www.ctbto.org/nuclear-testing/history-of-nuclear-testing/nuclear-testing-1945-today

aaronjb

« Reply #71 on: 15 August 2017, 10:05:42 »

Has anyone here actually considered how many nuclear bombs have actually been detonated on our poor little planet already ?? the answer might surprise you immensely...

When bored one day you can play "spot the crater" in the US using Google Maps..

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15 August 2017, 10:10:27 »

This video is really frightening in its own way .. and it only goes as far as 1998 ... so 20 years of more detonations missing ...

http://www.ctbto.org/nuclear-testing/history-of-nuclear-testing/nuclear-testing-1945-today

I often say man doesn't deserve Earth. Those numbers and dogged "testing" just confirm my view. Lord of the Flies but on a global scale.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 15 August 2017, 13:30:26 »

I often say man doesn't deserve Earth. Those numbers and dogged "testing" just confirm my view. Lord of the Flies but on a global scale.

Just remember though that nature has used catastrophic explosions on the Earth to achieve it's objectives:

It is calculated that the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago was equal to 10 million Hiroshima bombs

The explosion that destroyed Krakatoa in 1883, and created the loudest sound ever recorded on Earth, heard up to 3,000 miles away, was 13,000 times more powerful than the bomb that devastated Hiroshima in 1945.

But earlier, in 1815, By far, the largest and largest natural explosion in recorded history was the Mount Tambora Volcanic eruption. It’s blast was equivalent to 800 megatons of TNT. 4 times more energy than Krakatoa.

Compare that to the largest nuclear explosion** which was a meager 50 megatons and you can see just how big this natural blast was. It was so loud, it could be heard over 1600 miles away. That’s the distance from New York to Denver. It sent so much ash into the atmosphere, that the next year was called ‘The year without a summer‘.

** and that "largest nuclear explosion" was the great ‘Tsar Bomba’. The bomb was tested on October 30, 1961, in Novaya Zemlya, an archipelago in the Arctic Sea. Originally planned to be 100 megatons, it was actually scaled down to 50 megatons due to technical problems with detonation and due to concerns with fallout.

The explosion was equal to 1,400 times the combined power of the two atomic bombs used in WW2. It would have caused 3rd degree burns 62 miles away and the mushroom cloud was 7 times higher than Mount Everest. The explosion could be seen and felt in Finland. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth. The bomb weighed a whopping 27 tons. Which means it’s to impractical to use in any war capacity.

However, so far nature has far outpaced man for explosive destruction, and long may that be so! ;)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2017, 13:33:54 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #74 on: 15 August 2017, 13:42:51 »

I don't see your point, Lizzie. If Yellowstone ever let go, it could be the end of mankind. Should we be trying to emulate that? So...nature can make bigger bangs than we can, but neither is particularly desirable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.