Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Drove to that London from Devon  (Read 5104 times)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
Drove to that London from Devon
« on: 10 August 2017, 12:46:40 »

In my insignia. God i miss the comfort of the seats of my omega as it felt quite hard but on the plus side the fuel economy was only something i could ever dream of in the omega. 50mpg 700 odd miles round trip and I don't envy you guys one bit who use the m4/m25 everyday it was an absolute joke.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Drove to that London from Devon
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2017, 12:54:02 »

I go M3/M25 every day, there are little tricks like always leave and re-join straight away. This can save some time on M25  :y

Yes I did not like Insignia seats, I tried quite a few spec types, found them all rock hard and not very supportive.  :(

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2017, 13:06:54 »

Wish id know that about the m3/25 lol

I went the m3 on the way back and it seemed to move so much freely

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2017, 13:08:49 »

I go M3/M25 every day, there are little tricks like always leave and re-join straight away. This can save some time on M25  :y

Yes I did not like Insignia seats, I tried quite a few spec types, found them all rock hard and not very supportive.  :(

How does that work? is that like jumping the queue on the motorway ? Bit like the blighters that zoom up the outside of a queue at a roundabout going straight on , then round the roundabout and rejoin 50 places up.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2017, 13:22:28 »

In my insignia. God i miss the comfort of the seats of my omega as it felt quite hard but on the plus side the fuel economy was only something i could ever dream of in the omega. 50mpg 700 odd miles round trip and I don't envy you guys one bit who use the m4/m25 everyday it was an absolute joke.

Did you go via John O, groats ?  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2017, 13:34:41 »

Did you go via John O, groats ?  :D
Haha felt like it lol

Drove from here in plymouth to harwich to see my dad then to north london where i was staying then on way home round to lakeside and bluewater shopping centres then home!!!!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2017, 13:37:39 »

How does that work? is that like jumping the queue on the motorway ? Bit like the blighters that zoom up the outside of a queue at a roundabout going straight on , then round the roundabout and rejoin 50 places up.

Eg on M25, Jc14 is for Heathrow T5. Often bulk of M25 is backed up heading to M4, take the Jc14 slip which is a long filter off. Head up to the round-about, then head straight down again re-joining the M25. Re-joining it's a long slip as well and you can skip a load of traffic. Sometimes it fails due to traffic flowing again and you hit lights on round-about, but you win more times than you loose. Do this for multiple junctions and it's a winner  :y

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2017, 13:47:13 »

Eg on M25, Jc14 is for Heathrow T5. Often bulk of M25 is backed up heading to M4, take the Jc14 slip which is a long filter off. Head up to the round-about, then head straight down again re-joining the M25. Re-joining it's a long slip as well and you can skip a load of traffic. Sometimes it fails due to traffic flowing again and you hit lights on round-about, but you win more times than you loose. Do this for multiple junctions and it's a winner  :y
Never thought of it like that. Great advice.

Ever thought of becoming transport minister?? ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2017, 13:50:07 »

Could you imagine ;D

There are three reasons that the M25 is a constant mess:

1. Most of it is five lanes... alot of it was designed as three lanes, so at most junctions rather thasn rebuilding them, they simply lost the left hand lane (or two), which forces jams where you have five lanes of traffic being forced into three or four.

2. Alot of people do what Tunnie suggests, which blocks the junctions up and then forces people already on the motorway to brake because the joining traffic chooses to shove straight back into lanes two and three.

3. That particular section has five junctions in ten miles which compounds the problem. So whilst junction 11 might be a bit slow, by the time you get to junction 15, everything is at walking pace. Going the other way the junctions are reversed, but the effect is the same.

The funny thing is, Tunnie doesn't actually need to even use the motorway to get to work ;D
« Last Edit: 10 August 2017, 14:03:29 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2017, 14:03:07 »

Don't make me hunt you down  :P I'm sure half the reason it backs up so badly is people trying to join the M25 from the abortion that is the M25/M4 interchange, and half of those are people who have 'skipped the traffic' up the junction like that..

Waze always wants to bring me from work (Chertsey, by M25 J11) to that junction (past Stanwell Moor etc) and I tend to ignore its advice as it is a royal pain in the hole to get around the roundabout and then on to the M25..

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2017, 14:04:13 »

See my edit :D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2017, 14:19:06 »

Don't make me hunt you down  :P I'm sure half the reason it backs up so badly is people trying to join the M25 from the abortion that is the M25/M4 interchange, and half of those are people who have 'skipped the traffic' up the junction like that..

Waze always wants to bring me from work (Chertsey, by M25 J11) to that junction (past Stanwell Moor etc) and I tend to ignore its advice as it is a royal pain in the hole to get around the roundabout and then on to the M25..

I do as well, it often suggests ploughing through Hounslow, which is a sh*t hole. Full of speed bumps and seriously poor roads, pot hole ridden.

I've timed it before, Waze for example says Hounslow route I'll get home at 6:03PM, I ignore it and go up A30 via Hatton Cross to M25, then M3... nearly always home at 6:03 and it's far better route.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2017, 14:22:40 »

Don't make me hunt you down  :P I'm sure half the reason it backs up so badly is people trying to join the M25

You know those who barge in at the last moment, skipping long queues......  ::)  ::)  :-X

Don't like queuing, especially when I'm going to work. Thing is everyone does it, so I'm not just going to sit in queue to feel good. Might as well join them  :D

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2017, 14:23:33 »

I do as well, it often suggests ploughing through Hounslow, which is a sh*t hole. Full of speed bumps and seriously poor roads, pot hole ridden.

I've timed it before, Waze for example says Hounslow route I'll get home at 6:03PM, I ignore it and go up A30 via Hatton Cross to M25, then M3... nearly always home at 6:03 and it's far better route.

Yeah - I'm sure it works well some places, but that doesn't seem to include the UK ;D Friends overseas (esp. in the US or Israel) can't understand how come I can't use it to shave 30-45 minutes off my average commute home (which is ~2-2.5hrs to do a 1.5hr journey); but when that route is Chertsey->Northampton there really isn't much of a viable alternative to just slogging up the motorway as every non-trunk road is just as congested :(

You know those who barge in at the last moment, skipping long queues......  ::)  ::)  :-X

Don't like queuing, especially when I'm going to work. Thing is everyone does it, so I'm not just going to sit in queue to feel good. Might as well join them  :D

*makes mental note never to let any CCs in*  :P ;D Although I'll never know if it's you or Wojciech who I work with (and lives down the M3).. still..  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2017, 14:25:32 »

So you advise people that skipping junctions is best, yet go A30/M25/M3 which is only ONE junction, with a dedicated lane >:(

You could stay on the A30 all the way home and free up a space on the M25 and M3 for people who actually need to use it :-X
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.