Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal fuse cover  (Read 5041 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Re: Internal fuse cover
« Reply #15 on: 12 August 2017, 07:27:39 »

1. Omegod says he has removed these covers before. Ask him.
2. It's the plug body which prevents the cover from being closed enough for safe driving/testing. A dongle would probably produce the same result.
3. I've just experienced the same problem and am now going to buy the most sensible alternative... the extension cable. This will no doubt guarantee that I will not need to use the code reader again in the future.  ;D

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 August 2017, 09:02:03 »

Don't know what you wimps :D are having problems with,just gone outside and took mine off in less than 5 secs.It's a Pfl but I don't think it matters will post a pic after I've taken the dog out.
John.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2017, 09:40:51 »

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 August 2017, 10:23:46 »

A picture is worth a thousand words.  :y

Thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 August 2017, 11:59:47 »

What difference does it make if its resting, the clutch can still be pressed

and what does something that happened 10years ago have to do with a fusebox
It's stupid advice when it can readily be removed.

Its an option, Op cant remove the cover

What about holding the cover closed with black nasty?
Op hasn't tried :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 August 2017, 12:00:42 »

Don't know what you wimps :D are having problems with,just gone outside and took mine off in less than 5 secs.It's a Pfl but I don't think it matters will post a pic after I've taken the dog out.
John.
Indeed :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 August 2017, 12:01:59 »

Just plug it in then hold the cover up till you get in the seat then let the cover rest on your leg.
No wonder you crash... ::)

Open the cover and allow to drop down. Then grab the sides next to the hinges and tug firmly towards the steering wheel. Should simply pop off. If it still has the strap attached, this can easily be removed with the cover detached :y

hmm, i'm sure i had to push the pins out first as well. still if you follows dg's recommendation you won't have to worry about pushing them out.  ever again.  ::)
He could try removing the ecu first ::)  :P

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 August 2017, 12:52:56 »

How do I remove the internal fuse cover to enable me to connect a scan tool while driving?

Thanks

Is that for the AA Genie thingy? :-\

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 August 2017, 17:45:49 »

Just plug it in then hold the cover up till you get in the seat then let the cover rest on your leg.
No wonder you crash... ::)

Open the cover and allow to drop down. Then grab the sides next to the hinges and tug firmly towards the steering wheel. Should simply pop off. If it still has the strap attached, this can easily be removed with the cover detached :y

hmm, i'm sure i had to push the pins out first as well. still if you follows dg's recommendation you won't have to worry about pushing them out.  ever again.  ::)
He could try removing the ecu first ::)  :P

LOL Al.  ;D ;D ;D some one replaced my pins with metal ones and where the plastic hinges on the glovebox connect both was broken off and they did what looks like a plastic hinge repair of there own design. Never seeing one before the pic I didn't want to break it.

Thanks all for your help.  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2017, 08:47:59 »

I see the usual haters are out, trying to pick holes in the CORRECT advice given by a DG.

There are no push pins, voodoo spells or anything else... Open it fully, grasp near hinges and pull. Hardly rocket science.

For those who want to waste money, buy an extension for no reason :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 August 2017, 14:41:39 »

I see the usual haters are out, trying to pick holes in the CORRECT advice given by a DG.

There are no push pins, voodoo spells or anything else... Open it fully, grasp near hinges and pull. Hardly rocket science.

i see the usual dg best buddy is out ::)

do you mean correct advice like the time dg told everyone never to put copper grease on spark plug threads or it would trash the cats? ??? Or claiming that not plugging in the seatbelt will disable the air bags?  :o or the time he told someone with an ecu connection fault to pull all the plugs and put 6 tablespoons of oil into the cylinders  ;D

the fuse cover is not just there for decoration, notice how soft and padded it is? It is part of the crash protection.  if you have a crash with it removed you are opening up your lower legs to be removed. safer to spend £1.83 on an extension  :y
« Last Edit: 14 August 2017, 14:55:03 by migmog »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 August 2017, 16:00:36 »

i see the usual dg best buddy is out ::)

1. do you mean correct advice like the time dg told everyone never to put copper grease on spark plug threads or it would trash the cats? ??? 2. Or claiming that not plugging in the seatbelt will disable the air bags?  :o 3. or the time he told someone with an ecu connection fault to pull all the plugs and put 6 tablespoons of oil into the cylinders  ;D

the fuse cover is not just there for decoration, notice how soft and padded it is? It is part of the crash protection.  if you have a crash with it removed you are opening up your lower legs to be removed. safer to spend £1.83 on an extension  :y
1. Stand corrected on this point, although had previously been led to believe this was the case.

2. This applies to more modern vehicles with seat occupancy detection/pretensions/audible warnings that those plug in clips claim to disable, in this case a newer Mundeo.  But don't let context get in the way of a good character assassination.

3. Standard, effective method for curing flooding when all else fails. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, this was sound advice... Unlike your own suggestion of replacing the ecu ;D

Removing the fusebox lid TEMPORARILY for testing purposes is a far better solution than trying to latch it with an obstruction in place. This would actually make it insecure and liable to drop down at the merest bump and therefore likely to foul both feet and pedals and cause more significant injury in an impact... It is padded on the outer face, but is in no way whatsoever frangible. Smack the top edge of one against your shin if you don't believe me.

Once again, arguing for the shear hell of it :-X

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 August 2017, 18:19:09 »

just a safety warning for anyone reading that.  Under no circumstances, for any car, assume that the air bag will not deploy just because you haven't plugged the seatbelt in. :o  It very dangerous and wrong advice , as i pointed out at the time :y.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2017, 18:37:11 »

No shit... ;D

Not wearing your seltbelt is clearly going to end badly if the collision is significant enough to warrant firing the airbags. Regardless of whether they fire or not. If they do fire and you're not wearing your seatbelt, because you have either fastened it behind you or have used one of those blank clips to turn the bong off, then expect far worse injuries than if they hadn't fired for any given crash ::) which was the point you coquishly chose to ignore.

Anyhoo,back to op, have you released the cover yet?

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2017, 19:03:06 »

i've ignored the other stuff that dg has  wrong (eg despite what he says the fuse cover clearly is softened to minimise impact damage) and concentrate only on his dangerous advice.  i simply repeat what i said at the time, in case anyone stumbles across what he has repeated here and kills themselves

Point is Andy, if the car thinks the belt is plugged in it WILL fire the airbags etc.

Unplugged and it won't/shouldn't ergo no airbag decapitation.

What Dave is saying is that he uses a dummy buckle to silence the warning; it serves no other function; as far as the car is concerned, the driver is wearing a seat belt and will fire the airbags etc as designed.

this is dangleberries and DANGEROUS advice

the airbags will deploy even if you have no seatbelt on.  this is a good thing, you will at least get some protection (though not wearing a seat belt is a bad thing, of course). this is why in the passenger seat you have to MANUALLY DEACTIVATE the air bag if you fit a baby seat. 

its dangerous advice because simply not plugging in a seat belt will NOT de-activate the airbag, DO NOT rely on that not to trigger the air bags and decapitate your baby. 

similarly when working near any of the airbags including side ones DO NOT take doctor gollums advice and think that because the seat belt is not plugged in you  are safe from airbag detonation. you are not.

similarly no objects must be placed in the area in which the airbags inflate, as they could cause injury when the airbags are triggered. DO NOT rely on doctor gollums advice and think that because the seat belt is not plugged in you  are safe from airbag detonation. you are not.

having said all that some omegas are fitted with "seat occupancy recognition".  this is NOT based on whether the seat belt is plugged in, or whether a dummy buckle is plugged in.  it is based on a seat weigth sensor.  from the manual

The seat occupancy
recognition system deactivates the
passenger front and side airbags if the
passenger seat is unoccupied or a
Vauxhall child restraint system with
transponders has been fitted to the
passenger seat.

vehicles with seat occupancy
recognition can be identified by the sticker
on the front passenger’s seat.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2017, 19:05:36 by migmog »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.