Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Learner drivers to be alowed on Mtorways !  (Read 5125 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Learner drivers to be alowed on Mtorways !
« on: 12 August 2017, 23:05:31 »

From next year they will be allowed to go on motorways during lessons. A recipe for disaster imo.
I think we should have a system where you pass your test, then have to take a further specific test, say a year later, before you can drive on motorways.      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40905632

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: Learner drivers to be alowed on Mtorways !
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2017, 23:40:54 »

Is that not the point of pass plus?
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2017, 08:44:06 »

Pass plus is optional, I did it. But not everyone does.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2017, 09:21:20 »

Given the criteria of being with an instructor and in a dual control vehicle, I'm in favour of this.

The current situation where the first time a young driver (legally) goes on the motorway is alone and having had no structured experience or tuition of the situation cannot be sensible.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2017, 10:16:37 »

Given the criteria of being with an instructor and in a dual control vehicle, I'm in favour of this.

The current situation where the first time a young driver (legally) goes on the motorway is alone and having had no structured experience or tuition of the situation cannot be sensible.

Agreed!  :y

It has to be better for new drivers to be instructed properly in how to drive on a motorway.  We all think we can drive on motorways, but how many of us have had instruction?   :-\  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2017, 10:48:45 »

It has to be better for new drivers to be instructed properly in how to drive on a motorway.  We all think we can drive on motorways, but how many of us have had instruction?   :-\  ::)
Have you got many Motorways in Darzet?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2017, 10:53:53 »

Have you got many Motorways in Darzet?

;D

Unlike you Cornish we do get out now and again!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2017, 11:10:26 »

Being able to read helps... It's covered in the Highway Code :-X

As for first time on a motorway alone etc... Shame on those parents who allow this to happen without bothering to take the time to get them used to it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2017, 11:16:39 »

+1 :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2017, 11:57:11 »

As for first time on a motorway alone etc... Shame on those parents who allow this to happen without bothering to take the time to get them used to it.

I guess this can't apply to everyone though. Many of my mates at the time of learning to drive were from single parent families whose mums didn't drive themselves. Although I agree they should in those circs maybe arrange alternative instruction.

Although I also guess some people don't learn to drive until their 30s and beyond. Can't really hold their parents accountable  :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2017, 12:31:48 »

As I said in my original post - I believe its a disaster waiting to happen. New drivers should pass their test, spend a year driving on non motorway roads to gain experience & confidence. Then take a further test before being allowed on motorways.
This stops the current stupid situation, without the lunacy of learner drivers being let loose on motorways.
Or to put it another way. If you choose not to take Pass plus, your not allowed to drive on motorways.
I would also include major trunk roads in this. I was on the A12 near Witham last night in the outside lane. In front of me was a Nissan Micra, driving along at 50mph. It was displaying P plates, driven by a young women who was busy chatting to her three mates.
A long queue built up on both lanes behind her, but she was either completely oblivious, or didn't give a toss.
In the end, dozens of people broke the law by undertaking her, as she was causing a huge tailback.
It had to be seen to be believed.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 12:43:18 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2017, 12:49:56 »

I'm with you on all that, Albs. However, it the circumstances that you described, I don't think it's illegal to "undertake"; the Highway Code states (from memory, not verbatim) that such an action is permissible if your lane is blocked by traffic moving more slowly - and she was!  >:( >:( >:(

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2017, 17:27:25 »

In my travels yesterday the number of young people I found driving like idiots on the motorway was zero.

Number of middle aged idiots sitting in the middle lane on a quiet motorway, two.

Number of lorries taking up all three lanes (yes, on a three lane motorway.. is that legal now?) doing their four mile drag race.. eight. All on UK plates.

I don't think 18 year olds are the problem...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2017, 17:33:47 »

Is it compulsory to pass a driving test these days?. Before 1935 there was no need.

If so I must look into this. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2017, 17:35:55 »

In my travels yesterday the number of young people I found driving like idiots on the motorway was zero.

Number of middle aged idiots sitting in the middle lane on a quiet motorway, two.

Number of lorries taking up all three lanes (yes, on a three lane motorway.. is that legal now?) doing their four mile drag race.. eight. All on UK plates.

I don't think 18 year olds are the problem...

Women sexting/texting can be a problem for the 18 year old who reads it while driving on a motorway. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.