Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pedal code scenario  (Read 1787 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Pedal code scenario
« on: 14 August 2017, 15:02:18 »

Car ...2.6 Elite estate 2001.
To give a brief background of problem......
*Car refused to start....new crankshaft sensor fitted*. Car started perfectly. However since fitting the CS, after a short distance the EM light flashes on, car jerks, then light goes off, and car then runs perfect.
Next problem was the alternator....new regulator fitted, car charges fine.
Took the car out today, short distance, EM light flashed on, jerk, then light off, and car ok.
So came back to do the pedal trick for codes. Flashed 21 times, then EM light flashed and spanner light stopped. Then spanner light went out. Then started flashing again., but intermittently EM flashed, and stopped the spanner light. I did near a noise from under the bonnet each time this happened, like a small knock.
Turned off ignition, and tried again...this time spanner light flashed over 40 times then I switched the ignition off.
Turned ignition on, and this time same scenario as the first time..flashing until the EM light flashes, then intermittent again !!!!
Any thoughts, gents :y

*As a footnote for those who remember, when the car had starting problems, a cheap sensor was purchased for elimination purposes. It is still fitted, as the car has only done about 120 miles since then which was a trip to Brackley and back, and a short trip to Hemel Hempstead and back. I have not had chance to change the CS. Would this be co-incidental or in some way connected to CS, as the car worked perfectly until that fateful day when it would not start. :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: Pedal code scenario
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2017, 15:05:26 »

Can you not get a code reader plugged in?

It sounds like you eml is stopping the full code sequence
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2017, 16:16:03 »

Not got a reader :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2017, 16:18:51 »

Not got a reader :)

Worth investing in one  :)

Either call by that fatty admin bloke or pick a semi-decent off Amazon, as you really need some codes. As currently you are up the creek without a paddle!

Was crank sensor from a dealer?

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2017, 17:41:07 »

Sounds like the "cheap" crank sensor is the problem..... :-\

One from a dealer would be a better bet..... :)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2017, 21:07:57 »

Yes, I intend to get a pucker CS, but if you remember, at the time, due to various reasons for non start were being listed, it was decided to use a cheapie, for diagnostic reasons, just to see if it would start, which it did at first time of asking. Due to having to use the car for personal reasons in a hurry, it was expected that although a cheap version, it should have lasted 120 miles !!!!.
If I get a chance I will get to Brackley and see TB. However, things are a bit hectic here as we have the house up for sale and intend to move to Brackley anyway. It may have to go on the back step, if no easy fix solution is found.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2017, 22:44:52 »

Yes, I intend to get a pucker CS, but if you remember, at the time, due to various reasons for non start were being listed, it was decided to use a cheapie, for diagnostic reasons, just to see if it would start, which it did at first time of asking. Due to having to use the car for personal reasons in a hurry, it was expected that although a cheap version, it should have lasted 120 miles !!!!.
If I get a chance I will get to Brackley and see TB. However, things are a bit hectic here as we have the house up for sale and intend to move to Brackley anyway. It may have to go on the back step, if no easy fix solution is found.

Might be cheaper to buy a Tech2 rather than move near one. ::)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2017, 00:58:47 »

my understanding and experience of the pedal trick is if the spanner flashes more than 10 times I treat that as constant flashing i.e. no codes.  must admit i've never counted much beyond 15 or 20, never to 40.    so i would read your situation as 'no codes stored' i'm afraid.

incidentally i am finding that my code reader misses codes that the pedal trick captures.  i haven't raised this before as obviously it is my own fault i have a cheap bluetoooth scanner (£2.57 delivered) and i should have paid £nnnn for a proper code reader purchased with genuine notes over the counter from a brick built vauxhall dealer ::).  I think also the code reader found codes not revealed by the pedal trick. 

so yes get a code reader but don't give up the pedal trick . the code reader will give you loads of other data like live fuel trims as well as allow you to reset error codes and ltfts.

also i suspect cranks sensors fail when warmed up or start failing that way anyway.  so if your initial problems are from cold it may not be the cs.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2017, 01:02:37 by migmog »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2017, 10:48:15 »

Thanks migmog.
I have decided to take the car out on another run, and log how many times the EM lights up. Up to date, it is just the one quick flash after a few minutes. I'll take it out, and log the time after starting.
It never lights up with idling on the drive, only after its out being driven.
I am probably off track, but wondered if it could be anything to do with gear oil or something.
I'll report back :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2017, 17:49:52 »

Sounds like the "cheap" crank sensor is the problem..... :-\

One from a dealer would be a better bet..... :)
What model V6 is it? I recall the earlier thead, cured by a cheap Crank sensor. If one of your other cars is similar enough, a quick CS switch would nail the fault.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2017, 21:07:47 »

Yes Terry...that thought crossed my mind :y Just a bit tied for time at the moment :(

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2017, 20:18:36 »

I suppose that means no more High Wycombe Forum meetings. That's a shame. Anyway, thanks to Mr and Mrs. T for the meets we have enjoyed in the past. It was an ideal venue; large park park, good toilets and washing facilities, and excellent food served up by Mrs. T.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2017, 21:04:09 »

I suppose that means no more High Wycombe Forum meetings. That's a shame. Anyway, thanks to Mr and Mrs. T for the meets we have enjoyed in the past. It was an ideal venue; large park park, good toilets and washing facilities, and excellent food served up by Mrs. T.
Here! Here!

I couldn't agree more TP :y

Terbs, if it will get this far, happy to plug in.
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2017, 22:52:41 »

Thanks, Jamie...that might happen...i'll let you know how I get on :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2017, 20:41:28 »

Thanks, Jamie...that might happen...i'll let you know how I get on :y
Make sure you give me notice, as once mobile, work want me darting about the country for next couple of months.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.