Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WiFi extender  (Read 2770 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
WiFi extender
« on: 16 October 2017, 16:10:41 »

Amazon have a WAVlink N300 for £17. Has anyone used these or have any knowledge of them? I need to use wifi to reach the Mondeo on the drive, and also for the iPad in the garage. :-\

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Re: WiFi extender
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 16:48:55 »

They do work....but don't expect any great speed through them...probably about 11Mb/s at best  ;)
So no good for streaming....but ok for emails web browsing etc  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 17:50:59 »

They do work....but don't expect any great speed through them...probably about 11Mb/s at best  ;)
So no good for streaming....but ok for emails web browsing etc  :y

Thanks Dave, no streaming, just need to update the Mondeo software, and get OOF in the garage.

Cheers. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 18:10:12 »

Wifi extenders are all universally shite.  Not just slightly shite, but universally shite.

Not only are they shite, but if your wifi device is a bit shite, it will make it so much worse.  And no solution, due to the way they *have* to have the same SSID as your router.

If you need something, the less shite power line adapters are a better bet - one with wifi and ethernet (in case your device has ethernet).  This is certainly what I use in my garage, where the garage PC is.  Mine is one of the £50 BT ones (not inc staff discount), and gives in the garage 2 ethernets and 1 wifi.  I keep the wifi on a separate SSID to home router to stop my dumber devices connecting to that rather than the router wifi.
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2017, 18:30:31 »

Amazon sell a nice little range from Coredy, I use them as additional WAPs, so they are hard-wired back to the main router.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2017, 18:36:51 »

The one I've been using since garage was rebuilt is the slightly older version of this

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-wi-fi-home-hotspot-plus-600-kit-084286-BVFB.html?q=bt%20extender

Which is showing me £45 (I might still be logged in though, so if its showing you more, let me know)
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2017, 18:43:49 »

Wifi extenders are all universally shite.  Not just slightly shite, but universally shite.

Not only are they shite, but if your wifi device is a bit shite, it will make it so much worse.  And no solution, due to the way they *have* to have the same SSID as your router.

If you need something, the less shite power line adapters are a better bet - one with wifi and ethernet (in case your device has ethernet).  This is certainly what I use in my garage, where the garage PC is.  Mine is one of the £50 BT ones (not inc staff discount), and gives in the garage 2 ethernets and 1 wifi.  I keep the wifi on a separate SSID to home router to stop my dumber devices connecting to that rather than the router wifi.

I've already got two power line adapters supplying TV's in different rooms, but can't see how they would help with getting wifi to the car, and reluctant to pay 70 quid for the one in the link. Does that one give out wifi from the second plug? :-\
« Last Edit: 16 October 2017, 18:46:34 by Shackeng »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2017, 18:56:58 »

I've already got two power line adapters supplying TV's in different rooms, but can't see how they would help with getting wifi to the car, and reluctant to pay 70 quid for the one in the link. Does that one give out wifi from the second plug? :-\
Yes.

If you already have compatible powerline adapters at home, just buy the remote end. Don't think BT sell separately, but others do - ideally go for same brand as your powerline stuff, but not essential if all bits follow the spec.

Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2017, 19:06:01 »

The one I've been using since garage was rebuilt is the slightly older version of this

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-wi-fi-home-hotspot-plus-600-kit-084286-BVFB.html?q=bt%20extender

Which is showing me £45 (I might still be logged in though, so if its showing you more, let me know)
£69.99.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2017, 19:35:42 »

£69.99.
OK, so clearly my stupid gay crapBook isn't deleting the cookie.  I would suggest that that exact make could be bought cheaper from other outlets ;)
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2017, 22:24:40 »

Yes.

If you already have compatible powerline adapters at home, just buy the remote end. Don't think BT sell separately, but others do - ideally go for same brand as your powerline stuff, but not essential if all bits follow the spec.

Ta, I'll look into that. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2017, 16:56:55 »

Got a wifi extender same make as my homeplugs, wifi now fine in the garage, connected in the Mondeo but, wifi goes into continuous search, and seems unable to find the 2017 Sync3 2.2 update. :(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2020, 12:57:40 »

Been using the Aztec (Solwise) Powerline HL117EW extender paired with the Powerline HL117EP adapters since this post, and which has worked OK until recently. 115's are still working but the 117 stopped, and now will not pair. Naturally these are discontinued >:(, so I now need a decent WiFi extender, that does not need a mortgage.
Any recommendations please?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2020, 18:02:25 »

Or do the 3 year old recs above
stand?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2020, 19:33:37 »

There is no such thing as a good wifi extender.  Its generally the worse of all solutions.

Solutions in order of reliability (and speed):
Cable
Powerline
Extender

Currently for power line, I would recommend TP-Link stuff, as they generally seem to last, and usually give a pretty stable link in most modest houses.  But obviously a cable is always much, much, much better.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.