Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning; Attempted "BT" Scam  (Read 3527 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Warning; Attempted "BT" Scam
« on: 17 October 2017, 10:27:09 »

Just to warn you all that I had a telephone call this morning from an Indian sounding gentlemen purporting to be from BT.

He tried to convince me that my Broadband connection had been "compromised by criminals"  - there was "Criminals using my connection", and he (tried) to explain that my constant blue light on my router without any other flashing lights proved his case.  I told him he was a scammer and fxck off!  He phoned back and complained about the way I spoke to him as he was trying to help me; to which I replied "you are a scammer, fxck off and I am going to ring BT!  I put the phone down.

Unusually both his calls gave an ID - 07586084673   and    01639 790466

All this has been reported to BT's Fraud Department and they will pursue the case.

Be careful! :-* :-* ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Warning; Attempted "BT" Scam
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2017, 10:44:58 »

So have BT caught the Criminals using your connection yet then, could have been more helpful to the man lizzie  ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2017, 10:53:34 »

Just to warn you all that I had a telephone call this morning from an Indian sounding gentlemen purporting to be from BT.

He tried to convince me that my Broadband connection had been "compromised by criminals"  - there was "Criminals using my connection", and he (tried) to explain that my constant blue light on my router without any other flashing lights proved his case.  I told him he was a scammer and fxck off!  He phoned back and complained about the way I spoke to him as he was trying to help me; to which I replied "you are a scammer, fxck off and I am going to ring BT!  I put the phone down.

All this has been reported to BT's Fraud Department and they will pursue the case.

01639 . . . . . . Neath in Wales. Maybe not Indian then, we talk a bit funny down by here   ;D

I'm sure you didn't actually say "you are a scammer, fxck off", I'm sure you words wre something like "Excuse me my man, I think you have made a bit of a mistake, I'd appreciate it if you would go away!"   ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2017, 11:00:17 »

01639 . . . . . . Neath in Wales. Maybe not Indian then, we talk a bit funny down by here   ;D

I'm sure you didn't actually say "you are a scammer, fxck off", I'm sure you words wre something like "Excuse me my man, I think you have made a bit of a mistake, I'd appreciate it if you would go away!"   ::)

I know Neath, but he certainly was not born and bred there :D :D

Not when I'm dealing with con artists! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 17 October 2017, 11:03:04 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2017, 11:13:29 »

I could have had a lot more fun with him than that. I kept one on the line for about half an hour while he was trying to gain remote access to my pc. I didn’t even have it turned on.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2017, 11:21:32 »

I could have had a lot more fun with him than that. I kept one on the line for about half an hour while he was trying to gain remote access to my pc. I didn’t even have it turned on.  :)

Often I have done that STEMO, but this morning I had just come out of the shower and with dripping wet hair that needed drying I just could not be bothered to let him waste my time.  Being unladylike like was the easiest option on this occasion.  I least I got him to ring me back after my insults, so he wasted some of his time!! ;D ;D ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2017, 11:22:51 »

You wicked people, your all going going to end up in IT Hell when your times up, apparently you end up making lots of phone calls to folk trying to generate revenue for the Devil himself.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2017, 11:24:45 »

You wicked people, your all going going to end up in IT Hell when your times up, apparently you end up making lots of phone calls to folk trying to generate revenue for the Devil himself.

It is fun though when you do that and gives great satisfaction! ;D ;D ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2017, 12:14:38 »

I've found if you are polite you end up with a series of calls and if you give them an expletive-ridden response and believe me with what I call them in comparison Lizzie is being polite. ;D ;D ;D From a dirty little fraudster, see you next Tuesday to their mother's occupation and the diseases she had when she produced him/her etc., etc. :o :o :o

There are psychological things that you can say to remind them of their illegal actions and the inevitable consequences with law enforcement by which time they have normally rung off. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2017, 12:24:08 »

Ha, since posting here I just had a call. I have to say I get a great deal of satisfaction from uttering a very loud "Oh F*** O**  !  It's set me up for the day. I can now be nice to everyone else  :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2017, 12:47:06 »

Ha, since posting here I just had a call. I have to say I get a great deal of satisfaction from uttering a very loud "Oh F*** O**  !  It's set me up for the day. I can now be nice to everyone else  :y

Another one bites the dust! :D :D :D :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2017, 13:02:39 »

Had a call this morning from someone enquiring after my soon to expire washing machine warranty...

He hung up on me when I politely pointed out that I had neither a washing machine nor a washing machine warranty :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2017, 14:52:46 »

I love winding these scan callers up they now hang up on me, one even had the gall to call me a "motherfu**er".

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2017, 19:05:06 »

When I'm home I never answer the house phone directly.I always let it run to the answer phone then if it's someone I know or they've left a message that I feel warrants a response I phone them back.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 October 2017, 20:53:05 »

I love winding these scan callers up they now hang up on me, one even had the gall to call me a "motherfu**er".

I've had few make the mistake of swearing at me, so I go into my's wife's teacher takedown routine to make them feel about 1" tall at which point they hang up. ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2017, 20:57:29 »

When I'm home I never answer the house phone directly.I always let it run to the answer phone then if it's someone I know or they've left a message that I feel warrants a response I phone them back.
+1  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2017, 21:12:41 »

Best way, Baza, because if you answer, even if it's only to say politely to Foxtrot Oscar, you have shown that your line is active, so they know to call again, and again.....
Leaving it unanswered does deter.

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2017, 21:19:32 »

Best way, Baza, because if you answer, even if it's only to say politely to Foxtrot Oscar, you have shown that your line is active, so they know to call again, and again.....

Ron.

That,s fine if your line is not receiving potentially urgent calls where an immediate response is required, but that is not the situation with me.   ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2017, 21:33:50 »

Ron.

That,s fine if your line is not receiving potentially urgent calls where an immediate response is required, but that is not the situation with me.   ;)

Seems you have the wrong line class then.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2017, 21:38:06 »

Ron.

I guess that is one of the burdens in running the global hotlines for U.N.C.L.E and International Rescue. ::) ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2017, 09:20:22 »

Ron.

I guess that is one of the burdens in running the global hotlines for U.N.C.L.E and International Rescue. ::) ::) ::)

Very funny! ::) ::) ::)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 October 2017, 12:44:42 »

:( Our phone is now unplugged for the majority of the time , just got sick of calls from "customer support" and the like , if family need to speak to us they ring the mobile ,everybody else can go away (to put it politely ) !

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 October 2017, 16:06:35 »

But why should you be inconvenienced by these bastards?

Blowed if I will let them win anything from me ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #23 on: 18 October 2017, 16:13:48 »

A recent one I had all I did was shout loudly "Sarge have you reported a fault on the serious crime computer ?" Needless to say the line went dead.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2017, 16:28:01 »

A recent one I had all I did was shout loudly "Sarge have you reported a fault on the serious crime computer ?" Needless to say the line went dead.

That's the way!! 8) 8) :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2017, 17:00:05 »

I let all my calls goto answer machine....its in monitor mode, so I can hear whos leaving a message.....its usually only my mum who calls my landline number (everyone else calls my mobile)....and when she starts to leave a message I pick the phone up....no message left then its not important....simples  :y

Even with my mobile, if only number is displayed I ignore it and let it goto answer service  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 October 2017, 17:02:56 »

Use one of these with your laptop, see how long you can keep the conversation going  :y

https://celebdial.com/c/arnold-schwarzenegger

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2017, 19:52:03 »

And repeat the same scam claiming to be from any company. Microsoft scams are doing the rounds again.

FYI, BT does have the ability, if you enable it, to look at your traffic patterns, and both protect you and warn you if your PC looks compromised.  But the advice (no matter who it claims to be - BT, MS, your bank0 is to call back, ideally from a different phone.  If you can't, and have to use same phone, do stunts like check for dial tone, purposely misdial a couple of times, call a friend first - anything to ensure the scammers aren't holding your line open
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.