Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Theres Snow  (Read 9262 times)

aaronjb

Re: Theres Snow
« Reply #60 on: 12 December 2017, 13:50:02 »

Depends if you know how to drive, though.. although I worked from home that's more about everyone elses driving abilities than my own - I'm told it was gridlock around work (and likely the M25 as well) this morning..

I don't have a problem getting up and down our (untreated, sloping, icy) road, but all I see out there is people wheelspinning around, going nowhere fast or, alternatively driving way too fast for a surface that has all the grip of an oiled stripper..

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 12 December 2017, 15:53:20 »

One guy in our team hasn't made it in today. It turns out neither his MX5 nor his BMW i3 are much cop in icy conditions.

Who'd have thunk it  :o

SWMBO's MX-5 is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on when it snows. ;D </confused>

I think in his case it’s in a garage at the bottom of a pretty steep slope, but tbf he could just fancy a snow day, which I have no problem with either ;).

The CEO of a division of GKN had a Ferrari 458 when I worked there.  He commuted in that all year round, including in the last lot of snow we had. Not sure if that had winter tyres on, but there’s some big ol’ balls either way!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 12 December 2017, 15:56:49 »

One guy in our team hasn't made it in today. It turns out neither his MX5 nor his BMW i3 are much cop in icy conditions.

Who'd have thunk it  :o

SWMBO's MX-5 is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on when it snows. ;D </confused>

I think in his case it’s in a garage at the bottom of a pretty steep slope, but tbf he could just fancy a snow day, which I have no problem with either ;).

The CEO of a division of GKN had a Ferrari 458 when I worked there.  He commuted in that all year round, including in the last lot of snow we had. Not sure if that had winter tyres on, but there’s some big ol’ balls either way!
.. or a point to make and not too much sensitivity to the level of his no claims bonus. Fair play to him, in any case. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 12 December 2017, 18:23:36 »

It is a little dicy on our road this morning, but it's warmed up to a balmy -2.5ºC according to the car.. I did decide to forego the 5.30am commute down the M1 and work from home, though.
I failed to get down the M1 this morning, after failing to get down the M40.  The whole world decided the same as me, and took the A5, so I failed to get down that as well.

So I turned round and came home, what a waste of 5hrs :(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 12 December 2017, 18:26:03 »

including in the last lot of snow we had. Not sure if that had winter tyres on, but there’s some big ol’ balls either way!
I seem to recall Kevin Wood trying similar one icy morning, and filling his nosecone full of earth bank.  I suspect big gonads sudden shrank. Plus there must have been poo...
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #65 on: 13 December 2017, 08:42:24 »

It is a little dicy on our road this morning, but it's warmed up to a balmy -2.5ºC according to the car.. I did decide to forego the 5.30am commute down the M1 and work from home, though.
I failed to get down the M1 this morning, after failing to get down the M40.  The whole world decided the same as me, and took the A5, so I failed to get down that as well.

And that's why I stayed home ;) it's been warmer than predicted here, I think, as the snow is (finally) melting and even our untreated road is largely free of (visible!) ice now.

The pavements are deathtraps of lumpy ice, of course! And the bin men haven't showed up (due yesterday) so everything is still sitting out on the kerb side..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 13 December 2017, 10:33:24 »

including in the last lot of snow we had. Not sure if that had winter tyres on, but there’s some big ol’ balls either way!
I seem to recall Kevin Wood trying similar one icy morning, and filling his nosecone full of earth bank.  I suspect big gonads sudden shrank. Plus there must have been poo...

Nope. There was no poo, I'm happy to report. Anyone suggesting that the gonads were in a position to shrink any further has clearly never driven a Westfield in sub-zero temperatures. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 13 December 2017, 18:55:10 »

And that's why I stayed home ;) it's been warmer than predicted here, I think, as the snow is (finally) melting and even our untreated road is largely free of (visible!) ice now.

The pavements are deathtraps of lumpy ice, of course! And the bin men haven't showed up (due yesterday) so everything is still sitting out on the kerb side..
Postman deliverying the parcels at 7am said to me, "it you're going out today mate, be careful round the corner, its slippery, and I've been over twice".

Defo melted enough I can see bits of grass now, but its re-freezing now, and they are predicting more snow in the next hour :o
Grumpy old man

alfie

• Gwent
    • Mondeo Ghia estate tdci
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 13 December 2017, 19:32:04 »

Hi,it's been quite a while since I've written on here, but yesterday really made me mad. Whilst driving through a housing estate which has speed humps plus about a extra 6 inches of ice on top, my  car suddenly took on a nose down look. Trip to my local garage, which confirmed 2 snapped front springs, now honest I was not speeding,or doing anything silly!.
Could it be the minus 10c temps or brittle coil springs, anyway having it repaired tomorrow, getting to old to bother in this weather.

Alfie

STEMO

« Reply #69 on: 13 December 2017, 21:01:51 »

There’s a road I (used) to go down as a shortcut not far from here. Long and straight, right through a council housing estate. It was used as a drag strip by the local lads, so they put speed bumps in. That didn’t stop them, so they made the bumps a bit higher. This continued until the bumps are like fickin mountains. 3mph or you’ll wreck your undercarriage, never seen anything like them.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 14 December 2017, 21:07:25 »

Seem to have got lucky with the travel. Went to Cornwall on 8th Dec and was just in front of the incident (potential bridge jumper) that closed M5 between Taunton and Exeter for 5 hours. Made it down in just over 4 hours.

Coming back on 10th the salt boys had done a great job on M4 and I did the 260 miles in 3 hours 45.

Just driven up to Manchester today in 3 hours. Glossop tomorrow may be more interesting.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

STEMO

« Reply #71 on: 14 December 2017, 21:12:02 »

Seem to have got lucky with the travel. Went to Cornwall on 8th Dec and was just in front of the incident (potential bridge jumper) that closed M5 between Taunton and Exeter for 5 hours. Made it down in just over 4 hours.

Coming back on 10th the salt boys had done a great job on M4 and I did the 260 miles in 3 hours 45.

Just driven up to Manchester today in 3 hours. Glossop tomorrow may be more interesting.
Are you still running the phaeton, Phil?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 14 December 2017, 21:35:13 »

Are you still running the phaeton, Phil?

Yes now entering its 9th year. It has to do Manchester and back twice more before the end of Xmas break.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 15 December 2017, 18:17:30 »

I nearly went A over T walking to the postbox yesterday, it was bloody slippery out there.

Even today, there is still almost solid ice/compressed snow over most of the road.  At least my patio is fully thawed, even if the grass still has snow on.

I'm bored of it now.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.