Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XC 60 - oil change question  (Read 8434 times)

Lincs Robert

XC 60 - oil change question
« on: 17 December 2017, 10:31:19 »

My new XC now has almost 3k miles on the clock, and is reporting its first service due in another 15k miles. That’s far too long in my opinion - so I’m going to change the oil early. Question is, at what mileage do I change it? It’s not cheap oil, 0-30 FS Edge stuff, which will cost about £70 for a change. So not the sort of thing I want to do willy nilly - which the availability of cheap TC oil allows. There’s not much interest on the Volvo forums about this, but people do report the 2.4 D 5 pots going to mega miles on standard oil change intervals, i.e 18k. Thoughts?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: XC 60 - oil change question
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2017, 10:46:32 »

Think I’d be looking at no more than 6k  :-\ Although whilst under warranty you need to be careful about doing anything other than manufacturers spec ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2017, 10:51:51 »

I'm surprised that there is not an initial service at about 5-6k?  :-\

Too be honest though whilst it's under warranty I'd stick to the manufacturers service recommendations and wouldn't worry about it.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lincs Robert

« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2017, 11:12:18 »

Both goods points, thanks.

My thoughts were an initial oil change at perhaps 6k. That should get rid of anything from the manufacturing process / running in period. I was going to suck the old oil out from the dipstick using my Pela vacuum pump & the put the exact same amount of fresh oil, of the same type, in - without a filter change, or taking the sump plug out. Not ideal I know, but it then won’t leave any tell-tale signs when it does go to a dealers @ 18k.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2017, 11:22:38 »

No mainstream manufacturer suggests that anymore, as it's suicidal to them.

Too be honest though whilst it's under warranty I'd stick to the manufacturers service recommendations and wouldn't worry about it.  ;)
If manufacturer spec parts are used, no issues in servicing more frequently.

OP - How many miles do you expect to do in a year, as if its around your target for oil servicing, then just run an annual intermediate style service on it, and leaving the main/major service at Volvo schedules.
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2017, 12:15:48 »

OP - How many miles do you expect to do in a year, as if its around your target for oil servicing, then just run an annual intermediate style service on it, and leaving the main/major service at Volvo schedules.

I am probably doing 18k a year.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2017, 12:43:23 »

Personally while under warranty I would stick with what they recommend , after that do whenever you think necessary.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2017, 12:48:30 »

If it's petrol, then I wouldn't worry about it - that's what modern fully synthetic oil is meant for.

Diesels are another matter; I wouldn't run it past half the recommended interval without a change.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2017, 12:51:55 »

Personally while under warranty I would stick with what they recommend , after that do whenever you think necessary.

Issue being problems start after warranty period, if you follow their schedule.

I’d either DIY change via dip stick (or dedicated tube?) or ring a few Volvo mains and indies for a quote. If using manufacture specified oil, no issues with warranty  :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2017, 13:31:38 »

Issue being problems start after warranty period, if you follow their schedule.

I’d either DIY change via dip stick (or dedicated tube?) or ring a few Volvo mains and indies for a quote. If using manufacture specified oil, no issues with warranty  :y

Had several new vehicles over the years all serviced as per schedule never experienced any problems.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2017, 13:44:33 »

I'd be very wary of doing anything that invalidates the warranty.  ::)

I bet when Jimmy gave his car back to BMW they went over it with a fine toothcomb and had they found any evidence that he had been tinkering with the car himself, they would have rejected his warranty claim.  ;)

Tunnies suggestion of getting a Volvo dealer to do it insn't a bad idea, or if you DIY then use the exactly the same oil and leave no trace.  You'd kick yourself if the car develops a problem and Volvo reject your warranty claim because you've serviced it yourself.  ::)

If Volvo say the first service is at 18k then I'd keep my money dry until then.  :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2017, 13:52:55 »

I bet when Jimmy gave his car back to BMW they went over it with a fine toothcomb and had they found any evidence that he had been tinkering with the car himself, they would have rejected his warranty claim.  ;)

Tunnies suggestion of getting a Volvo dealer to do it insn't a bad idea, or if you DIY then use the exactly the same oil and leave no trace.  You'd kick yourself if the car develops a problem and Volvo reject your warranty claim because you've serviced it yourself.  ::)

If Volvo say the first service is at 18k then I'd keep my money dry until then.  :y

Agreed entirely, problems usually occur after neglect follow the recommended schedule & you won't go wrong.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2017, 13:55:48 »

Agreed entirely, problems usually occur after neglect follow the recommended schedule & you won't go wrong.

Sorry, disagree. Especially if a diesel.

Omega schedule is oil changes 20k, we know full well what impact that has. I do mine every year or every 5-8k ish.

The schedules are more about fleet maintenance costs, what ever the official schedule is, half it at least.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2017, 14:05:20 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial excuse. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2017, 14:09:04 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial excuse. :y

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty.  ;)

It'll cost you a lot more if the car develops a problem and you've invalidated your warranty.  :(

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.