Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal oil filter housing  (Read 3005 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Metal oil filter housing
« on: 26 August 2016, 11:37:17 »

Trying to do a oil change before I invade Skegness next week and the oil filter metal housing is just starting to spin.

If I carry on turning, will it lock up so I can remove the filter ?

Looked at jamming it with a screwdriver as a last resort but don't want to end up replacing the crank sensor too.

Any idea's ?

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
Re: Metal oil filter housing
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2016, 11:48:21 »

Trying to do a oil change before I invade Skegness next week and the oil filter metal housing is just starting to spin.

Looked at jamming it with a screwdriver as a last resort but don't want to end up replacing the crank sensor too.

Any idea's ?
have you a pair of filter removal pliers that you can grip the housing with.  if in danger of damaging crank sensor is that a pain to temporary remove

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2016, 12:26:18 »

The crank sensor needs one bolt undone and it will pull out. So simple it's not worth leaving it in if you're worried about it.

The filter housing has a small lug to stop it rotating. That's easily broken off, and then you have to find some way of holding the housing, to undo the end cap, to remove the fixing bolt and replace with the modern canister type filter that was designed decades ago to prevent this sort of crap.

A strap wrench, large water-pump pliers or huge molegrips are the tools I'd start with.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2016, 13:18:03 »

Seconded, what Nick says  :y reassemble if you can, get the threaded converter part, and one/several canister filters (what was called VOF 93 but now a 'longlife' version that lasts twice as long and three times the price  :D... but still only three quid-odd)  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2016, 17:05:16 »

I disagree on converting it to the useless spin on type, as they are just too damn messy when changing oil.  Doesn't do crank sensor many favours either, being mounted below it.

Later types are generally only problematic when previously serviced by mongrels, or not serviced at all.
Grumpy old man

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2016, 09:03:38 »

I disagree on converting it to the useless spin on type, as they are just too damn messy when changing oil.  Doesn't do crank sensor many favours either, being mounted below it.

Later types are generally only problematic when previously serviced by mongrels, or not serviced at all.

Dealer / local garage serviced until I got my hands on it 3 1/2 years ago.
Looking at the half rounded off nut on the end of the cap and score marks on the housing body, your probably spot on  ;)

Had this problem before sadly  :(
Managed to get a oil filter wrench wrapped around the housing to hold it while I removed the lid to change the filter.
In my hands this car gets the oil changed every 6 months or 5000 miles which ever comes first  :)

Can the cap / lid be bought separate ?
« Last Edit: 27 August 2016, 09:09:28 by tigers_gonads »

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2016, 10:05:20 »

Any idea's ?

Had this on both of mine - used a metal oil filter removal tool in the end to hold it and get it apart. Since I did this and only put it back on gently as it is meant to be no problem on any future changes  :y I think some garages wind them up far too tight.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2016, 10:26:52 »

Any idea's ?

Had this on both of mine - used a metal oil filter removal tool in the end to hold it and get it apart. Since I did this and only put it back on gently as it is meant to be no problem on any future changes  :y I think some garages wind them up far too tight.

15Nm iirc

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2016, 12:03:35 »

Have a couple here if you get stuck :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2016, 13:25:23 »

I used a chain type oil filter wrench to get the housing off mine, got it from Halfords for around £6,  it was tight as a submarine door, never had a problem afterwards.

The torque setting (15Nm) is cast on the end plate IIRC  :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2016, 20:26:35 »

Useless , just throw it in the bin and get the spin on converter thread  .. Never had any oil down me arm  ???
Omegatitis

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2016, 20:42:35 »

Useless , just throw it in the bin and get the spin on converter thread  .. Never had any oil down me arm  ???

.... and in over 10 years I never ever had a problem with the OE metal canister ... nor did I have oil downmy arm either  ;) ;)

the spin on filter is a fix to something that doesn't need fixing

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2016, 20:49:34 »

The last 2 housing caps i tried removing wouldnt budge ... like either cross threaded or something "not by me"
Just put me off ever trying again especially the cost of the replacement broken cap  :o :o :o Spin on spin off easy peazy . Never looked back since changing and oil filters very cheap in bulk  ;)
Omegatitis

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2016, 20:56:38 »

.... and in over 10 years I never ever had a problem with the OE metal canister ... nor did I have oil downmy arm either  ;) ;)

the spin on filter is a fix to something that doesn't need fixing

And yet how many times has this been posted?

The first oil change on my car, I struggled to loosen the cap with a socket and ratchet. I got it undone by holding the housing with a strap wrench, and some swearing. Getting the filter out without dripping warm oil everywhere proved impossible. On reassembly, I tightened the cap with a torque wrench. Nearly a year later when the next change was almost due, I had to do the same procedure/cleaning up.

That was when I decided enough was enough, and opted for the convenience of the modern(about 60 years ago ::) ) cartridge filter designed to eliminate such issues, and haven't had a problem since. If you spin the cartridge off and turn it upright as soon as it comes free, the quick wipe of spilt oil is enough to lubricate the new filter's rubber seal, just like on the other 237,945,590,341,345,501(approx) engines that they're used on.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2016, 21:11:25 by Nick W »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2016, 21:08:44 »

And yet how many times has this been posted?
Many ...
user error maybe?  :-\

The first oil change on my car, I struggled to loosen the cap with a socket and ratchet. I got it undone by holding the housing with a strap wrench, and some swearing. Getting the filter out without dripping warm oil everywhere proved impossible. On reassembly, I tightened the cap with a torque wrench. Nearly a year later when the next change was almost due, I had to do the same procedure/cleaning up.

That was when I decided enough was enough, and opted for the convenience of the modern(about 60 years ago ::) cartridge filter designed to eliminate such issues, and haven't had a problem since. If you spin the cartridge off and turn it upright as soon as it comes free, the quick wipe of spilt oil is enough to lubricate the new filter's rubber seal, just like on the other 237,945,590,341,345,501(approx) engines that they're used on.

Perhaps you should leave the torque wrench in the drawer/cupboard  ;) I never had a problem, 24mm ring spanner, deft clout with the heal of my hand & it came undone .... every time, even the first time which was at around 100k miles

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.