Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank pulley removal  (Read 1935 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Crank pulley removal
« on: 03 May 2018, 16:23:41 »

What are the forum approved methods for locking the crankshaft on a 3.2l auto, prior to pulley bolt removal.
I've dismissed the idea of utilising the water pump housing as too risky from the damage point of view.
The Haynes manual suggests a home made 'lever' tool bolted to the pulley bolt holes. Anyone had success with this method? Does it not obstruct access too much?
Any experiences appreciated.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Crank pulley removal
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2018, 16:35:47 »

Two ways,
Remove starter, and lock fly wheel, then get long bar or windy gun, and try to undo bolt, when that fails, get an old pulley, weld large bar to pulley, then bolt onto crank, wedge on floor, then get scaffolding pole slide over breaker bar and hope it undoes. 

You might be lucky and it undoes, with a windy gun.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2018, 17:40:30 »

What are the forum approved methods for locking the crankshaft on a 3.2l auto, prior to pulley bolt removal.
I've dismissed the idea of utilising the water pump housing as too risky from the damage point of view.
The Haynes manual suggests a home made 'lever' tool bolted to the pulley bolt holes. Anyone had success with this method? Does it not obstruct access too much?

I bolted a long bar across the crank pulley bolt holes, wedged it against the water pump and heaved on a 750mm long breaker bar to loosen the bolt. It's very tight! A constant force against the pump housing is unlikely to cause any problems.

You'll still need to draw the timing pulley off the crank; adding another couple of holes to the bar, and tapping the centre one makes this easy. You loosely refit the crank bolt, and screw another bolt against it through your newly tapped hole to draw off the pulley.

I have dimensions for this. Somewhere ;D

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2018, 23:47:50 »

on a 2.2dti I removed the crank sensor & inserted a crank locking tool , a breaker bar on the pulley bolt a big jack handle slid onto the bar. it came off easier than I thought it would.  :y

I bolted a long bar across the crank pulley bolt holes, wedged it against the water pump and heaved on a 750mm long breaker bar to loosen the bolt. It's very tight! A constant force against the pump housing is unlikely to cause any problems.

You'll still need to draw the timing pulley off the crank; adding another couple of holes to the bar, and tapping the centre one makes this easy. You loosely refit the crank bolt, and screw another bolt against it through your newly tapped hole to draw off the pulley.

I have dimensions for this. Somewhere ;D

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2018, 09:13:14 »

This is what I did on my 2.2i. Cut a length of 2 inch angle iron, drill two holes and cut a bit away to fit around the crank bolt. Bolt it onto the crank pulley and wedge it on the floor to stop crank turning. Maybe different on the on the V6 engines.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2018, 10:30:56 »

I didn't take any photos, so here's a quick sketch:

the blue and red bars are just one part, just coloured to show how they are used. The blue one is bolted across two adjacent bolt holes, and wedged against the water pump to lock the crank. The red one is bolted across two opposite bolt holes, and the M8 bolt screwed into the tapped hole in the bar against the loosened(but still installed) crank bolt to draw the timing belt pulley off. You might need to reposition the various fasteners a couple of times.

The bar needs to be much longer than shown :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2018, 12:17:34 »

Two ways,
Remove starter, and lock fly wheel, then get long bar or windy gun, and try to undo bolt, when that fails, get an old pulley, weld large bar to pulley, then bolt onto crank, wedge on floor, then get scaffolding pole slide over breaker bar and hope it undoes. 

You might be lucky and it undoes, with a windy gun.

Not recommended, have seen more than one of the sintered woodruff keys sheared on the cambelt lower sprocket via this method.  :y

Hence why the GM method is to retain the cambelt lower sprocket to stop this happening, this is done with a device that does connect the sprocket to the water pump (I just have a long length of bar with holes drilled such that it bolts to the sprocket)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2018, 12:59:48 »

Just to add to Mark's last post, I've been writing pulley which suggests I bolted the bar to the aux belt pulley to hold the crank. I actually used the timing belt sprocket, as that reduces the chances of breaking something.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2018, 14:38:48 »

Thanks for the replies.
It seems I'm a bit over anxious about utilising the water pump, but my bigger problem is tapping a hole for the 'puller' bolt, as I don't have either the tools or experience to achieve this. However, after a lifetime of 'fiddling' with cars it's about time I tackled something requiring proper engineering skill, so I'm going to have a go.
It won't happen for a week or two, but wish me luck.  ;D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2018, 16:47:53 »

Just to add to Mark's last post, I've been writing pulley which suggests I bolted the bar to the aux belt pulley to hold the crank. I actually used the timing belt sprocket, as that reduces the chances of breaking something.
The timing belt sprocket is the bit that breaks....
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.