Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THROTTLE BODY PORT POLISH  (Read 11692 times)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
THROTTLE BODY PORT POLISH
« on: 07 March 2010, 21:19:42 »

This thread is going to cover how to free up some free HP from your engine.

These engines are produced in mass quanitites, and often the attention to detail is...  not that great.

To my surprise the build quality of our engine the X30XE is quite good, and everything fits perfectly but there is always room for some more.

The parts I got are Y32SE Throttle body, and Intake manifold, combined with 3.2L Fuel injectors.
The throttle body has around 50K miles on it and as you can tell the EGR system sure got it dirty!

Each of the throttle plates, as you can see there is quite a bit of room to remove material from the center bar and free up some flow.

Here is the 1st stage of porting, I took 150grit sand paper, and a dremmel and sanded off the edge found inside the throttle body, I also opened up the front part so now its a smooth bore all the way to the narrowest part.

Next up, I need to clean both TB openings and move to a 600grit for a finer finish, and then finish it off with 1000grit.

1.  Installation.
You need 7mm and 8mm sockets. 1 wratchet, and a screw driver. 1 pair of needle nose pliers.

First you need to loosen the hose clamps from the rubber connectors between the Multiram and the TB, both are 7mm bolts...  Also disconnect the power connector to the TB.
Second rotate the trumpets around to gain some room around the TB.
Third, remove the 4 bolts holding the TB with the 8mm socket, they are star shaped but the socket works jsut fine.
Fourth, remove the two water hoses form the TB and spaw them on to the new TB.
Fifth, remove the vacuum line from the TB and swap it to the new TB.
Sixth, reinstall the new TB.  Reconnect the electrical connector.
Reinstall all the rubber hoses and tighten all bolts and lines.
Finally turn the ignition on for 5min, the TB will cycle to off-WOT-off and recalibrate itself.

Once that is done Ignition off, then ignition on, wait 3sec for the fuel pump and start your car, you should see 500rpm once the engine is warmed up.
Upon start up mine ran at 1100rpm until it got warm, so thats about 100rpm more then stock..
Once it warmed up it was fine though.

2. Test drive.

I got the car warmed up to 190deg and took it for a spin before and after the install.  My first impressions are drives like before, no issues, no hesitations, the fun part is when you git the high notes of the engine, somewhere north of 3500rpm there was a slight dead spot before the multi ram kicked in at 4000rpm, now with the new TB its a very smooth transition so I am certain that the car gained some power in that area.

Then the spring from 4000-6600rpm is just a blast, its stabbing power and very smooth and predictable output, and thats where the new TB job really shines.  To my surprise a fella with another silver Catera driving down one of the main roads, I rolled up next to him, gave him the thumbs up and he took off,, of course i followed him and messed around a bit, to my surprise I was pulling on him gaining 1/2 a car from 4000-6000rpm in 2nd gear, from a dead even roll... so you can imagine the TB and exhaust have a lot to do with the extra bit of power.

All and all it was well worth the trouble.  The TB took maybe 2hrs all together to port it with 60grit paper on a dremmel, then 150, 300, 400, 800, and 1000 by hand.  entire job can be done in less then 4hrs...
As far as power increase well its not much to feel it but it maybe good for 1-3hp... < FREE

With the ported manifold, and new fuel injector
s and FPR, i am expecting more like 5hp...  Last dyno showed 194-195RWHP, so if next time I get 200, I will be quite happy.

3.  Install Photos.

Here is a quick paint drawing explaining the actual porting of the TB.

I used the center rib to remove the most of the material.  The overall bore of the TB is the same as I didn't feel like creating a new throttle body plate which can get kind of complicated.
Instead the center rib had plenty of room for improvement and thats where you should look when trying to find more room for flow.

Also smoothing out the edges of the inner bore will help with the flow over the surface.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2010, 10:47:16 by jimbob »
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

feeutfo

Re: THROTTLE BODY PORT POLISH
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2010, 22:12:34 »

lets hope those screws dont come undone.... :o

general thinking on here seems to be that exhaust manifolds are the most restrictive, not much to be gained from induction :-/

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2010, 01:16:54 »

The two differen parts of this build were simplicity and ease of work...

Removing the manifolds on the V6 is next to impossible, and building new ones is the only way to go... not much you can do with the stock cast iron ones...

Where the intake side can get a few improvements by just shaving a bit of material here and there.

The screws are installed with locktite and they are in there quite snugly... I torqued them to a higher values then what the OEMs were...

The actual manifold has a few casting flashes left behind the TB which screw up with teh flow too... if you shave those down and you do the TB poring you are surely going to get a bit more air in the engine.... how much you may say, well maybe enough for 1-2hp, but its free and it helps the power band of the engine by smoothing those areas where air gets turbulent or just doest want to flow like just before 4000RPM...

I have been driving around super happy for the last 2 days, the WOT experiance has totaly changed the way the car breaths all the way to the red line.....  it used to fall on its face right at 6100rpm and now it still pulls all the way to red line...

I was impressed that such a little change can have that kind of effect.

I am planning on dropping the fuel injectors and FPR this week with the new manifold and I will report as soon as I figure out how to get rid of the EGR>..
« Last Edit: 08 March 2010, 01:17:43 by CateraMV6 »
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2010, 04:55:06 »

Stage 2

This part requires removing of the plenum and the lower intake runners.

Once you remove the two bits, you mate them and you flip them over.

Take a look down through the ports and you will see the plenum is not exactly centered on the intake runners, so at this point you can shave some material off the plenum to even out the step.

Te less steps you have the smoother your flow will be.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2010, 10:48:03 by jimbob »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.