Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ronnies final Omega project finished  (Read 3867 times)

RonaldMcBurger

Ronnies final Omega project finished
« on: 22 July 2006, 16:58:25 »

For those who have followed my projects over the past few months, you will know what I am on about. This is the 2.5TD CDX Auto Estate i piucked up from Ebay with a blown auto gearbox.

Car cost me £530. I paid £60 to have it low-loaded and delivered to me where Laidnback and I changed the autobox for an AR35 salvaged from a dead 3.0 Elite. The box cost me £35!

It drove after this, but had no guts at all. On investigating today I discovered that I had accidentally connected up two vacuum pipes incorrectly and thus the Manifold Pressure sensor was not working and therefore the turbo boost pressure was not actuated. As soon as the pipes were re-routed correctly it went like the clappers again.

Only two things to sort are a new mid to rear exhaust section (about £120 new) and one climate control panel (glass broken). Otherwise everything works and it drives superbly.

So, I end up with a car I can make use of at last. 1996 Omeg 2.5TD Auto Estate with only 66k from new. Now for the grand old total of about £700 with the exhaust, that isn't bad for a car worth over £2000.

Have a go yourselves. It is not as hard as it may seem. Just take your time and shout if you need advise or help. If I can do them, anyone can.

Sadly, this is to be my last Omega project for two reasons. I am studying a lot at the moment for my ADI exams and I also cannot manage this level of work with my back and shoulder problems anymore. It has been great fun doing them and most rewarding both in achievement senses and financially. This car owes me nothing in real terms as I made decent profits out of all the other ones. In fact, I have made a healthy profit on all my last 7 omegas.
Like I say, don't write it off just because the autobox dies. It is actually not that hard a job as long as you have the right tools, somewhere firm to work and a decent mate to help.

Many, many thanks to Laidback for his invaluable help and generosity in time. Mark also for his wisdom
and help and mainly to all of you lot for your encouragement.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Ronnies final Omega project finished
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2006, 17:04:58 »

Yet again, great project. Well done :D

Saddened to here it will be your last - its been great to read your trials and tribulations with your Omegas, and I'm sure we will all miss your sagas with them.

I know you'll hang around here, but just wanted to wish you good luck with your studying.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2006, 17:09:05 »

Your projects are interesting - sad for them to come to an end

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2006, 17:51:57 »

Nice one Finlay!  I think I would be inclined to sit back rather smugly after 7 successful omega restores!  (well in my case 1 would be plenty ;))

Good luck with your ADI, but I bet before long you will be browsing through e-bay, spot another so called dead omega and before we know it, Project number 8 is underway!!

Cheers
Merv

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2006, 17:53:52 »

well done on completing it m8, although you have finished now (which is shame) i think a lot of people here might go into these projects!

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2006, 18:42:24 »

well done fin  ;) you know you will be back doing them when you finished studing  ::) hope the exams go allright for you mate  ;)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2006, 18:49:15 »

Fin is like a boxer... says he has retired, then comes back to do one last one!  ;D
The Administrator.

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2006, 20:58:19 »

Fin is like a boxer... says he has retired, then comes back to do one last one!  ;D

All it takes is a bargain at the right time!!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2006, 08:15:49 »

Perhaps Fin's going to start rescueing Pugs now  ;D
« Last Edit: 23 July 2006, 08:16:10 by Taxi_Driver »

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2006, 08:58:11 »

No..... but I did rescue this last night:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140011047572&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

£50 and all it needed was the software opened and then installed. PDA with tom tom sat Nav for £50??? Can't be bad.

stuart30

« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2006, 09:02:33 »

Looks like a bargain....a man of many talents then Ronnie. :)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2006, 09:39:11 »

TBH I was happy with just the PDA for that, I didn't really expect to get the tom tom working as he indicated it was the receiver that was dead. Helps to plug in the car adapter (which was still sealed) as this one neeeds the signal boost on or it won't have a signal. All done and working and now I just need to install Ozzie Osborne for directions..... TAke the next f***ing left etc. ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2006, 09:40:53 »

Absolute bargain you got there - don't you just love stupid people...   ;D
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2006, 09:58:59 »

Nice one Fin!  :D

I await with interest to see what the next "Ronnies Project" will be then?  ;)
The Administrator.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2006, 10:34:39 »

good to hear you've sorted out all the miggies, has been interesting (and entertaining!) reading about them ... and good luck with the ADI course - hope you don't get too many students with the same level of ability as the satnav owner, could prove to be hard work otherwise!

From memory, the existing software on that PDA is a HP customised version - you'll need to install tomtom v5 before you can change the voice ...
« Last Edit: 23 July 2006, 10:38:16 by sounds2k »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.