Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Slick 50. Is it worth it?  (Read 2396 times)

Jim Bob2

• Essex
    • View Profile
Slick 50. Is it worth it?
« on: 04 March 2007, 11:53:53 »

Has anybody proved this product to be beneficial either engine or gearbox. Any noticable improvements in smoothness? Any evidence of reduced wear?
They promise alot on the packaging.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: Slick 50. Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2007, 12:16:48 »

I used it in my Astra.  It is hard if not impossible to tell if it made a difference.  To be honest, I think that the best protection you can give the engine is regular oil / filter changes say every 3000 miles.

On balance, not worth it in my opinion.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2007, 12:37:50 »

I'd say it's snake oil. If there are magic ingredients to reduce friction and wear a good quality oil already has them in.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2007, 17:07:27 »

I used to use Molyslip in all our engines...  having first used it on a Rally event...  in an RS2000 Mk1 and had it prove it's worth...  we cracked the sump (smashed the sumpguard to bits on a rock) , lost nearly all the oil in a mile or so and still had some 15 miles of special stage to go....

got to the end of stage, Service crew replaced Sump , Sump-guard and oil, and a new tin of molyslip/.

Zero observable damage to engine, Finished the Event (4 more stages) and the next 2 events before scheduled rebuild....   rebuild showed no more obvious wear in bearings and the like than was normal for the engine...

Molyslip proved it's worth......

I've been using slick 50 in the Meega, actually because it came as part of a package deal with some injector cleaner... which i use.

some say mine is one of the nicest/smoothest sounding V6 meegas they've worked on recently .

whether that's got ANYTHING to do with Slick50, I have no idea...  

max

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Jim Bob2

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2007, 17:23:32 »

Thats interesting. I heard another story of an engine treated with slick 50 running dry of oil and sufffering no harm before. I think a newish well run in engine would benefit the most. Putting it in an already knackered engine is probably a waste of money.
Thanks for the feedback.

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2007, 17:32:04 »

I use active8 additive in my motorbikes and quality oil in my car and change the oil every six months
If an artic overtakes you, you're driving too slow!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2007, 17:39:20 »

Thats interesting. I heard another story of an engine treated with slick 50 running dry of oil and sufffering no harm before. I think a newish well run in engine would benefit the most. Putting it in an already knackered engine is probably a waste of money.
Thanks for the feedback.
I think they used to do it one the advert. Put slick 50 in the oil the drain it the drive the car :o
« Last Edit: 04 March 2007, 17:39:36 by Elite_Pete »
Retired

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2007, 18:25:54 »

Thanks for the feedback.
I think they used to do it one the advert. Put slick 50 in the oil the drain it the drive the car :o

.......for about 20yds after the camera stopped ;D

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2007, 18:30:10 »

I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone seriously rely on it.....  and it IS kind of expensive, as you have to replace it every at every oil change, 3-6000 miles or so... hell it's nearly as much as another load of Vx semi-synth oil for an extra change... indeed it might be more if you have TC.

Note my 'proof of worth" tale was concerning our use of Molyslip (molybdenum sulphide? ) NOT Slick 50 , which i think i recall  is an activated form of PTFE.

What's more my Bro has corrected me....  On the RS2K Pinto lump,  there was more wear at the next rebuild, some increased evidence of heat in a blue tingeing of the main bearing shells, but as they were being replaced, and the crank was unaffected, it was effectively nil.    basically the end result was that it saved the engine .

I can only say that my Meega has had Slick50 consistently, in every oil change and seems very smooth ....

I have not had a major oil loss to test the theory of it's protective powers, nor do i PLAN on doing so ;)

Thinking back to the advert that prompted us to use Molyslip in the first place....   I THINK, that was the one where they filled a car with oil and the product, ran it for 50 laps , then drained it, then ran it for another 50 laps.....  and then re-filled it , and there was no apparent damage... the car then went on to run for 24 hours as an endurance test  just fine....  

or something like that.....

Max
« Last Edit: 04 March 2007, 18:41:11 by MaxV6 »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2007, 18:49:39 »

IMO, never, ever, ever ever use any oil additives....

Just a personal opinion.. a well looked after engine wouldn't benefit from it... and for a not so well looked after engine.. recommend severl oil changes close together to flush/clean it.. NOT a flushing agent...

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2007, 23:35:00 »

The whole idea behind the TEFLON additive is that it would bond with the metals of the engine and reduce friction. Unfortunately due to the very high temperatures required for this phenomenon to happen most of the teflon just accumulates in oil galleries reducing their ID and restricting oil flow.
Bad idea in my opinion, i would experiment only with an engine that is on its last legs. But i have used MOTORKOTE which works on a different principle and i have found it to make wanders. Very expensive though about 30£ per 200ml but they say that it lasts for 80K km.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2007, 09:04:49 »

Dam awful stuff.....and once its in, you never fully get it out......and stripping heads down that have had the stuff round them is bloody awful...

MaxV6's engine sounds smooth because the aux componenst dont have any noisey bearings......and the passenger side gets a regular steam clean ;).....which reminds me, did the leak get fixed.........

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2007, 09:21:59 »

it would seem so Mark....   James replaced the stat and stat housing....  and fitted new o rings on the transfer pipe, and it now seems to be behaving....  I just got back from sitting in rush hour traffic on the school rune ...  45 minutes of stop start,1 minute of 70MPH on the flat , 3 minutes of uphill 30mph, not one wisp of steam...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2007, 09:36:58 »

Glad you got that sorted, Max.  :)

Regarding additives, being able to run on no oil isn't much of a selling point for me because it isn't a likely scenario for my car. Surely adding particles to the oil can only increase wear during normal circumstances?

The only reason I can imagine why someone doesn't sell oil incorporating these substances ready-mixed is that the oil wouldn't meet the API and ACEA specifications.

Anyway, in my experience, unless you're really unlucky modern cars rot away before the engine gives up. I've stripped a few modern engines with 6 figure mileages and can't remember one where the honing marks weren't still visible on pretty much the whole surface of the bore.

Now, give me an additive that you could just pour in somewhere to stop tin worm and I would be interested ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2007, 09:37:37 »

it would seem so Mark....   James replaced the stat and stat housing....  and fitted new o rings on the transfer pipe, and it now seems to be behaving....  I just got back from sitting in rush hour traffic on the school rune ...  45 minutes of stop start,1 minute of 70MPH on the flat , 3 minutes of uphill 30mph, not one wisp of steam...
So no more Pug trips :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.