Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Petrol Stations  (Read 2751 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Best Petrol Stations
« Reply #15 on: 05 March 2007, 11:51:08 »

This was from the other day, suggests that it wasn't entirley confined to the south east:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6407447.stm

Apparently ASDA have been supplied by Harvest Energy (one of the culprits) in the SE.

I filled up at ASDA in Derby on friday and if anything the car is better than normal on the unleaded from there. Used 1/2 a tank over the weekend so if I was going to have problems, I would have thought it would have happened by now.

Naw....it only happens on the second 1/2 a tank...... ;)
I hope not, coz my first half is crap, and I'm off to Kingston tomorrow on the 3/4 tank I have left  >:(

You must have a tank and a half then!  

(OK, tank and a quarter    ;D  ;D  ;D )

He never could add up ;D
Trouble is, I did A Level maths (had to do in 1 yr though, not 2), and that means spending a whole year on talking about a number that doesn't exist, rather than the basics ;)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 March 2007, 12:08:27 »

Trouble is, I did A Level maths (had to do in 1 yr though, not 2), and that means spending a whole year on talking about a number that doesn't exist, rather than the basics ;)

Which is hugely useful in electronics as it describes the phase (amongst other things)....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2007, 12:16:46 »

Which is hugely useful in electronics as it describes the phase (amongst other things)....
And aircraft design as well apparently....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2007, 12:19:04 »

Actually, at the time I struggled to see the point (and wasn't explained to well by my incredible smart teacher who couldn't teach).  When I went to collegue to do electronics, I did have an advantage over those who hadn't covered the subject before.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2007, 15:10:52 »

Actually, at the time I struggled to see the point (and wasn't explained to well by my incredible smart teacher who couldn't teach).  When I went to collegue to do electronics, I did have an advantage over those who hadn't covered the subject before.

Sounds familiar. I quit my further maths A level because I couldn't get my head round all this imaginary number stuff.

Then I went and did an Electronics degree. First lecture on first day of first week of first term.... Maths lecture and they're back AAARGH!

I was the only one who knew which end of a soldering iron to pick up though. Not that that really helped until the 3rd year project which was worth about 5% of a degree.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 March 2007, 15:42:31 »

I was the only one who knew which end of a soldering iron to pick up though. Not that that really helped until the 3rd year project which was worth about 5% of a degree.

Kevin

The poor quality of the modern grads is very dissapointing....theory is reasonable but engineering is real world....I am no longer shocked by the lack of basic skills and knowldege any more....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 March 2007, 16:08:48 »

The poor quality of the modern grads is very dissapointing....theory is reasonable but engineering is real world....I am no longer shocked by the lack of basic skills and knowldege any more....

Most of the guys in my course just memorised stuff parrot fashion, and that got them a 1st in some cases. I can't do that. Once I've understood and used something it's locked up top forever. Until then it's a waste of time me trying to memorise it.

I guess the bottom line is that practical work costs more than churning out reams of notes to memorise so it's that which suffers when budgets get stretched.

Having said that I've had to deal with computer science grads who have never used a command shell. If I had to use a computer 100% using a GUI it'd feel like someone had cut my arms and legs off!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 March 2007, 18:34:43 »

Kevin

Personnel do initial paper shift, and try to put in as many grads as possible for our interviews. Then when we get the CVs we tend to discard most of the grads, as past experience has shown they are all brains, no common sense. They are fine at pure theory, but lost real world.

MCSE's, when I used to be a manager of a Windows team, are also a bloody joke.  My mum could get an MCSE, but I wouldn't let her loose on a server....

At interviews, I'm normally left to do the technical evaluations, an I have a set number of hugely simple questions (things like what 2 DNS records are required for a domain to receive smtp mail), and its shocking that the huge majority of 'experts' do not have the faintest idea....
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.