Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunday evening mystery?? But i think i know!  (Read 3098 times)

Taxi_Driver

Sunday evening mystery?? But i think i know!
« on: 04 March 2007, 20:06:52 »

VeccyB driver phoned me Friday....telling me remote wouldnt open the doors.....i said battery in remote might be flat and to change it.....so he did....tells me still wont open the doors.....so i tell him to use the key....he says alarms going off....no probs i tell him turn the ignition on and it will stop......no it doesnt he says....so i tell him to start it....wont start just turns over and alarm still going off  >:(

Im mystified by this and go pay a visit......after confirming remote wont open doors and veccyB wont start and alarm keeps going off.......i take the key apart.....and discover that in changing the battery hes lost the imobiliser chip from the key.....so tell him he needs to get a new key....if he carnt find the imobiliser chip. Problem solved i thought but couldnt understand why the remote wouldnt unlock the doors.  :-/

As a temp measure i give him my veccyC to use....he used it fine last night....he picked up from my house
Tonight he calls me and says VeccyC remote wont unlock the doors with the remote....im thinking wtf.....whats he doing!
Ok i tell him....unlock with key and turn ignition on.....he does alarm goes off but stops as soon as ign turned on.....will it start i ask....yes....great.

Now im thinking how come both veccy remotes wont unlock the doors parked at his house....hmmmm

Ok....i tell him....drive it about a mile away....so he does.....now stop and get out and see if remote fob now works....yes he says....works fine now.

Tell him to park it when he finishes working nowhere near his house......

Anyone thinking what im thinking???

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday evening mystery?? But i think i know!
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2007, 20:48:57 »

VeccyB driver phoned me Friday....telling me remote wouldnt open the doors.....i said battery in remote might be flat and to change it.....so he did....tells me still wont open the doors.....so i tell him to use the key....he says alarms going off....no probs i tell him turn the ignition on and it will stop......no it doesnt he says....so i tell him to start it....wont start just turns over and alarm still going off  >:(

Im mystified by this and go pay a visit......after confirming remote wont open doors and veccyB wont start and alarm keeps going off.......i take the key apart.....and discover that in changing the battery hes lost the imobiliser chip from the key.....so tell him he needs to get a new key....if he carnt find the imobiliser chip. Problem solved i thought but couldnt understand why the remote wouldnt unlock the doors.  :-/

As a temp measure i give him my veccyC to use....he used it fine last night....he picked up from my house
Tonight he calls me and says VeccyC remote wont unlock the doors with the remote....im thinking wtf.....whats he doing!
Ok i tell him....unlock with key and turn ignition on.....he does alarm goes off but stops as soon as ign turned on.....will it start i ask....yes....great.

Now im thinking how come both veccy remotes wont unlock the doors parked at his house....hmmmm

Ok....i tell him....drive it about a mile away....so he does.....now stop and get out and see if remote fob now works....yes he says....works fine now.

:(..Think he may have pinched the chip from yer key :y ;D ;D ;D...not nice.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2007, 20:57:40 »

They use rolling codes, so reasonably secure if you are thinking scanners etc...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2007, 21:09:24 »

They use rolling codes, so reasonably secure if you are thinking scanners etc...

Ummm...no i wasnt thinking that....nothing so major...

I think a neighbour of his has gone and got an illegal transmitter of some sort....and its interfering with the remote fobs .....makes sense too me.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2007, 21:12:11 by Taxi_Driver »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2007, 21:11:51 »

I think a neighbour of his has gone and got an illegal transmitter of some sort....and its interfering with the remote controls .....makes sense or too me.
The remotes are on the MPT whatever frequency, unlicenced, so every man for himself....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2007, 21:13:43 »

I think a neighbour of his has gone and got an illegal transmitter of some sort....and its interfering with the remote controls .....makes sense or too me.
The remotes are on the MPT whatever frequency, unlicenced, so every man for himself....
Although there is a maximum power allowed...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2007, 21:16:51 »

ok fair enuf......but does it sound plausable that a transmitter is interferring with both the fobs??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2007, 21:18:11 »

More likely the dozy git is pressing the buttons in his pocket etc, and thus out of sync.  Does it working after resyncing?
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2007, 21:25:05 »

More likely the dozy git is pressing the buttons in his pocket etc, and thus out of sync.  Does it working after resyncing?

I tried the veccyB remote myself.....it wont unlock the doors parked outside his house.
He doesnt know how to do a resync on the fobs.....VeccyC wouldnt unlock outside his house with the fob buts works fine when driven about a mile away. probably be fine closer to house....but not when parked outside i suspect

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2007, 21:26:48 »

i did try resynching the veccyB remote but it didnt make any difference

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2007, 21:30:13 »

:(..Think he may have pinched the chip from yer key :y ;D ;D ;D...not nice.

I think the dosy pillock has lost it!  ::)

Oh well that'll cost him nearly £100 for a new one  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2007, 23:15:56 »

What about eBay? Or maybe a friendly scap yard - they must have loads of spare keys that could supply a chip.
I need one too for one of my Astra shed keys .... but I think I may have a source  ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2007, 06:32:51 »

What about eBay? Or maybe a friendly scap yard - they must have loads of spare keys that could supply a chip.
I need one too for one of my Astra shed keys .... but I think I may have a source  ;)

Still has to programmed by tech2 or similar (cheapo tech2 is no good) ;)

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2007, 09:37:13 »

He doesn't live near a hospital does he?

I had this problem with a two or three hire cars at my old house. Never happened away from the house.

The first couple of times I managed to resync the fob using the key in ignition.
Last time it happened I called out the RAC (it was a hire car remember!). The guy said that he'd been to a dozen similar call outs in the last week, all of them within a mile of the hospital. He phoned through to their technical helpline and they asked if it was near a hospital also.

Never did get to the bottom of what exactly the hospital had that would cause such a thing. Maybe the MRI scanner was playing up!
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2007, 09:54:54 »

I think a neighbour of his has gone and got an illegal transmitter of some sort....and its interfering with the remote fobs .....makes sense too me.

433 MHz is shared by several users. Firstly, a load of license exempt stuff is on that frequency (weather stations, garage door remotes, etc...). These are restricted to brief periods of transmission so in theory wouldn't cause a problem..

I've heard that railways use frequencies in that region so if he's near a railway line that might explain it.

I think the military have some claim on part of that band. There are certainly places where you're not allowed to use it for military reasons.

It's also part of the 70cm amateur radio band so licensed amateurs can up to 400 watt transmitters at and around that frequency. A few milliwatts from a key remote will never break through that!

Do any of his neighbours have any interesting looking antennae on their homes?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.