Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my built-in phone legal?  (Read 6135 times)

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: Is my built-in phone legal?
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2007, 20:11:49 »

... I did hear of a report of a bloke driving on the M1 - while typing on his laptop!

That's a bit naughty  :o

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #31 on: 04 March 2007, 21:35:08 »

Studies have shown that more concentration is required to hold a 'remote' conversation than a 'local' one....

I dont know....tho an old dear sitting in the back asking about the price of fish when im trying to concentrate....is pretty remote to me  ;D

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2007, 01:07:03 »

I have to press buttons on my data unit when i get a job sent through.....never been stopped for that......tho i have wondered and hotel21 might be able to clarify......sometimes the base operator wants to speak to me.....and calls me on the SW radio.....to talk to them i have to hold a mike and obviously speak into it.....how does that fare with the new rules??  :-/
...just the same as the police would do in the normal course of their duties. Does this mean they will also be fined for communicating with base? Will they issue themselves an on-the-spot fine?

More seriously though, will they bother to turn their engines off if they pull over to the side of the road to answer an urgent call, and does it matter?
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2007, 09:35:42 »

Just my tuppence, no legal standing or comfort whatsoever......

The legislation continues to be applied to HAND HELD mobile phones.  The use of a wired earpiece and 'phone in your lap is not sufficient.  Needs to be a bluetooth earpiece and phone in a cradle, even a simple £2.99 market stall jobbie.

Pukka aftermarket installations are fine.  Its what thay are for.

Hard wired systems, like that in the later Omega are fine - its also what they were designed for, after all!

With the exception of the wired earpiece scenario, a certain ammount of button pressing is acceptable, ie one touch to connect/end call.  Anything else is bookable.

Crashes in the main occur due to inattention of the driver to events on the road around him/her.  The distraction could be due to having a conversation with a passenger in the car, changing a CD or retuning the radio, eating lunch, applying lippy, drinking from a bottle or can, lighting a ciggy, reading the paper or a map - whatever......  

The main issue here is the use of a mobile.  This use is legislated against, easily seen, proven and relevant punishments meted out.

The conversation/radio/lunch issues can be less obvious and are more subjective in interpretation by the police officers at the time.  More importantly, there is no specific legislation to police these assorted activities, other than sect 3 RTA 1988 - driving without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for other road users.  Note the last part.  This is normally left out when discussing such things....  

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter.  And don't forget the double jeopardy.  Done in the Court and then further done under the Police discipline regs (further fine, loss of pay increments, demotion, transfer etc etc)

Back to phone use.  Like any legislation, some applaud it, others throw stones at it.  Ultimately, its the Courts who decide.

caveat - my opinions are just that.  They are not legal guidelines!!    :y

B

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2007, 09:44:37 »

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter......   
:-X  :-X  :-/  :-/  :-X  :-X

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2007, 10:03:31 »

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter......   

Each to their own opinion.   :P

But check the rest of the quote as well, please.

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter.  [size=14]And don't forget the double jeopardy.  Done in the Court and then further done under the Police discipline regs (further fine, loss of pay increments, demotion, transfer etc etc)[/size]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2007, 10:08:14 »

.....sometimes the base operator wants to speak to me.....and calls me on the SW radio.....to talk to them i have to hold a mike and obviously speak into it.....how does that fare with the new rules??  undecided

This question was asked with relation to whether amateur radio operators could use hand held microphones. I think the outcome was that as long as the radio itself was not hand held it wasn't an offence, however, like everything else, if you're driving without due care and attention as a result...

There are some good wired hands free mics for mobile radios these days.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 March 2007, 10:36:50 »

Each to their own opinion.   :P

But check the rest of the quote as well, please.

As to Police Officers using their radio's - yes it happens and yes, they are exempt.  But if a crash occurrs due to such use, they get nicked just as much as Joe or Josephene Punter.  [size=14]And don't forget the double jeopardy.  Done in the Court and then further done under the Police discipline regs (further fine, loss of pay increments, demotion, transfer etc etc)[/size]

I could've been in the same boat (no pun intended  ::) ) when I was in the RN. It's just the 159mph .... and lack of prosecutions from speed cameras that tend to spring to mind.  ;)

Martin_1962

« Reply #38 on: 05 March 2007, 11:03:47 »

I would be interested in what a Policeman thinks about booking naughty mobile use.

Do you do everyone, or only obviously dodgy ones, would you do people in laybyes with engine running but parked?

Would you do someone driving fine on an open road who is on for 20 seconds?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 March 2007, 11:07:24 »

I would be interested in what a Policeman thinks about booking naughty mobile use.

Do you do everyone, or only obviously dodgy ones, would you do people in laybyes with engine running but parked?

No,
yes but not only,
no,
probably, but each case dealt with on its own merits.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 March 2007, 11:22:30 »

No,
yes but not only,
no,

Is it illegal then to stop at the side of a road, leave the engine running, and then answer the mobile?

Or must you switch the engine off first?
I like red cars

Martin_1962

« Reply #41 on: 05 March 2007, 11:36:15 »

No,
yes but not only,
no,

Is it illegal then to stop at the side of a road, leave the engine running, and then answer the mobile?

Rubbish part of the law - it is illegal but not at all dangerous, hence Hotel21 does not do you!

Martin_1962

« Reply #42 on: 05 March 2007, 11:39:35 »

No,
yes but not only,
no,

Thanks, sounds like real policing

Rock

• Windsor, Berkshire
  • Right turn Clyde...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 March 2007, 11:53:54 »

All properly fitted kits should mute radio, and have an option to autoanswer (and hangup)...  :-/

How does auto hangup work? What if you are calling someone else who is also on handsfree who has auto hangup?
Cambelt changed 03/12/06.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 March 2007, 11:56:29 »

No,
yes but not only,
no,

Rubbish part of the law - it is illegal but not at all dangerous, hence Hotel21 does not do you!
I imagine most coppers will use common sense.  You will get idiots in any job though, and the laws are black and white, so can't really argue if you are done in this way.

I guess some will do you on that technicality if you have been seen borderline misbehaving...?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.