Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing HBVs on in 2.0 and 2.2s. Any tips?  (Read 1016 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Changing HBVs on in 2.0 and 2.2s. Any tips?
« on: 18 April 2015, 14:29:13 »

I am changing my third heater bypass valve on a 2 litre Omega in 9 months. I now do it from above, removing vac pipe from manifold  for access. Having kinked a pipe last year using spring hose clips, I now use Jubilee clips, tightening after locating HBV. I realise risk of overtightening clips and cracking plastic. What do members do?

lesv6

• V6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Changing HBVs on in 2.0 and 2.2s. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2015, 23:05:11 »

Not worked on the 4 pots for years.  On V6 easy enough to refit original GM spring clips.

Shallow Al

• Lymington, Hampshire.
    • 3.0 Litre Elite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2015, 02:18:17 »

Did one on my old 2 litre. Put the old girl on ramps and went in from underneath. Had trouble as I remember, with the original, springy hose clips all pointing in the wrong direction to get anything on them to remove them easily. So maybe going at it from the top as you do Terry is the better way. I changed the hose clips for jubilee clips, can't remember why now. Probably couldn't get the originals back on and located using only one hand, don't think I had room for two.
A bit of a fiddle!
 :-\
I used to know everything. Then I got married.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2015, 08:07:35 »

It is much easier on 6 pot engines. I did my first 4 pot job from below. I managed to turn the clips until I could get grips on them, then slipped the clips back and forced off the hoses, replacing by reversing the procedure. Tried to do it again last summer, failed, took advice here, RobG said attack it from above after removing scuttle. Managed it, but kinked pipe pushing valve down into place, so replaced spring clips with jubilee clips, tightening when in situ. Did it similarly last week on different car.

I believe this is the best way to do it, but it is not easy, and I fear overtightening the jubilee clips and cracking the plastic valve. I was pleasantly surprised at the Vx TC price for the valve, £13.46 plus VAT.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2015, 09:55:41 »

Did mine from the top and used the proper hose clip tool borrowed from a friend,,,,pair of spring loaded pliers with a long cable on them...placed the cable end clamp on the clips ..squeezed the pliers together and they automatically lock allowing the clip to be removed and replaced easier...struggled with removing hose as stuck on but then used a proper hose tool to unstick the hose from the pipe...all apart from a few grazes and cuts job done. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2015, 21:20:30 »

I remember that tool, flyer. Machine Mart catalogue p.256 Laser flexible hose clamp tool. I meant to buy one on one of their discount days, but forgot all about it.As you say, the job leaves a man badly grazed. My right forearm is still badly grazed and bruised, and I did the job five days ago.
I collected sick car from Enfield last Thursday, adding water on the way home. I changed HBV but still car was losing water, eventually traced to radiator top hose pipe cracked. Have now changed radiator and all is well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.