Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspension Options  (Read 5558 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension Options
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2019, 13:07:16 »

I’ve had Boge fitted to 3.2 since 2012, still in good condition. Can’t see how Kilen could be worth double.

Also discovered a pair of brand new rear springs in garage, so means just need new front springs.

Would standard Sachs//Boge go well with B4 shocks?

That rang a bell, and when I checked my records, I fitted a pair of these to the rear of the TD Estate. My note here:
"119,500 Feb 10th 2014 Replace rear springs with BOGE 25-964-0. Not happy with the shape of these compared to OE. Would choose alternative next time." :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2019, 13:22:09 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2019, 14:53:25 »

Thanks.  :y

Not sure I need TRE’s or drop links, both appear fine. I was considering fitting polys to current wishbones, and just doing shocks all around, with springs.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2019, 16:27:55 »

Thanks.  :y

Not sure I need TRE’s or drop links, both appear fine. I was considering fitting polys to current wishbones, and just doing shocks all around, with springs.
If you're going to bother doing any of it and pay for the alignment, you would be well advised to do the lot in one hit. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2019, 18:44:55 »

Don't fit pattern TREs, they are all universally shite.  Whilst GM ones are £25 a pop, there are worth the extra.

Not sure you'd notice the different between B4 shocks v Sachs and similar.  Remember, B4 is Bilstein's OE replacement, not a sports shock.  I use Bilstein because they seem to last a bit longer than Sachs or GM, yet similar price.  *ANY* shock will feel stiffer that what you have, as yours will be getting tired.

Unless you drive spirited, and I've never known you to, no need for lowered, stiffer springs.  You'll just ruin its mile cruncher ride. And clearly you didn't drive that C Class spirited, else you would be pointing out how crap it really is.  TBE is on standard springs (can't remember brand, but one of the ZF ones), and for a reason.

Those tyres have loads on.  The only issue is the inner edge wear.  So I doubt you'll be putting new tyres on this Spring.

Given that you don't touch your car for years, I'd also recommend you give that ATP shite a very wide berth.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 January 2019, 19:18:42 »

It's all a moot point anyway... With the house extension going on, there won't be the time to get done, and a new car will probably be acquired  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 January 2019, 19:22:32 »

That said, not everyone earns £40k a year and can afford to maintain their Omega regardless of cost...

Nor do they drive their car to breaking point every time it leaves the drive.

On that basis I still maintain that £69 for both wishbones, track rods and droplinks are fantastic value for money.

I will say no more because it is starting to get irksome.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 January 2019, 19:34:35 »

That said, not everyone earns £40k a year and can afford to maintain their Omega regardless of cost...

Nor do they drive their car to breaking point every time it leaves the drive.

On that basis I still maintain that £69 for both wishbones, track rods and droplinks are fantastic value for money.

Yes to all of that.

Remember that wishbones/lower arms/TCAs/whatever stupid name the manufacturer came up with, are consumable items on any strut suspended car. Poly bushes are always a good idea whenever the design allows for them.

The ATP coil springs were a big improvement over my saggy 180k originals, plus I bought all four for barely more than one rear(estate rears are a lot more expensive than saloons) from any of the UK suppliers who actually had them in stock. My self-levelling was good(new GM shocks about 20k miles before), so I fitted stock rate springs which improved ride, handling and reduced the amount the compressor had to work to maintain ride height.

Replacing the top mounts,bearings and bump stops whilst the struts are apart is recommended.

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 02 January 2019, 21:20:09 »

Bag it and get the chassis rails touching ground.

Well.. it's an option, right?  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 January 2019, 22:10:30 »

Bag it and get the chassis rails touching ground.

Well.. it's an option, right?  ;D

we had an OOF member local to here who had done just that, and I saw the car a couple of months ago. Looked good, although it's not something I'd do.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2019, 22:43:34 »

Paul K from Dartford iirc ? White estate ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 January 2019, 23:27:08 »

Paul K from Dartford iirc ? White estate ?
The chap who bought it from Paul ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 January 2019, 01:21:38 »

Don't fit pattern TREs, they are all universally shite.  Whilst GM ones are £25 a pop, there are worth the extra.

Agreed, I'm not fitting ATP. I already have Lemforder wishbones and TRE's with Merle HD drop links, only change here would be to poly the front wishbone bush and perhaps refresh ball joint?

Not sure you'd notice the different between B4 shocks v Sachs and similar.  Remember, B4 is Bilstein's OE replacement, not a sports shock.  I use Bilstein because they seem to last a bit longer than Sachs or GM, yet similar price.  *ANY* shock will feel stiffer that what you have, as yours will be getting tired.

Can source full set of front and rear B4's for £175 delivered, hence strongly considering those.

Unless you drive spirited, and I've never known you to, no need for lowered, stiffer springs.  You'll just ruin its mile cruncher ride. And clearly you didn't drive that C Class spirited, else you would be pointing out how crap it really is.  TBE is on standard springs (can't remember brand, but one of the ZF ones), and for a reason.

C Class? Had a 2014 E Class for a month, I'll agree on one thing, Mercedes cannot design seats. They are bloody awful, after 60 min journey I'm glad to get out. Not impressed with fuel use either, could barley get 45mpg out of it. (2.1 diesel)

Those tyres have loads on.  The only issue is the inner edge wear.  So I doubt you'll be putting new tyres on this Spring.

I thought they would be an MOT fail, shall see in a few months.

Given that you don't touch your car for years, I'd also recommend you give that ATP shite a very wide berth.

Given that lemforder setup has been good for 6 years, yup.  :y

All work will be done by Serek, so just need to get all the bits.

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 03 January 2019, 08:54:32 »

we had an OOF member local to here who had done just that, and I saw the car a couple of months ago. Looked good, although it's not something I'd do.

There's an old Merc 180E around here (W201, the stuff of Al's dreams) that is bagged ("Bagged Benz" club, I believe) and I agree, cars like that can look very nice indeed.

I briefly considered it for the Cobra so it could get over speed humps, and now someone in the club has done just that to their AK .. surprised the purists haven't lynched him :D

Anyway, apologies for the drift. Back to our regular Tunnie bashing? I mean.. helping.

BTW, those tyres should pass an MOT any day of the week and not even need a tester who walks with a white stick - tread needs to be on the central 2/3rds (or was it 3/4s) and so that wear is well outside of "bothering" region. Keep 'em on until the cords are showing through...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 January 2019, 17:51:05 »

Agreed, I'm not fitting ATP. I already have Lemforder wishbones and TRE's with Merle HD drop links, only change here would be to poly the front wishbone bush and perhaps refresh ball joint?
Check the balljoints, and only replace if *any* play. Also check rearward bushes, and press new ones in if any signs of tearing.

TBH, if the balljoints are shot on non GM wishbones, I'd consider new, quality wishbones.

Once you've worn those tyres some more :D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.