Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are we out of lock down  (Read 5210 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Are we out of lock down
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2020, 10:30:01 »

.I've noticed loads more cars on the road. On my way home from work last Sat I was virtually the only car on the M61. This week there were loads more

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2020, 10:48:04 »

Shooting people doesn't require training, dealing with it does.
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2020, 11:23:50 »

My parents and my wife's parents are all in thier 80s and are in that inevitable slow decline to death.

There is a small part of me, that I try to keep hidden and subdued that thinks. If they did die, now. At least there'll be an inheritance. And there carefully saved rainy day fund can be my rainy day fund. 1/3 of both lots of assets woukd allow me to retire.
Obviously I don't want that to happen which is why they are being treated like they should be. We are doing shopping, and leaving it at their front door.......

I sympathise as I have first hand experience of this with my parents. Over two years ago my mum was struck down with a stroke (my dad was already registered disabled). She has been chair bound since that day, totally reliant on carers for home care. I was made POA so had to deal with everything. You start caring for them with a good heart, doing everything within your power to make them comfortable, whether it be doing their shopping or fitting rails etc. I get phone calls at all times, whether it be day or night. I love them to bits but it gradually wears you down, so much so that you start to give up on life yourself.  ::) It would break their hearts to know what they have done to my life. My weekends are written off because they rely on me and I can't sleep because I'm waiting for the phone to ring. I can't drink because I may have to shoot off at any time because something has happened.
Financially my parents were very comfortable, and happy in the knowledge that my sister and I would inherit their hard earned savings and the house.
The reality of them having decent savings after both becoming disabled is: Carers visit = 4 X £18 per half hour visit per day. Times that by 2 for both of them, double it on Bank Holidays, Christmas etc. and you'll soon watch over £120K disappear before your very eyes.
I was naive, never having had to deal with anything like this before, so I just paid the bills as they rolled in each month. My parents owe me nothing, I've never asked them for anything, so I let it happen. I'm sure a lot of people would have robbed them blind but that's not me. My inheritance will now be a big fat zero as they are now both on social care anyway, being below the financial threshold now. My annoyance is that they didn't spend the money on themselves, they could have had such a good life with all that money but they chose to save it for me and my sister to inherit. Ironically, the Coronavirus Lockdown has been the longest rest I've had from working full time and my other evening and weekend duties.  ::)
So folks, please learn from this as you'll only get one bite at the cherry. Look after your own kids now if you so wish, as one day it will be too late, as my parents found out.   :'(
Apologies for droning on.  :-[
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 19 April 2020, 11:38:57 »

This, thankfully, is one aspect of life I've never had to deal with. Dad went suddenly when he was 77. Mum is 90, but still at home with my youngest brother who lives with her. She's ailing, of course, but my bro is able to do the shopping and look after her in general. She's still all there (she's on the phone to wifey right now) but is one of those who will go to bed and not wake up, I think. She blames the hospital for seeing dad off, so will absolutely refuse to go if the time comes.
We never had any money in our family, so that aspect doesn't come into it.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 April 2020, 11:42:43 »

Have done both , you quite obviously haven't.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2020, 12:01:26 »

You say that like it's a bad thing... ::)

My point being that kids and idiots regularly shoot people without a second thought. Training involves alot more than simply pulling the trigger ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 April 2020, 14:40:26 »

JCB with a thumb bucket on the boom arm to pick up the ones you can't scoop up with the loader bucket
bin lorry to compact and transport to land fill

obviously ,being a sociopath helps too   ;)

where do i sign up  :-\  LINKY ??

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 April 2020, 14:56:38 »

JCB with a thumb bucket on the boom arm to pick up the ones you can't scoop up with the loader bucket

Dare I say " The good old days"
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 April 2020, 15:07:51 »

There was a chap from Austria, who had a few ideas on how to get rid of people en masses, Trouble was after he was found out, The greater world didn't agree with his ways.
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 April 2020, 15:53:00 »

There was a chap from Austria, who had a few ideas on how to get rid of people en masses, Trouble was after he was found out, The greater world didn't agree with his ways.
Covid 19 is similar , killing the "weak"
people ignoring lock down, social distancing etc are covid 19's foot soldiers

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 April 2020, 15:59:09 »

Covid 19 is similar , killing the "weak"
people ignoring lock down, social distancing etc are covid 19's foot soldiers

Exactly right they are the enemy of people who don't mind abiding by the rules & really it's only sensible advice , stay home & practice social distancing simple really.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 April 2020, 16:19:34 »

Exactly right they are the enemy of people who don't mind abiding by the rules & really it's only sensible advice , stay home & practice social distancing simple really.
Not sure about the "don't mind" part , it's costing a bloody fortune  ;D :D
BUT it's viral to try and reduce the spread of a virus ,which ,despite all the "experts" ,know very little about  :(
if we can keep as many people alive as possible (by lockdown and social distancing) until we do know more ,and have a plan to deal with it, that  is the price we will have to pay .

until i'm bankrupt anyway  ;D :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2020, 18:30:01 »

BUT it's viral to try and reduce the spread of a virus ,which ,despite all the "experts" ,know very little about  :(
if we can keep as many people alive as possible (by lockdown and social distancing) until we do know more ,and have a plan to deal with it, that  is the price we will have to pay .

Its worse than that imo. I object to the fact we had to have rules about it. I object to the state interfering and imposing rules on my everyday life. As I  think Im able to take responsibility for myself.
I understand that with individual freedom comes responsibility, and this case is almost the ultimate responsibility, in that being irresponsible could easily kill other people.
Unfortunately there are those who walk among us who don't understand the concept of personal responsibility, so we have to have a temporary Soviet style state, just to try and force them into not killing people they don't even know.
If only we could herd them into one space and let them be as irresponsible as they want to be with each other.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 19 April 2020, 18:32:50 »

Its worse than that imo. I object to the fact we had to have rules about it. I object to the state interfering and imposing rules on my everyday life. As I  think Im able to take responsibility for myself.
I understand that with individual freedom comes responsibility, and this case is almost the ultimate responsibility, in that being irresponsible could easily kill other people.
Unfortunately there are those who walk among us who don't understand the concept of personal responsibility, so we have to have a temporary Soviet style state, just to try and force them into not killing people they don't even know.
If only we could herd them into one space and let them be as irresponsible as they want to be with each other.
If you give people responsibility, they go up onto the moors and set fire to the place, as they have done today. Tying up about 70 appliances, I heard.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/people/fire-crews-tackling-huge-moorland-blaze-near-burnley-2542998

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2020, 19:17:33 »

Just shows how self centred the minority of the population are at the expense of the majority ,

I wonder what would be the position have been  if some form of government intervention hadn’t been applied .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.