Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Front wishbone bush replacement  (Read 10642 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Front wishbone bush replacement
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2018, 13:56:20 »

I was advised to leave them alone as VX ones don't tend to wear out. This was about a week after I had renewed them as part of refurbing the wishbones.  ;D
Only fly in the ointment for most people is removal / refitting the rear bushes. I had a press at work I could use, but a local engineering shop could do it for a few quid.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2018, 16:21:25 »

Booked my car in with my Vx dealer for the wishbones complete to be replaced.  Like suggested by some, Vx now only supply the wishbones, from Germany, complete with all bushes, so that is the route I am taking.  Not cheap, even with TC, but then I should never have to have them done again! :y

At the same time the Vx dealer is replacing the cam, and all other belts, plus water pump.  They will then carryout out a major service.

Once more, not cheap, but I can then relax for another 4 years! :D ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2018, 16:24:52 »

How can you apply trade club discount, if they are doing the work in house?  :-\

Also, for the cost you must be shelling out for that, I would suggest you take it to SOS Automotive and let Serek do the work.

Given Vauxhall dealers have never seen a V6 Omega for years, they won't have a clue when it comes to changing the cam belt. They will be pouring over the books to read up on how it's done, I'd give serious thought to cancelling that and take it to Serek.

You are paying a huge premium for a poor job.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2018, 16:30:01 »

Lizzie has a friend who works at her local VX Dealers so expect they know her car by now

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2018, 16:31:30 »

And her bank account details  ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2018, 16:46:16 »

Just to dollop another seed of doubt into Lizzie's already well-soaked-in-doubt mind, even something like the wishbones need to be torqued up once on the ground, otherwise even the best quality front bushes will tear and fail in relatively short time.

I am not saying that your local Dealer, or indeed anyone else well-versed in Omega maintenance won't do this job to the correct standard... only saying that there are other folks out there who would at least do the same job for less pennies... or indeed a superior job for less pennies.

Just wanting you, as anyone, to be aware of all the facts before you go ahead with anything  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2018, 17:12:27 »

How can you apply trade club discount, if they are doing the work in house?  :-\

Also, for the cost you must be shelling out for that, I would suggest you take it to SOS Automotive and let Serek do the work.

Given Vauxhall dealers have never seen a V6 Omega for years, they won't have a clue when it comes to changing the cam belt. They will be pouring over the books to read up on how it's done, I'd give serious thought to cancelling that and take it to Serek.

You are paying a huge premium for a poor job.

Because they take TC off the parts, then also the labour, which I have got another 10% off.

They have looked after my Omega's for years, with me just doing the servicing, so they have a good track record with me for all works, like the cam belt and even air conditioning systems, and that I can say after they honoured my claim after a new compressor gave out after just 2 years, paying back all the costs.

I know their General Manager well and I know they will look after me.  Yes, it is at a cost (£1,800, inc parts £947, all in), but I can afford it to keep my baby on the road for, hopefully years ahead; until I give up motoring, with full warranties covering all works.  I keep warm and comfortable whilst professions do all the work.  I have got to the age where I just need some peace, and not have the worry of arranging everything required to carryout this particular schedule of works.  It also means my service history on the miggy is kept bang up to date from new, and I have the receipts and garage stamps to prove it.

Yes, I know I am probably mad, but I love my very comfortable Omega and will pay to keep it running.  I looked at a brand new Insignia today, and enquired how much a full bloodied, big engined, well loaded one would cost me at the best discount I could get: £27,000 (and I reckon it would be more than that, but that is what the salesman said)!!!  Now what is going to be the depreciation on that per year, over the next 3-5  years, and after that time there would still be all the regular maintenance costs??!!

Instead I have a lovely Omega that cannot depreciate anymore, and my big outlay for all the major servicing scheduled works out at just £450 per year over 4 years.  I only do 4k miles per year, but I have a 'limousine' that does everything I want, whenever I want, and can take me to the ends of the earth if necessary! :D :D

That is my reasoning, but I DO appreciate your comments tunnie, and all the others from you great fellas, and I DO KNOW I am mad like some others on here! ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 17 September 2018, 17:14:59 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2018, 17:18:23 »

Lizzie has a friend who works at her local VX Dealers so expect they know her car by now

Yes indeed amba, the General Manager, and all in the garage know my car very well indeed. :D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2018, 17:19:02 »

When refurbishing, don't forget the ball joints...

Whilst it is feasible to renew them on the car, it is significantly more straightforward to drill the rivets out on a bench. :y
On GM wishbones, only worth doing if knackered.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2018, 17:21:37 »

"Instead I have a lovely Omega that cannot depreciate anymore, and my big outlay for all the major servicing scheduled works out at just £450 per year over 4 years.  I only do 4k miles per year, but I have a 'limousine' that does everything I want, whenever I want, and can take me to the ends of the earth if necessary! "

and that's a fine sentiment, and closely worded to what I (try to) tell work colleagues/neighbours.

And that's less money per month than most people pay in their korean plastic buckets.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2018, 17:23:30 »

I use a chrisgixer when I need new bushes.  Keeps him out of mischief for an hour or 2 ;D

Which reminds me, I think my white van man avoidance tactics might have broken the Black Pussy, feels like a front bush.  Give him something to do whilst I scoff (Mrs CG does a mean breakfast) :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 September 2018, 17:24:53 »

at just £450 per year
Blimey, a pair of rear tyres comes out more on my jalopy  :'(
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 September 2018, 17:30:16 »

at just £450 per year

Yes, I pay £106 usually / currently per corner, but that is normal wear and tear, with my tyres (usually, baring punctures) lasting for over 5 years. :D ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2018, 17:35:53 »

As said - drum it into them that they MUST torque the bolts up with the weight of the car on the front wheels. Otherwise, the bushes will tear apart in no time. Although, that would then be a good excuse to polybush the front of them. Due to the design, polybushes can be tightened with the wheels in the air.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 September 2018, 17:35:56 »

at just £450 per year

Yes, I pay £106 usually / currently per corner, but that is normal wear and tear, with my tyres (usually, baring punctures) lasting for over 5 years. :D ;)
They are only rated to 5yrs from manufacture, not fitting ;). Not the that is an issue for us on either car.  We both like a good, dependable tyre :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.