Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How the hell do you write a business plan ?  (Read 6896 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: How the hell do you write a business plan ?
« Reply #45 on: 09 March 2018, 16:30:09 »

Zirk   :)

That's pretty much what I was thinking in my head but much more eloquently put  :y :y ;D

Thanks  :)

Eloquence would require less of the redundant jargon.
I thought the plan was to help out with TG's future Venture, maybe I read it wrong  >:(
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 16:32:26 by zirk »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 March 2018, 11:27:31 »

Okay, the last bit which is doing my head in  ;D

My competitors ..........

I HAVE TO  >:( list 3 or more of my competitors and give pricing structures, Call out charges and Labour rates.

The above I can bullshit because anybody in there right mind will not give a figure over the phone.
I can use my old rates then add 10% plus VAT for there's  :y

I also have to list 5 of there strengths and 5 of there weaknesses. 
This bit is really REALLY doing my piggin head in  :-[ >:(

I have a alarm to sort out today so I will be in and out but please feel free to add sensible input  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 March 2018, 13:00:06 »

Just remember the most important point, the PROFIT forecast.

Believe it or not I used to regularly have to remind others in the past that PROFIT is all important, but sometimes even good managers list everything else of they think is important but not that main one!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 March 2018, 13:49:24 »

Believe it or not I used to regularly have to remind others in the past that PROFIT is all important, but sometimes even good managers list everything else of they think is important but not that main one!

True that Lizzie but lets be honest here, all financal projections go out the window after day 1  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 March 2018, 14:39:21 »

Beyond making you stop and and set out a clear plan for your business, which is a really good thing, and not to be dismissed, is there any other /benefit to this grant?

What I mean by that, is could you not simply become self employed and start the business whilst simultaneously signing on with an agency for some temporary work doing whatever is going just to bring the cash in to help get you going?
Onanists always think outside the box.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 March 2018, 15:04:06 »

Beyond making you stop and and set out a clear plan for your business, which is a really good thing, and not to be dismissed, is there any other /benefit to this grant?

What I mean by that, is could you not simply become self employed and start the business whilst simultaneously signing on with an agency for some temporary work doing whatever is going just to bring the cash in to help get you going?

Its going to take a while to get the word back out and for people I know to get back to using me again (if they ever do)  :-\
Yellow / Colour pages wont be out for 12 months and leaflet / local paper is a waste of time so £1245 tax free with very little strings attached is easy money IF I get past this stage.

On the part time job front, I have a few irons in the fire right now ............... Halfords for instance (the manager is a friend  ;)).
I could have had 16 hours at The Range were I did a merchandising job last week but it was 4 x 4 hour shifts with no set shift pattern :(
The company who I did the merchandising for (I used to work with the boss at one of my last employers) has agreed to hold payment until I can sign off and contact HMRC for my new self employed reference number

On the plus side, I made a decent impression on a casual merchandising job last week and i've been told I will get more work out of them and a memeber on here has given me a heads up on a product which could make us both some money  :y

I just need a YES / NO answer over this grant.
Once I get a answer either way, its talk to the HMRC time and away I go  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 March 2018, 15:10:42 »

Going self employed is always a gamble. Only way to find out is to give it your best shot. :y

Are there any work restrictions upon receipt of the grant? ie would you be able to do any job as you get yourself established?
Onanists always think outside the box.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 March 2018, 15:20:00 »

Going self employed is always a gamble. Only way to find out is to give it your best shot. :y

Are there any work restrictions upon receipt of the grant? ie would you be able to do any job as you get yourself established?

Not really
By rights I have to put more hours into the business then the part time job which is fair enough imo, the great thing on that is the business hours isn't just time on my tools, you can take into count things like paperwork time, internet / social media research time or even hypothetically visiting a potential contact or customer  ;)

I can only see it turning to poo if I do 40 hours on PAYE then claim I run a business too because the first thing they will ask is when do you sleep  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 March 2018, 22:56:37 »

True that Lizzie but lets be honest here, all financal projections go out the window after day 1  ;D

Correct, like generals and their battle plans and never lose sight that bragging about turnover is ego and profit is reality. There is nobody on this planet that cannot run a business at a loss, making a consistently profitable business needs considerable more effort and skill to work out where you can add value with your unique, well marketed, desirable products and services. Expressing why your offering is better than your competitors to make those profits and thinking about and coherently expressing this is what your business plan should be about. If you can't do that, then be honest with yourself on why your business will succeed as it is a blind situation that rarely ends well. Good service always has value so concentrate on this as your strategy as being just the cheapest can end up as a race to the bottom with the biggest pockets surviving by gaining market share from the fallout as weaker competing businesses fail.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 March 2018, 13:14:41 »

Well that's submitted
Fingers crossed i'll find out either way over the next couple of days  :y

Thanks to all those who imputed  :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 March 2018, 11:27:47 »

I received a email last night stating i've got the grant and it should be in place by the end of next week :y :y

Thanks to all those who imputed, it was a great help  :)

Okay, another quick question about HMRC this time  ::)

When signing up as self employed, it used to be that you had to inform them within 90 days of the first paid job.
Is this still the same ?

Just wondering if I can hang it out informing them until after the 6th April (begining of the new tax year) ??

aaronjb

« Reply #56 on: 16 March 2018, 11:38:48 »

Congrats TG :y No idea on the other question, though, and the HMRC website is confusing: https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

You need to register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance if you’ll earn more than £1,000 from self-employment between 6 April 2017 and 5 April 2018.

You still need to do this if you’ve sent a tax return before.

Register by 5 October in your business’s second tax year. You could be fined if you don’t.

Highlighted part implies you can wait, though..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16 March 2018, 12:11:26 »

Congrats TG :y No idea on the other question, though, and the HMRC website is confusing: https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

You need to register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance if you’ll earn more than £1,000 from self-employment between 6 April 2017 and 5 April 2018.

You still need to do this if you’ve sent a tax return before.

Register by 5 October in your business’s second tax year. You could be fined if you don’t.

Highlighted part implies you can wait, though..

I guess that timing is so they can request a tax return which will then be due (online, at any rate) by the end of the following January.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.