Author Topic: Issue?  (Read 1049 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Issue?
« on: 06 July 2019, 18:04:19 »

Last year a new radiator and new thermoswitches were installed on my Elite.Earlier this year I finally got round to fitting a new thermostat[to replace the lazy one it had from the day I bought it]and a new temperature sender unit and coolant temperature sender.Since fitting these latter parts the temperature gauge has got up to an indicated 90 then dropped back to 85 before back to 90 and back down again and repeating this process 2 or 3 times before finally settling at 90 at which point the rear fan and the nearside front fan would kick in and continue to run until some seconds after the engine was switched off.I'm sure that before the thermostat etc. swap the fans would kick in and lower  the temp enough to switch themselves off while the engine was still running and then kick in again if the temp rose again.Both my Volvos certainly operate in this manner as have all the other cars I've worked closely with.To this end today I've fitted yet another new thermostat,temperature sender and coolant temp sensor.If this doesn't alter anything could it be one or both of the radiator thermoswitches is duff?Which thermoswitch controls which fan?Or could there be another problem I've not thought of?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Issue?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2019, 18:30:17 »

Got the plugs on the coolant bridge the wrong way round, and stuffed them? as one's 5v, the other 12v... plug the wrong one and it fries the smaller sensor.

Not sure this would cause these issues, but can you rule this theory out, for peace of mind?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2019, 19:55:07 »

Got the plugs on the coolant bridge the wrong way round, and stuffed them? as one's 5v, the other 12v... plug the wrong one and it fries the smaller sensor.

Not sure this would cause these issues, but can you rule this theory out, for peace of mind?
Doesn't apply to the gauge sender :y

The gauge, ecu, thermostat and fans are all completely independent unless the ecu sees a dangerous temperature and it can then over ride the radiator fans.

Sounds like there's more than one issue here as the thermostat should be doing the basic coolant flow throw the rads and the fans doing the fine tuning :-\

Aircon working as it should? If the answer to this is no, then all bets are off because you instantly loose two thirds of the fans. It is possible that the thermos switches are the wrong way round on the radiator although iirc the wiring position doesn't allow you to plug them in if you swap the upper and lower ones :-\ could be wrong...
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2019, 22:44:42 »

The only two plugs near the back of the engine that I disconnected were the one for the CTS and one more to the n/s that seems to go to the rear multi ram[?] Aircon doesn't work[never has]all three fans operate when doing the fan test but under the running conditions I've described when the fan kick in it's the rear one plus the n/s front one.I don't think the plugs for the thermoswitches can reach/fit the wrong ones but will certainly check this next time I get to the lock up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.