Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant weep musings....  (Read 1925 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Coolant weep musings....
« on: 07 July 2019, 22:30:37 »

Got a big service due, lots of niggles I want to sort. Chiefly a coolant weep - maybe a litre a month/6weeks? Most likely would be oil cooler top plate, however I am not ruling out things like porous or bad hoses, jubbly clips not done up tight enough, etc.. As I only fitted a new rad maybe 6 months ago this adds another potential 'failure point' to the mix. My question is...

Each of the various sensors on the main rad requires a washer/seal ring - should these have been replaced as per crush washers, or was I fine reusing the originals?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant weep musings....
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2019, 01:38:30 »

I reused unless obviously leaky ;)

Don't rule out the header tank... They crack around the neck, but at first glance it looks like part of the moulding :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2019, 15:40:06 »

Ta.  :y

I'll be checking everything! But tiny stuff like that very easy to miss.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2019, 07:32:02 »

I've always re-used them with a wipe over of fine wet and dry paper. I think previously I may have put a very fine smear of grey sealant on the radiator facing side of the washer on a used radiator.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2019, 08:25:29 »

Check auxiliary pumps, these leak as they get old, can be resealed by disassembly and bit of silcon.
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2019, 13:37:45 »

As the coolant's being dumped, there's opportunity to take all out and check the state of the washers - may do as you suggest and 'refinish' them with emery.

Biggriffin, that's the electrical one that are between the block and rad, and there's another one on the OS inner wing, yes?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2019, 13:51:15 »

As the coolant's being dumped, there's opportunity to take all out and check the state of the washers - may do as you suggest and 'refinish' them with emery.

Biggriffin, that's the electrical one that are between the block and rad, and there's another one on the OS inner wing, yes?
One under coolent bottle, and one on the radiator (fl)
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2019, 19:24:38 »

AIUI the one under the coolant bottle is only there if the car has the "winter pack" fitted? My f/l Elite certainly doesn't have one there,only the one on the back of the rad below the top hose and upper fan thermoswitch.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2019, 21:46:03 »

AIUI the one under the coolant bottle is only there if the car has the "winter pack" fitted? My f/l Elite certainly doesn't have one there,only the one on the back of the rad below the top hose and upper fan thermoswitch.
It should have one as it has climate control :-\ it's the pump that runs coolant through the heater with the engine off...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2019, 22:17:06 »

Tanks all  :y

Been and checked, nothing visible under the header tank, and one on the NS of the rad. From memory my old FL would run its climate after shutdown, (may be dreaming that) but no such feature on my superior PFL  ;D :D

To be fair there was a small weep from that pump, I re did the jubbly and all seemed fine... that said I still have a coolant weep. So a new hose or studying this again well worth it. May well be escaping as vapour now, not anything quite as visible as a drip.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2019, 08:17:16 »

There's definitely not one under the header tank on mine and I don't think it's ever had one.There's something below the header tank that appears to be something to do with cruise control[?]could be wrong on the purpose of whatever it is there.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2019, 14:00:01 »

Yeah, big box, couple of cables going into it, one terminating at the throttle body, that's the cruise.  :y

I'd suggest that old hoses once disturbed sometimes don't seal as they did - I'm guessing this is a known/common phenomenon?

Like I say, the one heading to the NS pump did drip not long after I changed the rad. It does seem like there's a coolant/cinder toffee smell near the rad. But smells travel, could easily be coming out of the coolant bridge and wafting anywhere.  :-\

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.